Digital or regukar servo.... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
JVFan
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Yves Sabourin

Total Props: 0
Digital or regukar servo....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello,
I'M thinking to buy a new radio system, the JR 6102PCM, it come with for digital servo, but I have one plane with regular servo, so I want to know if I gone be able to fly my plane with the regular servo and the FM receiver instead od the PCM, my old radio is an JR XF 421 EX,

By the way, wath is the difference betwen digital and regula servo?

Thank you
MAAC 71660
JVFan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
xv-townboy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Spektrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 16
if you want a nice set up look no further..futaba too
Old 12-19-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by xv-townboy
if you want a nice set up look no further..futaba too

https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?p=91464#91464
How come on you are trying to hijack his thread!

You didn't even offer any answers to the digital question.

Digital servos meen that you get to spend a LOT more money per servo!

Seriously though the resoloution of a digital servo is way better then an analogue one. The motor amplifier is differnt between the two alowing much more precise control, ie movement of the output arm, with the digital.

Besides forget FUtaba.. buy Airtronics!!!!!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
xv-townboy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Spektrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 16
ok..sorry about that . dont see how digital is really neccessary unless your into precision type flying..jmho..what kinda plane are thinking of putting them in??..futaba Rocks :P
Old 12-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #5
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Hi Yves,

to answer your actual question , the servo type does not make a difference with PCM or PPM. Your old radio can run digital servos and your new radio can run the old servos. It's only the receiver that makes a difference with PCM/PPM in your plane.

For the receiver question, just check the radio manual to make sure it broadcasts in both PCM and PPM, hopefully at the same time, but that shouldn't be an issue with your new system you are looking at getting.

There are several treads on RC Canada discussing the differences between Digital and regular servos, might be worth a quick search for you.

e.g. https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3644

Hope this helps,

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Jim wrote: "Now come on you are trying to hijack his thread!"

If thats a question, you forgot the ? and isn't that: "How come?" LOL! What happened Jimbo, you just get in from Christmas shopping cause the wife made you go? Getting kinda cantankerous in you old age, ain't ya? Just funin with ya my friend!

Although not absolutely necessary in all applications, digital servos are indeed much better than standard servos for more precise aerobatics! Also 100% the holding power of digital servos kick in the moment the servo arm starts to move where as with standard servos the holding power increases as the throw movement increases and only reaches 100% at the full end movement of the servo arm!

In the manuals with each Dave Patrick Models planes, he states that there is no such thing as too much servo ( depending on weight and and size of course ) and that one should always purchase the best servo that you can afford. You have to balance cost with needs though as digitals are usually more $$ than standard servos. Ie: I, personally, wouldn't put $500 worth of digitals in a $100 trainer airplane or 1/4 scale servos into a 12 oz foamie! You get the idea here!

Gotta add my 2 cents worth here...Futaba may Rock, Airtronics is great and JR is Fabulous.. but MULTIPLEX-evo Rules!!!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:18 PM   #7
pherchris

JR 6102

Just a bit off of your question here but...

The 6102 is a great radio! I purchased mine a month ago and love it! Lots of great features not found in other 6 channel radios out there . I myself got the PPM with analog servos version because it's all i need, but I've heard nothing but praise over digital!

ChrisR.

P.S. - JR for life
pherchris is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:59 AM   #8

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maker
Also 100% the holding power of digital servos kick in the moment the servo arm starts to move where as with standard servos the holding power increases as the throw movement increases and only reaches 100% at the full end movement of the servo arm!
It actually takes about 2-3 degrees of travel for digi's to come up to full torque, and about 10-12 for conventional coreless servos to do the same. Once you get out to 15+ degrees rotation the major difference is the holding power.

The huge advantage of digitals comes when you need both large and small deflections....such as one setting for precision and one for 3D. For 3D you use lots of servo throw so either servo would be putting out big torque, but for the low rates say your servo is only moving 8 degrees rotation then the digital will kill any conventional servo for precision as they will have the torque to properly deflect and hold the control surface.

The difference in intial startup torque is the reason most people feel the need to increase the expo when they first go digital. As the digital servo will deflect the surface further at low deflections than a conventional servo will.

As I always say, unless you have a nice tight linkage setup you wont see any benefit of getting better servos, the difference in precision between "analog" and "digital" is quite small compared to the slop in many linkages.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:18 AM   #9
JVFan
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Yves Sabourin

It's not the price.... Because...

Yes, the price with the kit he offer to me is about $40.00 betwen the digital and analog, but the point is more, can I fly my plane setup in analog (Rx and servo's) with a 6102 PCM, the other thing is with the PCM we've get a failsafe system, is it good or not.

Thank
Bye
MAAC 71660
JVFan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:25 AM   #10

Total Props: 57
Re: It's not the price.... Because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVFan
Yes, the price with the kit he offer to me is about $40.00 betwen the digital and analog, but the point is more, can I fly my plane setup in analog (Rx and servo's) with a 6102 PCM, the other thing is with the PCM we've get a failsafe system, is it good or not.

Thank
Bye
For $40 take the digitals! Today the price difference between a conventional and digital servo is almost nothing, so regardless of how much benefit one is over the other you may as well go with the "slightly" better servo.

PCM is worth the money as well, not only from a failsafe point but also an increase in signal rejection.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in