RC Airplane Magazine - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Rossco
RCC Noob

I am: Ross H
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Question RC Airplane Magazine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just getting into the hobby.
What is the best magazine available?

Rossco
Rossco is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6
Re: RC Airplane Magazine

That depends Rossco on the individual.I have a subscription to both model airplane news and fly/rc.Both magazines are very good.There is also the sport flyer as well.But there are many more out there depending whether you are a jet jock,park flyer etc.The first 2 i have mentioned are my 1st choice picks.Happy searching.
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
bhughes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsone View Post
That depends Rossco on the individual.I have a subscription to both model airplane news and fly/rc.Both magazines are very good.There is also the sport flyer as well.But there are many more out there depending whether you are a jet jock,park flyer etc.The first 2 i have mentioned are my 1st choice picks.Happy searching.
i have subscriptions to both of these magazines and they are great lots of new prodruct reviews and buyers guides

Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7

Personally, I enjoy the Brit magazines; not as much advertising as Fly R/C or MAN, and AMI has free full-size plans in about half the issues. If you want a good overview of the hobby with US advertising, have a look at Flying Models; I wish I could get it here. I occasionally build from my collection of FM, going back to 1953!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

I'll go with that too Terry, I find 'Flying Models' covers the whole spectrum of modelling without dwelling on ARFs or Giant so is the perfect general interest mag. I used to get some of the British magazines and enjoy them but they have got so darn expensive these days - I would get 'Fly RC Magazine' too but can't afford many - my F-M costs me $50 CDN a year. Used to subscribe to 'R/C Modeler' for many years but it too got into Giant Gas mainly and then 'Model Airplane News' went pretty much the same - dropped it too.
Does a magazine lose something when a women takes over as Editor? Grin? CvL
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7

Yeah, the Brit magazines went high for awhile, but now we are only paying ~$9 for them, much easier.

Actually, my favourite magazine out of the UK is The Aeroplane. 3-views, colour schemes for scale aircraft, and a ton of information in every issue, great inspiration for building. My collection of those goes back to the 50s as well...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
canadianf1pilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 40+

I often buy MAN (Model Airplane News) now that there is a Canadian Content section, but I am a bit sick of their reviews. Has anyone ever seen a review of a plane in MAN where it was NOT the best plane they have ever reviewed?

All of there reviews are no more than 4 page ad's trying to sell the plane. I know they want the kit companys to keep sending them free planes, but if the thing is a piece of crap they need to say so! Reviews need to have some objectivity, not just what a great plane and you need to go get one NOW!
I have seen some planes that got fantastic reviews, and after seeing the model first hand, and flying them, they were a piece of crap.
They are not all like that but there are enough to make me think twice befor buying a plane just on the info in the review in MAN

sorry for ranting in your thread LOL

Bill
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

I will second that rant Bill! Most magazines on this side of the pond are "ARF ARF ARF ARF..."! You can get that walking up most back alley's - not my style of modeling!

I too like the British magazines - when I can get them.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
canadianf1pilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 40+

I was in a couple hobby shops last weekend, looking for some balsa and maybe a kit...good luck! ARF ARF ARF....

Brit mag's are hard to come by here, you are lucky to get a copy of Model Airplane News, there is only one store in Dryden I know of that sells it.

There is always the MAAC mag.....

Bill
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in