Electric Conversion Chart Glow to Electric - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Electric Conversion Chart Glow to Electric

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was perussing the H9 site and came across this chart. I think it will be invaluable to us that know nothing about electrics. Pick a plane you have look what it needs . you can even use this to cross reference at hobby King for those of us on a little tighter budget than others. In my case I'm just plain Cheap

http://www.hangar-9.com/Resources/Electric_Chart.aspx

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Lakota
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Don M

Total Props: 0
Re: Electric Conversion Chart Glow to Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifly2104 View Post
...you can even use this to cross reference at hobby King for those of us on a little tighter budget than others. In my case I'm just plain Cheap

http://www.hangar-9.com/Resources/Electric_Chart.aspx
And a link to another chart that conveniently cross references the E-Flite motors from previous chart to equivalent HXT (Hobby King), or Scorpion, or a few others that are currently out of my wallets range.
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...ison%20Web.htm
Lakota is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
robonline
RCC Contributor

I am: rob z

Total Props: 0

This chart is good if you are new and just want to find an electric set up that works, or are not interested in going any deeper into the technical parts of E flight.
Keep in mind that the systems that are recommended are just one way to go. They are not necessarily the best or worst and that there are many other components that will work too.
It's like when a kit maker recommends that you use a 40 size engine (6.5CC). There is a big difference between an OS 40 LA and a Jett BSE 40 even though they are both 40 size engines. There can be a big difference between electric systems and the only way to know in both cases, I.C. and electric, is to check out the specs, do some research and to learn about the things you are looking at.
It's kind of hard to say what E system equals a 40 size engine when even the term 40 size engine can mean such different things.
There really is no accurate way to simplify this and I think the best way is to forget trying to convert I.C. to E at all, and begin the process with what E system will give me what I want, completely ignoring the IC needs of the plane. You will never get an accurate result by saying what glow engine works well here and then trying to convert it to electric.
I'm not trying to poop on your post here hifly2104, just trying to point out that to use these charts you do give up a lot of other possibilities. By going at the problem fresh, without the glow being considered, there may be another system that Hobby City has that works better.
Rob.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robonline View Post
This chart is good if you are new and just want to find an electric set up that works, or are not interested in going any deeper into the technical parts of E flight.
Keep in mind that the systems that are recommended are just one way to go. They are not necessarily the best or worst and that there are many other components that will work too.
It's like when a kit maker recommends that you use a 40 size engine (6.5CC). There is a big difference between an OS 40 LA and a Jett BSE 40 even though they are both 40 size engines. There can be a big difference between electric systems and the only way to know in both cases, I.C. and electric, is to check out the specs, do some research and to learn about the things you are looking at.
It's kind of hard to say what E system equals a 40 size engine when even the term 40 size engine can mean such different things.
There really is no accurate way to simplify this and I think the best way is to forget trying to convert I.C. to E at all, and begin the process with what E system will give me what I want, completely ignoring the IC needs of the plane. You will never get an accurate result by saying what glow engine works well here and then trying to convert it to electric.
I'm not trying to poop on your post here hifly2104, just trying to point out that to use these charts you do give up a lot of other possibilities. By going at the problem fresh, without the glow being considered, there may be another system that Hobby City has that works better.
Rob.
Hey I totally agree with what you say,but for those of us that aren't in the know yet, its a good starting point. There was a RCC member last week that was looking for something like this(Ben). I have converted three planes using larger electric motors than most . I am a mechanic and a hands on type of guy.I have used motors I think will work for me and batteries to go along with them,warm weather will let me know if I was correct. I even had some input from a few on here that are very knowledgeable and they agree my planes should be fine.I even found a compareable plane on Hobby King and it recommended a smaller motor than I had chose. So its really how much you understand a subject and what you can make of it without pushing it to its extreme limit.Oh and just one more thing I see planes that recommended engine size is lets say a 40 to a 60 size,well don't yah know someone will try and shoehorn a 75 to a 90 in there

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.

Last edited by hifly2104; 03-13-2009 at 07:56 PM.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in