Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
Jon.
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jon A
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 9
Discovery 40 Trainer ARF

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a friend that is selling a Discovery 40 Trainer ARF (Only been flown once) for 350$. Its ready to fly including fuel, starter, fuel pump, spare parts, toolbox, egnighter, glow plugs, glow plug wrench and a lot of other things. It sounds like a good deal to me but I would like to know a bit about the plane. Has any body had any experience with this plane? if so can you tell me how it preforms, what the quality is like and any thing els you think i should know?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Hi Jon

Don't know about the plane but the engine, radio, receiver and servos are also important things to look at when estimating the value of the package being offered.

The radio must be a narrow band FM .

A ball bearing engine is worth more than plain bearing.

Cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=1282 Seems like the guy's at RC universe don't have any real issues.

Myself, I'd buy it if I was just starting out. The field gear alone is worth at least 100-200 new.

What kind of radio does it come with? What is the brand of engine? If it's a crappy engine, you may need to shell out another 100 for a new one.

If this is your first plane, the #1 thing to have is a good runner. If the engine won't run, you'll be cursing the whole time. Most guy's can get any trainer in the air and fly it around to learn. If you need to spend hours trying to get the engine tuned, you're not learning to fly, your learning to tune an engine.

As far as I can tell, the Discovery is built by Vmar, which is a hit or miss manufacturer. Some love em, some hate em.

I'm sure someone else will have real world experience with this trainer.

Good Luck

Old 04-30-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Jon.
RCC Senior Contributor

The engine is a low end OS 40LA flown once. The transmitter is a futaba skysport4 and all I can tell you about the gear inside the plane is that its from futaba. im not sure if it's Hi or Low brand servos. I am just starting out in the gas powered airplanes and I know that im not buying top of the line but i would just like to know if this stuff will last a good while. Thanks

Jon.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
Nobody can tell you how long it will last. You are dealing with name items that people have used. You recognize it's lower end but what do you need to train with? If an instructor were available for that gear, with buddy box capability I wouldn't hesitate to start with that. You can't go wrong at the price. Your choice $600+ or $350. Talk him down a bit....$300.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

I'd say it's a good deal then. The LA engines are good for learning, short on power, good reliability. It will fly the trainer well. That radio is good enough to start with too. I used a simple 4 channel for 4 years of flying. All the gear I started with was in at least 2 different trainers, then was transferred to an aerobatic model after 7 years of sitting around.

I suggest you join a club as well. And if the fuel is very old (over a year or so), be prepared to throw it away,

Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:50 PM   #7

Total Props: 57
MAAC and club memberships

Well, it's your lucky day!

Just checked the MAAC website and chased down the clubs in the Ottawa Valley zone.

http://www.maac.ca/clubs/clubs_info.php?clb=154

You have a club in Brockville! http://www.bmaclub.com/
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
Jon.
RCC Senior Contributor

Im glad you let me know. Thankyou!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #9

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.
The only time there’s to much fuel onboard is when your plane ketches fire.
Jon, never wish that on yourself -- Don Kinch had that happen with a Byron P-51 Mustang at a Mississauga MFC display back around 1984. Using the Pow'r attachment for swinging a scale four-bladed prop, a band came off and apparently whipped around and took out the fuel line. Fire then went through the firewall, and the first sign of real trouble was the gear coming down unannounced. Plane proceeded in a tight turn around behind the trees at the end of the field, trailing a gentle smoke stream.

However, glad to be of help!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in