Turbine Fuel (JETA1) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Bluesmurfpilot
RCC Noob

I am: Charles M
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Total Props: 0
Turbine Fuel (JETA1)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Good day folks,

Just inquiring if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction on where I might be able to purchase JETA1 fuel around the Edmonton area.

Alternatively kerosene & diesel would work, but I would like to stick with the JETA1 fuel if I can find a place to pick some up.

thx,
Bluesmurfpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136
Re: Turbine Fuel (JETA1)

Jet A and A1 are basically kerosene fuels. what are you using it for ? The main difference is that JetA1 is good to minus 47 and Jet A to minus 40.

Jet A and A1 are kerosene with some additives added for cleaner burning in full size multi stage turbines , but no problem with clean kerosene in micro single stage turbines.

Last edited by stegl; 10-18-2016 at 10:06 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Flying helis in the bush we had Jet A and B. A was straight and B had 1/3 Avgas to allow for starts in extremely cold weather. You could also have Prist added at distribution to prevent ice particles if any water present. Perhaps the designations have changed over time.

First recommendation would be to see if the local airport has an AMO. If so they may have some stored from sump and filter drainage that cannot be reused for aviation. If not they may be better able to point you to a source.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Years ago when we did a lot of flying we had access to Jet A for free but finally quit using it due to the horrid smell of the stuff in vehicles etc. and went back to bulk kerosene or like many now, diesel.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

We also had access to far more than we could ever use. The two IL-76's based at my location each had to do sump and filter drains every two weeks so we ended up with several hundred gallons each time.

After double filtering each way we used it in every diesel we had: mowers, forklift, snow plow, etc. Just had to add a percentage of oil to maintain the injector pumps as straight jet had none.

Even offered it to my R/C turbine friends. Wish we still had that now.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Another consideration if you are getting into turbines , get yourself a Mr Funnel filter to filter
Your fuel as often as you can to get any moisture out. I had a 10 litre jug of kerosene that had a very small ball of water rolling around in the bottom. Got mine at Walmart . Works great on all petroleum based fuels for removing moisture and dirt. Can never be too clean.
I wouldn't loose any sleep over using Jet A vs. Jet A1 vs kerosene. Diesel on the other hand has a higher percentage of sulphur and may not be the best for some micro turbines. Does smoke a lot more on shutdown.

Last edited by stegl; 10-18-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

I personally don't use diesel but most, if not all (not sure bout my Wren) on market today are diesel approved with no problems experienced during service intervals.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

I believe I read somewhere that there may be a slight degradation in power produced in using diesel vs kerosene or JetA fuel but the end result is the built in design of the spray nozzles. Maybe someone can chime in with more experience using diesel vs kero ?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
Bluesmurfpilot
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Jet A and A1 are basically kerosene fuels. what are you using it for ? The main difference is that JetA1 is good to minus 47 and Jet A to minus 40.

Jet A and A1 are kerosene with some additives added for cleaner burning in full size multi stage turbines , but no problem with clean kerosene in micro single stage turbines.
First off, thx to all that have replied, much appreciate all the feedback.

Basically I just put up JetA-1 specifically as you can't get much better then that, and with the price tag on the cute lil'turbines that fit in your pocket, I would like nothing more then the best, of course I can say that because I don't need 98-143 gal as the real deal does.

I have three JetCat trubines; 1x SPH5 & 2x P20SX
Old 10-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
Bluesmurfpilot
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
Flying helis in the bush we had Jet A and B. A was straight and B had 1/3 Avgas to allow for starts in extremely cold weather. You could also have Prist added at distribution to prevent ice particles if any water present. Perhaps the designations have changed over time.

First recommendation would be to see if the local airport has an AMO. If so they may have some stored from sump and filter drainage that cannot be reused for aviation. If not they may be better able to point you to a source.
My first attempt at sourcing some was direct to the airport fuel depots, but turns out by regulation they can't sell it to me directly.... wonder if I just squat out on there front door with a bucket in lap if they would just pour some in for me. didn't think about hitting up the AMO's, thx for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in