First Flight/battery longevity? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
olympiadriver
RCC Apprentice

I am: Duane V

Total Props: 4
Elec First Flight/battery longevity?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
got my first flight in today. hobbyzone super cub lp. it was short. didn't crash, just the propellor cut out on me and had to glide it down. had more wind than I would of liked, but was so anxious to fly that I couldn't wait. the battery was last charged in october when I got the plane, but never flew it till today. I am guessing it lost some charge and killed power to the prop.
I credit my safe landing to my time on my phoenix flight simulator. I practised on it a lot, and found it very similar. I practised with wind, no wind, landing with wind and no throttle. I think thats what saved me. LOL
so aside from my story, is it normal for a lipo battery to lose its charge from sitting? if so, how long can I expect a charged battery to stay charged?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: First Flight/battery longevity?

All batteries will self discharge from just sitting, some faster than others. Also, would not suggest you leave a lipo fully charged just sitting, you'll reduce its life.

I'd say the longest is 1 week sitting to either use or put down to storage charge or charge again to full charge before use.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Midnight Heli
RCC Contributor

I am: Andre S.
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2
Quebec Re: First Flight/battery longevity?

You want to know more about LiPo? Go check this link http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
olympiadriver
RCC Apprentice

I am: Duane V

Total Props: 4

Thanks for that link. It gave me lots of info that I didn't have before.
I just have the cheap charger that came with the plane, so I assume I need a better one to be able to charge them 40-60%.
Just being new to this, having very low knowledge, what would be a good charger to get. nothing too elaborate.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Scott_
RCC Apprentice

I am: Scott A.
Radio of choice:
DX5e
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0

I'm using the stock charger with the stock battery (as well as another batt with the same specs) and I get 10 minutes with the floats on. So you should get plenty of time out of a charged battery with the stock charger.

I can't reccomend much in the way of a new charger as I've only used stock thus far. I'm sure someone else will come along to help with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in