Geo-fabric runway at Keswick - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #31
Kargon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 41
Re: Geo-fabric runway at Keswick

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
There are so many negative nellies who throw out every excuse why this shouldn't be done at their specific club! Every club that has put geotex in can't stop raving about how great it is and they have nothing but regrets aboit not doing it sooner.

Yes there are concerns but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The club execs better get with the programme or they wont be in an exec role for long!

If a club of 100 put in $10 each the cost would be more than covered with lunch and coffee for the work party.. I for one would contribute more since I love warbirds and the retracts are part of the scale beauty. My repair costs in the last 3 years from crappy fields far exceeds the cost of an entire Geotex runway..
Then come out this Sunday for our Warbird fun-fly and check out the runway for yourself.

Here is the info...https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=200361

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #32
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Great info! Was considering this a few years ago and as a result of this info I may raise the point here in BC. Looks great for electrics etc., etc.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #33
ogopogo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John M
Radio of choice:
FrSky Horus 12S
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargon View Post
Then come out this Sunday for our Warbird fun-fly and check out the runway for yourself.

Here is the info...https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=200361
going to be doing just that

Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #34
Argus
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4

Nice looking field.

Quote:
The latest addition to our runway two months ago was a geo-fabric runway
Is the geo-fabric used on your runway similar to landscaping fabric found at building supply/hardware stores, except being heavier/professional grade?

Quote:
Thanks for your concern. I am interested in the material, but am concerned about heli usage not plane usage. Our club is considering this for heli pads, but I would rather the club didn't spend money on something not up to the task. Cement would be best, but not an option at our location.
If you want to use concrete (but is considered to not be an option), what about using patio blocks- I do know they come (or used to) in sizes up to 24"x30". Lot easier to remove than poured on site concrete.
MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
Kargon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus View Post
Nice looking field.

Thank you

Is the geo-fabric used on your runway similar to landscaping fabric found at building supply/hardware stores, except being heavier/professional grade?
The geo-fabric is more like the blue tarps that you can get at Canadian Tire but denser material, tighter weave and much tougher, the fibers are so strong that they would cut into your skin before breaking if you tried to break a single fiber.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #36
gothicbunny
RCC Contributor

I am: Don N

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus View Post
If you want to use concrete (but is considered to not be an option), what about using patio blocks- I do know they come (or used to) in sizes up to 24"x30". Lot easier to remove than poured on site concrete.
The problem with patio blocks is there would still be a seam for skids to catch in and possibly cause a tipover.

There is a local club that just put down a geo textile runway recently. I think we just need to go take a look to have a better understanding of the material.

Has anyone painted runway lines or anything on theirs? I would also be curious if it would take that well and just adds a little extra touch.
gothicbunny is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #37
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

More Info on Geo Runway in earlier thread if you missed it.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...=137831&page=3

Thread has their strip at 600 x 34'
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #38
Yard ape
RCC Contributor

I am: Joe D

Total Props: 3

We also at the London club followed Sun Parlour Rc clubs lead and put down geotext. the club loves it. Put about $1400 into it. $1200 for the 15x300' roll $100 to deliver, $100 for sod staples 2x6". once laid down the fabric tightened drum tight in the sun after 3-4 days. we just put Round-up down to kill the grass, rolled it and put the down the rwy in 2hrs. We used GTF-404 fabric.

YA.
Yard ape is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

After flying twice on Sunday, both were using the runway I have to say it wasSOOOOO much better than the usual grass runway!

A little short and coud use taxiways but an amazing surface! There were a couple of repairs that were well fixed and of no concerns.

A few Dandelions were pushing through the staples but those dirty little s can grow on fresh lava as far as I know, and were also of no concern.

The small trench around the runway was perfect for keeping the wind from getting under the fabric.

It was drum tight and supported a 10lb model without flinching.

Thanks for hosting the event...
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #40
Argus
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4

Found an article on wikipedia regarding airfield construction during WW2. There were a few different materials used for temporary advance airfields used by the Allied tactical airforces.

Quote:
Runway types[edit]Instead of using rough, unimproved dirt strips, engineers used surfacing material necessary to strengthen the soil to support the weight of the aircraft and as a measure of insurance against the wet weather. Airfields were initially single runway landing strips which were laid down east–west (09/27) unless local conditions dictated a different runway direction.[1]

Sommerfeld Tracking[2]
ALGs laid in the UK were of Sommerfeld Tracking a form of stiffened steel wire mesh.

Square-Mesh Track (SMT)[2]
The surfacing material selected for the building of advanced landing grounds during the first weeks after the Normandy invasion was known as square-mesh track (SMT). SMT, a British development, was material composed of heavy wire joined in three-inch squares. It was chosen over other surfacing materials because it was very lightweight, allowing sufficient quantities to be transported across the English channel on over-tasked landing craft. Easily workable, a SMT landing mat for fighters could be laid like a carpet in about one week.

Prefabricated Hessian (SMP)[2]
After the initial batch of airfields was completed using SMP, the Army aviation engineers switched almost exclusively to another surfacing material known as prefabricated hessian (burlap) surfacing (PBS or PBS). Light and easily transportable, PBS did not create the dust problem encountered with SMT fields. Made of an asphalt-impregnated jute delivered in rolls 300 feet in length and 36 inches or 43 inches in width, PBS was laid in overlapping layers to produce a dust-free fair weather surface. It was also common to build airstrips using both SMT and PBS, laying SMT on top.

Pierced Steel Plank (PSP)[2]
To provide an all season durable airfield for the Ninth Air Force's medium and light bombers, a third type of surfacing material known as pierced steel plank (PSP), or Marsden Matting was introduced on the Normandy bridgehead in July 1944. It consisted of 10-foot-long (3.0 m), 15-inch-wide (380 mm) steel planks joined together and laid perpendicular to the line of flight. Long used in other theaters, PSP would have been ideal for all airfields on the continent, but its limited availability and greater weight made this impractical. Moreover, because of supply problems, construction of even a PSP fighter-bomber field could take a month or longer, while similar PBS and SMT fields could be constructed in two weeks and one week, respectively.

In addition, Sod and Earth runways were built for Emergency Landing Strips (ELS) and Refueling and Rearming Strips (R&R). Captured airfields contained a wide variety of runways, most commonly Asphalt; Concrete; Macadam or Tar-Penetrated Macadam
The one most interesting is the Prefabricated Hessian - an ashpalt impregnated burlap.
MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in