RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
yinewang
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Smile Flying site near Toronto

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys, I just joined the site, and actually the hobby too. I'm really into those 50''-70'' wingspan warbirds. I had a few questions.
(1). are stuffs from nitroplanes anygood? I just bought a EPO foam P-51 mustang RTF kit(55'' wingspan) still on shipping. and i'm really looking forward to buy some thing either same size or bigger, but made of balsa or glass fiber. and uses a gas engine instead of motors.
(2). say if i managed to get one of those 70'' wingspan warbirds, any suggested place to fly it? do i need a license to fly such thing?
please comment,
thanks
Mark
yinewang is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237
Re: Flying site near Toronto

check the MAAC web site for a club in your area .the club will provide all the info you need .humber valley may be your best choice if learning .you will also need MAAC insurance and have to be cleared by a instructor to fly on your own .Roger
Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Kargon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 41

Welcome to RCC and the hobby.

1) Regarding Nitro Planes, most of their planes are a good value. The CMP line of warbirds are a great value and fly well, however the instructions are sparse and NOT beginner friendly also the hardware is of low quality and needs to be upgraded.

2) You don't learn to fly on a warbird and you are not allowed to fly in a park. Join a club, learn to fly and progress towards warbirds.
Our club has a large group of warbird flyer's. You are welcome to come up and ask questions and see what we do.

Cheers,

Karl
Kargon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Riddick
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: jay
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4GHz
# of RCs: 4

Thumbs up Re: Flying site near Toronto

Welcome to the wonderful world of r/c. Go check out your local hobby shop and talk to them about flying sites and clubs. They can also recommend the correct planes to learn on.
Riddick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
yinewang
RCC Apprentice

thanks for your comments guys. I realized a warbird could be very hard to fly and i'm planning to get a 180 trainer from nitroplanes or from some local hobby shop. so i guess the first thing i do is to join a club, right? i will do that. thanks again guys
Mark
Old 03-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
ardumbba
RCC Noob

Which city you locate in GTA?
ardumbba is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
yinewang
RCC Apprentice

Etobicoke (dundas & islington)
Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

hvrcf.org
Top end of Kipling (just north of Steeles)

meeting tomorrow night at Canadian Air and Space Museum, check the website

lifetime Etobian, Eric.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #9

Total Props: 57

Your two closest clubs (if memory serves me correctly) is the Humber Valley Club whose field is near Kipling and Steeles, the Mississauga Model Flying Club near Mississauga Road and 401, and the Brampton Club (not sure of their field location).

Find the local clubs, drop in for theri regular meetings, drop in at the field, and get a feel for the club that best suits your personality and where you feel comfortable. Talk to the instructors for their recommendation of what you should be using a a trainer and follow it.

All MAAC-registered clubs have an instruction program ("Wings") which gets you airborne and flying on your own in a safe and controlled manner.

Learning on your own can be expensive in terms of time and airframes.

Also, remember that most municipalities seriously frown on the use ofr RC aircraft in their parks, and can get you anything from being told to "go away" to being arrested for trespass and being fined for violating by-laws.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
IdeaBeing
RCC Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinewang View Post
Hey guys, I just joined the site, and actually the hobby too. I'm really into those 50''-70'' wingspan warbirds. I had a few questions.
(1). are stuffs from nitroplanes anygood? I just bought a EPO foam P-51 mustang RTF kit(55'' wingspan) still on shipping. and i'm really looking forward to buy some thing either same size or bigger, but made of balsa or glass fiber. and uses a gas engine instead of motors.
(2). say if i managed to get one of those 70'' wingspan warbirds, any suggested place to fly it? do i need a license to fly such thing?
please comment,
thanks
Mark
If you really want to learn on a warbird, I'd suggest the E-Flite T-34 Mentor RTF kit. It comes with absolutely everything you need, including a Spektrum DX6i that is more than adequate for future planes.

The plane itself is a docile, if underpowered low-wing military-style trainer that comes with wing droops and flaps that, if desired, will slow this thing down to a leisurely and forgiving stroll.

When I brought this in to learn at my club (Humber Valley) people almost complained that it wasn't enough of a challenge to learn on, as it was practically flying itself.
IdeaBeing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in