RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Pepperpete
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn M

Total Props: 2
Oh Lord Talk Me Out Of This...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well guys long story short but after an unpleasant divorse, I am back on my feet and ready to dive back in. Once jets are in your blood, it never leaves.

But I think I need some rationalization talked into me. I'm considering buying an FEJ F-16 (again) but in 1/6th scale. Those that know me know I had a horrible time with the 1/8th advance version of the FEJ F-16. The plane was too heavy (by a ton) and the gear never really worked properly.

I'm trying not to get sucked into the FEJ hype about the new honeycomb structure to make the plane very light weight (biggest problem before) and that the gear has been upgraded (heard that before) to work properly.

But I really dang well want an F-16. Yes I know it's viewed as the "everyone has one" jet but at least in Princeton I've only seen one other total. That and I just don't want to get onboard with a Flash as there will be like what...10 of the things flying this year? Of course at least the flashes are guaranteed to work correctly lol.

So what do you think? Am I being downright idiotic buying and taking another chance on FEJ or have they really come a long way like people on the boards are saying? Chime in!! Not like there is much else going on in here anyhow.
Member #4 of the 2 litre club! And proud of it.
Pepperpete is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: Oh Lord Talk Me Out Of This...

Anyone out there kitting the XL? I know it's a radical departure from that beautiful stock planform, but you would likely not be in competition with any others in the air and that greater wing area could not hurt.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13
British Columbia Re: Oh Lord Talk Me Out Of This...

Glenn sorry to hear about the personal side of things

As for buying another fly eagle product after your issues with the first one well I say dont do it ther is a global f16 on RCU ata good price.
I don't think you will be happy with another from that brand. Dean has the only flash locally ,Bart has one and so does Wayne. There are more tutors.5 of them . Sal has the big jet legend F16 and Kelly has a small one.
Sal does have a pst panther for sale I think.

I think you have heard this before
Just get yourself a good sport jet and fly it and enjoy, get the scale bird going as a second airframe you will be happier like the tail end of your last season flying

Welcome back to the fray.
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar

Last edited by kev-o; 12-19-2011 at 09:47 AM.
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post

So what do you think? Am I being downright idiotic buying and taking another chance on FEJ or have they really come a long way like people on the boards are saying? Chime in!! Not like there is much else going on in here anyhow.
In a word, Yes. Sorry, but do you really think it's going to be better? Did you see the thread on RCU about the FEJ J-10 with it's new honey comb construction? Yeah, they're using honeycomb material, but they're using it incorrectly. They are putting it in area's oriented where it's relying on crush strength where there is none. The problem with composite materials is, it's easy to say you can use them, but using them correctly is difficult. Good old fashioned wood can be used much more effectively when you really have no idea on structure like FEJ seem to.
FEJ is not the first to use honeycomb construction either, CAI was using it 12 years ago, my raptor is all honeycomb construction, used properly it is brutally strong but not that much lighter than standard smart structural construction. Honeycomb has been used in pattern airplanes for years although I don't think anyone is using it anymore.
FEJ are great at marketing and convincing people that they are doing better, and maybe they are, but I for one would not even consider a FEJ product at this point until I start seeing their airplanes with 1000's of flights on them.

BTW, the new "improved" gear that they have, well, people are sending them to down and locked for the electric conversion anyway because the air systems still aren't working correctly, specifically on the F16 main gear.

If you really want an F16, buy Dean's Aviation Design F16, it works, it's strong, and it probably flies better than any of the chinese ones.

You've gone down the Chinese manufacture road already Glenn, do you really want to go that way again? Jet Legend's stabs are falling off, FEJ, well, enough said, Skymaster has been having issues as well lately although of all the chinese manufactures they are probably the only somewhat safe one out there.

Jets are on their way back to being more expensive again, why? Well, only the rich can afford to buy cheap. When you are going to put $5000+ worth of equipment in an airframe, do you really want to risk it to airframes that have the history that the chinese stuff does? That means going back to the manufactures that have actually been around and been successful to 100's and 1000's of jet pilots for years. BVM, JMP, Aviation Design, Avonds, Yellow Aircraft, Airworld, etc. If you like building, the Aviation Design and Avonds F16's are awesome kits and not that expensive considering you get a strong jet that works. Unfortunately for many, buying jets you can trust, means buying kits again, but hey, that's really what the hobby used to be about, flying airplanes that you built.

For my money if an F16 was the order of the day, the only ones I would even consider anymore are the Aviation Design kit, or the Avonds kit. They are both time proven winners and both are probably still the best flying F16's on the market.

Jeremy
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
KAPTAN KAOS
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Gary Arthur
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 6

Buy a Comp Arf flash and have some fun.....
Maac#30370
JPO 2011 Member
KAPTAN KAOS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

So Glenn,

Do you have a new field in Kelowna that would be suitable to fly an F-16 off of?

If not, you will end up disapointed with the amount of flying time vs dollars invested. But then again, you can't just have 1 jet...

There is an Ultra Flash in thundebirds scheme.

PaulD

BTW - I don't care what FEJ or Skymaster or whoever promises, they won't be getting any of my hobby dollars....

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #7

Total Props: 57

There is nothing wrong with the right f16, they are great flying jets and don't need huge fields. An aviation design f16 with non scale gear will handle grass. Even the scale gear from matrix machine is incredibly strong. I can't think of a single reason to not buy a flash unless you really want scale in which case an f16 or f15 are both good choices. It just has to be the right one.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 14

I may be talked out of my AD F16 ( but relectantly ). I really need to make some space in my workshop...I'm now tripping over the d.mn things :^)

d.w.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
Angus
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Angus
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

FEJ, beauty is only skin deep, the rest of it is ugly to the bone

Buy a Flash

AM
Angus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13

Are you sure you are ready to get back in the saddle...you've been through some major life changing events ....
Hobbies such as ours are entirely discretionary and should not take priority over any efforts or focus that is needed to get your life back on track. The question would be..."is now the right time to get back into jets?" Of course this is a question only you can answer....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in