Maiden of Smith Miniplane with wankel - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
RCcanuck
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John M
Radio of choice:
ix12,DX9
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 14
Re: Maiden of Smith Miniplane with wankel

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
10 x 5 prop.
Took the advice from williame3590 and everyone and set the throws, added quite abit of weight to get the CG almost right. Bumped up the expo and got the motor purring. Will go for Maiden 2 this weekend.
RCcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #12
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Re: Maiden of Smith Miniplane with wankel

Thought so! It looked & sounded like it had too much prop. Diameter is ok but a 4 or even 3" pitch will put it up into it,s power band. Don't worry about not enough speed with those pitches as the engine's increase in RPM will more than make up for it! That bit of nose high wallowing around just after take off shouldn't have happened, you should have enough power there to go nearly vertical unlimited!

Unless that little bipe is heavier than it looks.

William is right about the lean run, mine would put out a smoke trail almost as if it had a smoke system on it! As supplied out of the box these engines had no low end mixture adjustment so they ran slobbering, dirt rich at low RPM's in order to get enough fuel at high speed. Even at 1/2 throttle they run rough but smooth out at full song.

I fixed mine by drilling an air bleed hole in the body of the carb to lean out the low end. An OS 25 FP carb looks like a direct fit & it has an air bleed adjustment so would be a better fix.

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 11-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in