DX6i failure in the cold - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
rcwannabee
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick C
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 2
DX6i failure in the cold

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a DX6i DSMx that does not work in the cooler weather (+7 or cooler). With one plane the engine cuts out when any control input is used, on another plane the signal is inconsistent and control can be lost momentarily.

I took the DX4e that came with the Super Cub to test if it was the Tx or Rx:

DX6i failed
DX4e worked fine

I tested with the 6i and it failed within a minute of connecting the battery.
Bound the 4e and it worked fine.

I have since flown a few batteries and in colder temperatures with no issue using the DX4e. I use the DX6i for indoor flying and when tested in my house it is fine.

I contacted HH and this was the response:
__________________________________________________ _
Hello Richard,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department.

Cold weather can affect anything electronic. Although our equipment is not tested in cold weather conditions. I would test the equipment in above freezing conditions if it works fine then it may not be best to fly in below freezing weather.

Thank you,
David
We help YOU have fun with Hobbies!
Horizon Hobby Product Support
__________________________________________________ __

So not trying to beatup on HH or Spectrum, despite not being too impressed with the response, but I wanted to pass this on so others with the radio can be warned. I am aware of other reports of this issue with the DX6i on another forum and at the LHS. I strongly recommend a careful range check with the radio acclimatized before flying or maybe a heated radio cover.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116
Re: DX6i failure in the cold

A couple of us here have had them out in the cold with no issues, that's a strange one.

Bill
Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

rcwannabe,

I would try contacting Andy Kunz at Horizon. He's on the Spektrum Development Team and is also a regular on the RCG forums. He might be able to help you out. He can be reached via e-mail: akunz@horizonhobby.com

I would also give HH support a call directly instead of e-mailing. Sometimes you can make more progress talking to them over the phone. Seeing as you have a spare TX, NOW is the time to get this sorted out before the rush of the summer flying season.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
rusty33
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: dave a

Total Props: 0

I've flown in -20...was cold on the fingers, but my dx6i worked fine.
rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

wonder if it is a battery issue in the cold ? One of the things I have read is that Specktrum equipment is very voltage sensitive and in cold weather battery voltage will suffer. I don't use any DSM equipment except my indoor one foamie on DSM2 , but that is another problem/issues thing I won't get into.
With the equipment I use outdoors , the receiver voltages are good down to arround 2 to 2.3 volts but then that is not an issue as the servos stop working at 2.85-3 volts anyways.

Anyways just a thought .
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Batteries not liking the cold, also might want to make sure the Tx is set to North America rather than Europe, that will help with range. It could also be an issue with a bad connection on the board which could show up only in cold weather. We see that sort of thing in automotive applications pretty frequently.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

European and north american radios all have 100 mw output so range is the same. Not sure were this rumour came about and as far as I know the asian sold radios are the same also. The part about circuit boards in the cold could be a valid point though. If there are any fittings/plugs onto the circuit boards try pulling them of and then replug them in . Could be a poor contact somewhere as russ pointed out .
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

stegl - the setting is in the programming. Not sure why Spectrum would take the time to have a Euro & North America setting but they do and part of due diligence would be ensuring that all settings are correct. Irrespective of power output.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
rcwannabee
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick C
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 2

To respond to a few suggestions:

- Not a range issue as it happens while I stand beside the plane.

- Not likely a battery issue as it happens within minutes of being at the field, I literally take the radio out of the case, connect the flight battery and by the time I walk 30 feet to the runway the problem is there. But I will try again and make note of the voltage when I pack up at home, when I arrive at the field and when the problem occurs.

- I know it is not a generic issue with all DX6i Txs, nor specifical to DSMx or DSM2.

- I was speculating that it was related to a bad connection or solder joint and the cooler temperatures affected it. There have been solder related issues with ESCs apparently, but were related to heat.

- I was not finished pursuing the issue, but I was not too keen on giving up indoor flying either and I need the DX6i for that, actually I fly more in the winter than the summer.

Thanks for the email address and I was considering a phone call if the email did not produce anything useful.

Won't have much time over the next couple of weeks due to work, but maybe come March I will get a chance to test it out and pursue some resolution with HH.

Maybe they need to do some cold weather testing, there are more than a few of us that fly in the winter.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments!

Rick

Last edited by rcwannabee; 02-09-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added information
rcwannabee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
stegl - the setting is in the programming. Not sure why Spectrum would take the time to have a Euro & North America setting but they do and part of due diligence would be ensuring that all settings are correct. Irrespective of power output.
Another question ; do they specifically say what these Euro & N American settings are for ? I do know that we are furtunate being in N. America in that we have a wider range of 2.4 frequencies that our radios can scan through versis the available frequencies in Europe ; at least on the FASST and FHSS systems . Maybe is this what you are referring to as my understanding from what |I have read ,is the ranges are the same but the available frequencies are not as we have more.

Yes I have been doing some more reading on google and there does seem to be an adjustment in the JR/Specktrum radios as to A-EU328 setting and the B-US247 setting but do get many conflicting percentages and power settings; but yes N.America settings are higher than Europe .

Mine is set at 100mw as I guess the manufacfturer has the 2.4 receivers set up at a higher sensitivity. I do know the FHSS-3 receivers do have much more range (2.5 + miles) VS the FHSS-1 at about 2 miles. Again the range to all brands of radios are subject to line of sight and other obstructions and so on.

Anyways that made some very interesting reading..........learned something today...... thanks

Last edited by stegl; 02-09-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in