**Heli Safety** - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #1

Total Props: 57
**Heli Safety**

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
In the recent light of red_z06 child (Justin Chi) having a near fatal crash on his helicopter.
What is MAAC responsibility to Canadian pilots with respect to shows, funfly and demonstrations?

Any views?
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
CHEVPRO
RCC Contributor

I am: Todd N
Radio of choice:
Dx9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4
OK, I'll answer! As long as you are following MAAC guidelines you are covered as a pilot. Pretty straight forward.
CHEVPRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #3

The child is a sponsored and endorsed pilot, is he still covered?

Old 09-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Why would you think it would be any different than for an adult?

Also, not to take away from the seriousness of a heli crashing into a person, but the injury was not "near fatal".
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinic
Why would you think it would be any different than for an adult?

Also, not to take away from the seriousness of a heli crashing into a person, but the injury was not "near fatal".
The guy got hit in the head with spinning helicopter blades going 2000+ RPM close to fatal as one can get!
Different for a adult ? well, I know a lot of pilots that could crash but every one of them know and under stand the liability with there flying, and would not start a rainbow toward the crowd.

If a sponsored pilot drives to an event then he is also acting on the wishes of that company he is sponsoring...would MAAC cover them and would the organizers still let them fly, Regardless of age?

Colin Bell started demoing young, but he understood the ability of these heli's to harm some one Justin does not, well not to the point of a young adult never the less a mature Adult.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #6

double post
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Heli3dflyr
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Alex D

Total Props: 0
The gentleman who was hit was not hit directly- the heli crashed slightly behind him and to the left and he was hit with heli shrapnel. Still a bad scenerio- apparently it was not a radio hit either- Justin is on 2.4ghz SS

Edit: my source was edited with the crash info- he may have infact been grazed

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t374049p1/
MAAC Member #75939

TRex 600N Pro FBL, TRex 600E CF, T-500E GF, T-Rex 450L 6S Dominator, TRex 550 DFC, DJI Phantom, DJI 550 H33d, DJI S1000 Z15
Heli3dflyr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Hardly near fatal. He got stitches on his forehead and has a swollen eye and checked out of the hospital the next day. Exageration has no place in safety discussions.

You clearly have a problem with Red permitting Justin (a 5 year old) to fly. You have a right to that opinion, but Justin is not your child. It is also not our place to say if he should fly at events or not - that is the call of the event organizers and officials.

You asked if he would be covered by MAAC as a child and sponsored pilot - I simply asked why it would be any different for a child as opposed to an adult.

If an adult is a sponsored and endorsed pilot, does MAAC coverage still apply? I think that it does. If sponsored meant that an adult had no coverage, then it would apply the same to any member - age is not a factor with respect to sponsoring and coverage.

Why not title this appropriately (i.e. "5 year olds shouldn't fly") and just vent that Red permits Justin to fly at all?

If Justin hurts someone because of his age, that is Red's responsibility, not ours. Red has already said that he accepts the responsibility (in this post in response to YOU).

Why not just continue on the threads already in progress:
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t374022p1/
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t374049p1/
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743727

Clearly you feel very strongly about this issue and I can respect that, but you don't need to make the man feel worse than he already does. Would you do that to any other fellow modeler? Think about that when you fly and hope that you never find yourself in a similar situation.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Clearly you feel very strongly about this issue and I can respect that, but you don't need to make the man feel worse than he already does. Would you do that to any other fellow modeler? Think about that when you fly and hope that you never find yourself in a similar situation.
Safety is a Hugh concern of mine! not sure by your statement its yours.
If it was my accident I would honestly stop flying.
If I was told my son/daughter is a danger to fly because of his age and I did not do every thing possible to protect him/her (buddy box) then this happened, I assure you they would stop flying.

MAAC has gotten back to me and people who take money for flying they are NOT covered, and so far a blind eye has been turned for sponsored pilots coverage, in light of this and other accidents that have taken place over the summer I hope MAAC looks into this.

AS for Justin he cannot possibly comprehend this. And his Father should have know this, but like hockey Moms and Dads he may not have realized it...I'm glad NO one was killed and hope this turns out to be a eye opener.

Call the post anything you want but open your eye's
Old 09-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=36330

If Bryan had crashed and his heli had hit someone, would you conduct yourself in the same way?

You are kicking a man when he is down - a fellow modeler.

I truly hope that your promise to quit the hobby if you crashed into someone is never put to the test.

Quote:
Safety is a Hugh concern of mine! not sure by your statement its yours.
Do not question my commitment to safety, sir.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in