Canopy In 3D AutoCad Needed - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
Canopy In 3D AutoCad Needed

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm developing a plug to mold a very large canopy 1/3 scale canopy.

I'm looking for someone that can provide me with profile shapes for this plug. The profiles can be generated with whatever program you may be familiar with, approximately every 1/4 inch. Canopy length is approx 31 inches. I can supply the 2D AutoCad file.

Second, can anyone take this task from start to the finished plug, or even the finished Pet-G plastic parts???

Mike Emilio - Toronto
work (416) 635-4404 ext 6076
emilio.me@forces.gc.ca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_3_scale_p51_0002_102.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	8526  
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
smark
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Stan M
# of RCs: 12.

Vacuum canopy

Mike
If you already have the ACAD file for the canopy, are you looking for someone to generate a 3D solids file? I would guess that you could have a plug STL'd out and get it mind bogglingly accurate, but it's going to cost you a mint!

This vacuum form probably will be a very deep draw so you might want to consider doing it in two parts, the windscreen and the moveable rear bubble. Perhaps you may consider drawing the plastic into a female cavity instead of a male plug so that the top of the canopy isn't super thin. The edges will be thinner, but you can double up plastic here to simulate the canopy framework.

If I might suggest, there is a industrial model builder, Hodgins Patterns, in Ashburn Ontario who is a genius. He does all the prototype handmade models for many industrial products all the time. You would be surprised at the product we use everyday that he made the first "touchy feelies" for. He also did the miniature boat models for the Weall and Cullen gardens. Industrie's best kept secret.

His name is Bill Hodgins at 905 655 4046. He can make the plug for you and then can suggest some vacuum formers who might take a crack at the forming of the PETG. He might have good luck if you just buy a replacement canopy part from a large model of a Mustang and give him the canopy to copy.

If you need x-sections, I work with Kubotek KeyCreator. I could TRY to generate your geometry and then cut it up to whatever section interval you want. 0.25" section interval for a 31" canopy may be overdoing it a bit.

Either way let me know.
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #223
smark is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

Smark . . .
Can you give me your email. I can send you the 2D AutoCad file of the canopy and you can let me know what you can do with it.

Mike

Old 04-19-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
smark
RCC Junior Contributor

Seems to be going OK. I'll probably have most of the geometery done tomorrow, and then I'll post a rendering.
I can then sent to you the geometry in IGES or SAT file.
What program are you using?

Stan
Old 04-20-2005, 07:15 AM   #5
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

I'm using AutoCad LT. Can you output a dxf. file?
Or is there anything that can convert your file to a dxf.?

Mike
Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
smark
RCC Junior Contributor

DXF is no problem.

Stan
Old 05-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

3 Dimensional Solid Modeling

For those that have not followed this subject, the task was to build a canopy plug for a 1/3 scale P51 Mustang. This canopy is 31 inches long!

I just have to let the world know about the fantastic work that Stan Mark did. He sure knows his stuff manipulating 3 dimensional solids programs. Working from my 2D drawing parameters, Stan created totally stunning 3D solid renderings that was then sliced up to create plug profiles. I have created a separate Addendum #1 drawing, to the 1/3rd scale Mustang plans for the canopy. I have added Stan's name to it, giving him full credit for his superb work. Now I just have to get going and start cutting wood for the plug.

A number of you already have the 1/3rd scale drawings. I would like to hear from those that work out various retract and engine installations. Addendum drawings will be developed for every configuration I get.

This model at 148 inch wing span will propably be the only one of it's size in Canada, , , , and the input in design configurations will truly be by some of the top builders in North America! . . . Like Stan Mark.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
smark
RCC Junior Contributor

Thanks Mike for the compliments.
Its my contribution to this RCC forum and to this great hobby.
I hope everyone who builds from Mike's plans has great success with the plane.

Stan
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in