smoknrv4
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
DX 18QQ
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 55
Re: Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gambler View Post
Still fly the original Yak outside myself! Sure enough, doesn't need much wind to get bullied around, but such an awesome plane! I even painted my Yak so I can spot it easily outside.... (yes, I know, funky colors!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkoWicPIZs

Until then, still waiting for a smaller wingspan indoor airplane from Gaston!
Nice flyin' there, thanks for the vid, I've been flying mine outside on the calm evenings around the caldesak (wrong spelling I'm sure)in front of my house, its perfect for that and the kids love it! Outside is nice, less walls to bang into when practicing rolling circles.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
Maac#45310
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #1152
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 6

Greenguard

Here's a pic of the first Greenguard foamie I just milled and assembled. The boards are not as wavy as blue foam but there are some drawbacks.
1: It's slightly heavier approximately .6 oz on the Sbach.
2: It's more brittle
3: The milling is not as nice, even though I use special foam router bits, but it still doesn't look too bad, blue foam was easier to mill.
4: The color is closer to light gray, which actually looks good.

I just hovered it in my rec room and found it to fly very well, as soon as the winds die down, I'll try it outside and let you know my findings.
Within the next couple weeks, I'll be trying another type of foam and keep you updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenguard Sbach 002.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	109468  
Old 06-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #1153
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknrv4 View Post
Nice flyin' there, thanks for the vid, I've been flying mine outside on the calm evenings around the caldesak (wrong spelling I'm sure)in front of my house, its perfect for that and the kids love it! Outside is nice, less walls to bang into when practicing rolling circles.
Hi Jonathan
It's nice to hear from you, hopefully we'll meet again next indoor season, by the way the proper spelling, I think, is cul-de-sac but don't ask me to translate it, it doesn't make sense in french either...

Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #1154
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjets View Post
Too bad about the wind, I've been waiting for good weather for quite a while, the couple times I flew outside, when there was no wind, it was a real blast, I love it.
Your flying is awesome on that video and I like the colors, good job.
Thanks. Color probably added many grams, but I'm getting old, and really need to see what's up and what's down quickly (and where it's going)

As I said, I do not have access to a room large enough to fly it, so I made it outside only! July is coming, so tons of days without wind soon! YEAH!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #1155
smoknrv4
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
DX 18QQ
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 55

Hey Gaston, I just put the HK motor (2204 14T)on the yak tonight and I like it a lot, i was having serious issues with spool up on the E-Flite Park 250 motor, not sure if it doesn't like the gws prop or what, anyways back in business outside tonight.
Almost got the rolling circles down pat too.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
Maac#45310
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #1156
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknrv4 View Post
Hey Gaston, I just put the HK motor (2204 14T)on the yak tonight and I like it a lot, i was having serious issues with spool up on the E-Flite Park 250 motor, not sure if it doesn't like the gws prop or what, anyways back in business outside tonight.
Almost got the rolling circles down pat too.
Hi Jonathan
I've also switched back to the 2204-14, it seems to the best choice.
Glad to hear that you're also doing well with the rolling circles, I was quite happy whe I finally did it last winter.
Congrats
Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #1157
ronljroy
RCC Contributor

I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 18

Gaston, I still have about 20 sheets of the blue foam left. R U interested? I can likely take them down for your fun fly. I have a couple of members who bare using them for their own design, so should check with them first, but any left overs can be yours for the asking. I prefer to buy the kits from you as all necessary parts are included.

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!!!"
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #1158
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronljroy View Post
Gaston, I still have about 20 sheets of the blue foam left. R U interested? I can likely take them down for your fun fly. I have a couple of members who bare using them for their own design, so should check with them first, but any left overs can be yours for the asking. I prefer to buy the kits from you as all necessary parts are included.
Hi Ron
Sounds good, I'll buy them from you, bring them over.
Gaston
Old 06-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #1159
foamball
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Art L

Well, well, well, looky at the action back on this forum... GREAT! Now I knows what's yu fellers are up to... Did someone say July and no winds??? Ha, that would be great...
Now, the green foam.... Good report Gaston, it looks like if might do the ticket for the larger profiles I like, example, 40" sBach... I'm working on one right now, and so far, it's used scraps of the blue foam, some white Depron, and mainly EPP... But, with the weather we've had lately, NO WINDS, I aint had much time to build, but, will get at it again, after todays festivities, Papa's Day.... Gad, who knows, maybe I'll have a nice scale kit to build... or am I daydreamin again..
hey thanks for the results on that green foam, no to get some interested parties to split the cost and awayyyyyyyy we go....
By the way, Belmont Ollie, you sound busy to.
OH ya, where the heck do you find those decals for the wing, on the sBach?????
See ya around....
foamball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #1160
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Hi Art

As I mentioned earlier, I built and flew a Foamy made with Greenguard, I'm sorry to tell you that this stuff is too brittle, if you try to bend it it'll break right away, if you don't touch anything it'll be fine, If I was that good I wouldn't need tough foam, I'd use Depron.
I was waiting to get some Owens Corning fanfold when I go to the Soo next weekend from Cec Marshall and from Lock City building Materials but Dan from Cambrian gave me a piece yesterday at the GWN minifunfly. I couldn't build a plane with it because it was too narrow but this material looks even better than Dow's blue Fanfold, it seems to have the same characeristics but slightly thinner, could end up a bit lighter.
I'm hoping to build a pink foamy as soon as I come back from the Soo funfly next weekend, I'll keep everyone posted, it looks very promising.
Art, if you were asking about the decals on my Sbach, I make them with my laser printer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in