On The Wings of a Buzzard - Build Thread - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Leslie
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Leslie S

Total Props: 0
On The Wings of a Buzzard - Build Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi

And so it begins; this is the build thread. The re-construction, re-engineering, resurection, abonimation, bastardizing, or just plain building of what was in the 1940's known as the "Buzzard Bombshell". Call it what you want, it cannot be as per the original plans. This plane is mean't to fly R/C for fun, and certain areas of it will be altered from the original, all for the sake of modernization and convenience.

We work off a 1973 RCM Plan #521 of the Bombshell, freeflight updated to R/C at that time. A fellow member and friend sent me an invaluable original construction article, and my husband is doing the re-engineering where required. Hopefully, I'll be doing the building for the most part.

Some of this thread may be repetitive from past posts, but, we'll be implementing some of the advice offered by other more experienced flyers. This includes increasing the firewall thickness and adding some length to the front fuselage to assist balance, and allow for a 10oz. fuel tank. Further, we prefer a bolt-on wing over elastic secured.

We made a "short kit".

This is how it goes,. Lives must be lived. With all that's happening, we'll see how it go'es this week.
Leslie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1
Re: On The Wings of a Buzzard - Build Thread

Good morning Ls - thanks for the kind sentiments - have found the sidebar and will now try and attach it!!!
Wow - it took two of us 45 minutes to defeat all the obstacles that Picasa and RCC presented us with, BUT WE DID IT! Keep up your posts - they brighten up an otherwise sometimes mundane tone!
Regards, Spitball.

Last edited by Spitball; 10-24-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Leslie
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Leslie S

Spitball - You consistently help out with valuable info; you go right out of your way! Thankyou

Today, I begin construction of the wing. Before it's laid down, I've run into the first obstacle. The bolt-on wing system must be considered.
Guy scratched in a re-engineering of the center wing rib that we think will be OK. Our plan is to make a new 1/8" hard balsa wing rib and sandwich it with 1/16" doublers. The "tongue" of the rib will catch into former F3, and the rear of the wing will be held down with 1/4x20 nylon bolts into a hardwould block. Not really assisting the weight factor, but, we can't come up with a better idea.

Does anyone know of a better way? I've got some time to hear from the pros before I commit to the center wing rib. Sure would like to hear from the vast pool of the more learned.
Leslie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

If your hardwood bolt block is from what I can see 1/2" x 1" and probably going the width which is extra weight I would use 1/4" x 1" balsa with 1/8" ply plates on the bottom. If you drill and tap your holes then wick thin CA in the threads and when hard retap them it will be very strong. I have not used hardwood for years for wing mounts and when weight was critical (racing) I used this method.
Hope this is of some help.
John
Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

Also put small thin ply discs (scabs) onto the top of the trailing edge to spread the stress of the screws being repeatedly fastened down, I would say. It's an undercambered wing section so get some advice on making the covering stick to the concave lower surface, for the covering material you intend to use - last u/cambered wing I covered was with silk and dope!! You should not have any difficulty in getting lots of tips! Regards.

Last edited by Spitball; 06-24-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in