Inventive Workshop Tools - Hints and Tips! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Inventive Workshop Tools - Hints and Tips!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've often thought that a thread on inventive ideas on tools would be fun to share as well as informative and helpful to others! Most moddler mags have a section for Hints and Tips but all too often you come up with a great idea but feel, "Ahhh, someone must have already done this, this is just so simple!" so you don't send it in! Well here's your chance to share that idea!

Most of us in this hobby have an assortment of tools that we use all the time, but once in awhile you come across a problem that needs a special tool to fix or correct! A tool you haven't been able to buy so you had to make it yourself. I know there are a lot of ingenious folks out here so I would like to hear some of the ideas you've come up with for that out of the ordinary application. Now, don't tell me you haven't had to do this! You've made a special tool and thought: "Hey, what a great idea!" I have a few, but heres a simple one I just came up with! ( Others have probably done this already, dozens of times! )

I needed to mount an antenna tube inside my already covered and finished 1/4 scale H9 Edge 540.

I like to mount the antenna inside the fuse as it is obviously hidden inside and out of the way. Easy to do when your building a kit, but this was an ARF that didn't already have one installed, as many ARF's do.

So I bought a 3 foot plastic tube from the LHS and wanted to fix it inside the fuse to run the antenna inside. Problem is, how do I hold it secure way in the back of the fuse? I took a drill bit, one size smaller than the tube diameter and mounted it in the end of a piece of 3' 1/4" dowel. I was able to reach each of the bulkheads and drill a hole by twisting the dowel. Then by twisting the tube through each hole I was able to mount the tube securely inside the fuse. I threaded the Rx antenna wire into the tube and the job was finished. Cost: basically nothing!

I know, too easy right? What are some of the tools you've come up with to solve a special problem?

For every person that makes a post, and it must be something that you have personally come up with and done yourself, I will put your name in a hat (only once regardless of the number of posts) and lets say, by January 31st. one name will be drawn from the hat, and I will personally donate a "Gift Certificate" worth $25 for Great Hobbies to that person!

Well, at least it's an idea to help pass some of the winter boredom. Lets just have some fun with it and be helpful to others at the same time!

Please feel free to post more than 1 idea if you have them. They are all good!

Thanks and Merry Christmas to one and all here on RCCanada

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Peter Gordon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: peter g

Total Props: 0
I tape a drill bit to the end of a nyron center. Becomes a flexible drill in a snap. Just don't apply too much pressure or the tape won't hold. Drill bit goes end-to-end.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

I'm too cheap to put out for the fancy SS manipulation tools sold by hobby shops.
I just take a piece of 1/4" x 6" dowel, drill a small hole in both ends, and insert music wire of various gauges which can then be bent to the shape I require. I use thick music wire if I need a strong puller, or thin if I need a handy prodder or CA applicator.
I've made a lot of these over the years, and they are handy. One has an alligator clip soldered on so I can grab and hold things.

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Sonic Boomer

If I need a little lube on a hard to reach location, I find a small diameter rod, screwdriver, awl or whatever (metal) - place one end on the desired location and with a small squeeze bottle, apply lube to the rod and let it run (downhill) to the desired location until adequately lubed, then remove.
Simple

Boomer

ps Merry Christmas!!
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
rc999
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brian P
Radio of choice:
spektrum

Needed to reach a deep spot with a 1/16ths drill bit,and as you know..the smaller the size,the shorter the bit right?What i did was connect a long piece of pianno wire to the bit with some heat shrink et voilla!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
homme de fer
RCC Contributor

I am: Marc A

Great idea Gary.

I posted a tip back in October November about template material:
https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=37963

Using paper for templates is a pain and I'm building some coroplast planes so I want the templates to last just in case one of these things fly's well. SeeTemp and quilters template material is quite expensive but discounted plastic folders (made out of the same plastic) is dirt cheap. The only issue you might have is the folders are coloured. However, they are still see through.

Marc
homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Thank you to everyone who has already posted a Tip and great Tips at that!

I know there is a lot of hidden talent out there so come on guys, please post your ideas and have a chance at the $25 Great Hobbies gift certificate and help your fellow moddlers at the same time!

Even if you've already posted, if you have more good Hints and Tips, please feel free to post away as many as you like!

Please keep them coming!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

One home made tool I have in the drawer along with an assortment of drill bits soldered on brass tubing is a piece of 1/16" music wire about 12" long with a small wheel collar on the end. I use it for replacing the T nuts in the firewall that are out of reach. Place the t nut on the wire, insert into the hole and give it a tug. If it won't stay because the firewall is sealed
(epoxy) then I put a small pair of vise grips on the opposite end and tap on the vise grips with a hammer. After place a washer on a bolt and tighten it up to seat the t nut. I use it when the threads are getting loose or they have been cross threaded.
John
Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
planecrazy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1
Hi guys,

I posted this in my Arado build a while ago.

I needed to cut a 1/8" slot in my plywood frames so i took my cutoff wheel from my dremel and stacked some washers and then another cutoff wheel under the screw. Now I have 2 cutoff wheels with a small stack of washers between them. The distance from the outside edge to outside edge is 1/8". Very handy for cutting slots in harder materials.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arado_float_build_tool_131.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	28784  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
I have a little Skil lithium-ion powered screwdriver and to make it more versatile I made it into a drill too. Took a worn out Dremel with the drill chuck. Cut the armature shaft off and filed the shaft to fit the hex drive that they all use now. Didn't take much filing as the outside dia. is the same as the outdide dia. of the hex drive. Great for drilling with micrometer drill bits as they aren't going a kazillion mph.
Great little drill. Looks like a miniature electric drill, trigger gun style. Home Depot sells them.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in