Post your favourite mix and what it does...... - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 01:22 PM   #21

Total Props: 57

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Rolling circles are a bit of a quirky manuver in that it usually takes a higher than normal flight throttle setting to fly around them (at least for the backside), lots of drag on those controls when you do it. Never thought of using throttle hold to do that, unique idea.

Now the rolling loop, there is a fun one. The trick is to do the downward side of the loop at 3/4 or so throttle If you throttle back the drag from slipping the model is excessive enough to really slow you down Just remember to get on that throttle on the way up!

Anyways I digress
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #22
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by can773
Rolling circles are a bit of a quirky manuver in that it usually takes a higher than normal flight throttle setting to fly around them (at least for the backside)....
I'm curious, why would the backside of the maneuver (I assume you meant the furthest point of the circle from you the pilot) require more throttle? I've never noticed this.... :
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:40 PM   #23

If the throttle setting is too low, the drag from doing the manuver (you are using all controls and essentially slipping the model or you should be anyways) can really decrease the speed of the plane during the first portion (especially on a 4 roller with reversals at every quarter). If the throttle is not increased a bit during the last half of the manuver you will likely need to decrease the roll rate (a downgrade) to keep the diameter of the circle the same and end up where you started.

If your throttle setting is high enough to begin with you probably wont notice or need extra, but we generally dont fly with that much power during normal flight.

Also dont forget most of these circles are massive, probably approaching or exceeding 800 feet in diameter, so have a lot of "hang time" to lose speed.

Old 06-05-2003, 01:46 PM   #24
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum

Different entry I guess. I generally enter with low power/low speed and add power as I begin the maneuver.... then again, as I'm not a pattern flyer, I've never been judged for this maneuver....
Old 06-05-2003, 02:51 PM   #25

There is no wrong approach to entering a manouver (well maybe there is). Anyways the key it to maintain constant airspeed, as you lose airspeed through a manouver you must correct for that loss of airspeed usually with more control throw and in turn more loss of speed. The key is visually being able to determine (or better yet feel the plane) when you need to add more throttle to keep the plane doing the same speed, making the control inputs a constant during the flight (for similar manouvers).

Master that art and you are probably one of the top 10 in the world. I have only ever seen it done to a near level of perfection once, that was at the Worlds in Ireland by CPLR, even Somenzini who placed second had some fairly major airspeed changes during flight (but flew exceedingly slow compared to the rest, which was neat).

There are certain manouvers that if entered too slow is just asking for major mistakes.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:06 PM   #26
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
wow, rolling circles... I do those sometimes by accident

I have read a thousand times in Dave Patrick's book on aerobatics how to do it, but the series of control inputs still overwhelm me..

I remembered another mix I used on one plane. The mix fed in some down elevator with increase in throttle, to stop it from zooming up. The engine was set at the proper incidence and it was just a characteristic of the plane I guess (probably should have just set more down thrust now that I think of it).
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:59 PM   #27

Andrew

Start off by doing nice straight slow rolls.....now make them not so straight A rolling circle is just a slow roll that goes around a corner, same with a rolling loop. Dont change the control inputs that you put in, just modify when you put them in and the duration that they are held for.

Not really any more complicated than that (well maybe a little).
Old 06-06-2003, 07:24 AM   #28
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum

The fun begins on the incoming leg.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcIntyre
The fun begins on the incoming leg.
If you stand on your head and cross your eyes during that part, then it gets much easier
Old 06-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #30
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum

I'll have to try that, I generally hold my breath and curl my toes while trying to look non-chalant.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in