UPS and Canada customs......... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 11:34 AM   #1

Total Props: 57
UPS and Canada customs.........

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I don't know who is worse anymore.
Recently I purchased a BVM Super Bandit kit from a friend in the US. Against better judgement I had him ship it UPS ground to me.
Well, within the first 2 days, it had miraculously travelled from Los Angeles California to Fredricton New Brunswick!!!!!
I discovered this when UPS called me asking for a little more info on the shipment. I asked where my package was sitting now and was told it was in their warehouse in New Brunswick! Why on gods green earth would they send it over double the distance it takes to get it to me?????
So, the next day, guess where it is? Sacramento California!!!! so now it's already travelled almost 8,000miles!!!!
The next day it ends up in Roseburg oregon and sits there for a day.
The next day it travels a whoping 177 miles into Portland Oregon. Then about 4 hours later it makes it to Redmond Washington. It can travel 8,000miles in 2 days but can barely make 400 miles the next day?

Well, whatever, as I sit anxiously watching the tracking online and envisioning my Bandit in way more pieces than it should be I see this.......

Quote:
A VALID TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER OR DEFERMENT NUMBER IS REQUIRED FOR CLEARANCE
I don't know what the hell this is about so I call UPS. I had already told them in the previous phone call that it was a personal shipment so why do they need a tax ID number???

Well, I am told that "Canada customs rejected the shipment the first time the paperwork was sent through so we have resubmitted different forms"
Why was it rejected???

"Canada customs says they need to investigate the receiver of the shipment, the product involved, and the receivers ability to use, and intentions for this product"

WHAT??????

Miraculously it cleared customs last night, but what the hell is that about, I need to be investigated as to my ability to use the product and what my intentions are?????

So, anyway, if you are having items shipped up to Canada from the US, maybe specifically turbine jets I don't know, be prepared for some of the most ridiculous BS you've ever heard in your life.

I do have to say I'm thankful the UPS broker was able to get it cleared, there have been times with mail that I have had to drive to Calgary to the canada customs office to appeal my own shipments before they could be released and that is a major pain in the butt for me.

Here's hoping my bandit is still in original kit form, not rekitted form.
And good luck to anyone having stuff shipped to them from anywhere. My biggest fear is with the way Canada customs has been opening packages if they opened my bandit did it even get packed safely again?
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
Ken W
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ken W

Total Props: 1
UPS!

Just wait about a month until they send you another bill because Santa flew over the North Pole!
KenW
Ken W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:55 PM   #3
Kelly W
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 6
Sorry to hear about your fiasco Jeremy, I hear ya...

For those of you living near the US border, you may have a much better option. In Vancouver, we are located close to the mainland US and a small land-locked chunk of the US called Point Roberts. It’s a small peninsula that protrudes just a few miles past the border and has a grocery store, a dozen gas stations, a marina, and not much more...

There are a few small businesses that act as package receivers, just so Canadian customers can receive their own goods, save on those $#*%&#$ brokerage fees, and handle the transaction at the boarder themselves. All you need is a receipt (or a printout off eBay if that's the case) and you'll pay GST and PST on the item's value. Make sure to only give them the item's value, without shipping because that's not taxable.

I’ve heard of similar businesses across the country, but for you Vancouverites the place that my friends and I use is called the 'The Letter Carrier'. Is about 1000ft into the US on the right hand side. They charge something like $2US per package. We’ve been using them for ~8 years now, no problems at all...

Now the irony of Point Roberts... You don't pay any brokerage fees since you’re picking it up from the US side, but..... In order to get to Point Roberts, the packages goes through Blaine on the mainland US, then it’s transported through Canada to get to the delivery location in the US again. Go figure.

Kelly

Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
flysrcs
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Jeremy,

I bet that customs seen the words "JET, or "Bandit" and thought that you were importing a real jet into Canada and "Homeland Secutriy mught be breached".
Good luck and I hope that it was not used in UPS's famed game of Postal football.
Dave
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:04 PM   #5
Fodder
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Scott

Total Props: 0
Just wait until you get the brokerage bill from UPS . hopefully it won't be that bad

Scott
Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #6

Total Props: 57
Credit card was charged by UPS for taxes and brokerage at $272.54, that's about what I was expecting as $200 of that was GST, considering the crap going on with customs right now, I won't bitch about the $72 for brokerage.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
man o man...

I try and avoid UPS as well, for more reasons...

A few years back I accidentally double paid the duty/tax on some chair parts I order from a company in Tennessee. It took me a hundred phone calls and fax's and god only knows how many hours of my time to finally get my overpayment back ( about $200) - over ONE YEAR from the time I made the payment!

Good luck Jeremy... you wont forget this episode I am sure!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:53 PM   #8
rcjetguy
RCC Contributor

I am: Ed P.

Total Props: 0
I'm of the same opinion. If you're a Canadian buying from USA or any foreign country DON"T even EVER think of UPS OR any other similar courrier service no matter how small or inexpensive the item. It has cost me way too much every time. But I'm getting smarter! rcjetguy
Old 10-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26
Jeremy:

Your shipping woes may very well be the result of the customs and LEA concerns described by flyrc. UAVs (unmanned or uninhabited aerial vehicles) are capable of posing a real and identified threat. Couple that with the good 'ol U.S. of A's paranoia surrounding the export of sensitive technology, it's easy to understand why a relatively large box labeled with words like "jet" and "Bandit" might raise some eyebrows. Hope your aircraft arrives in good shape - the building season begins .

Cheers,

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 PM   #10
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
Another business receiving packages is "Package Express" in Sumas, south of Abbottsford. They charge $3. They are on the net and respond to emails quickly. They provide excellent service.

http://packageexpress.com/
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in