Tips for Warbird Success (flying) - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #11
Coyote
RCC Contributor

I am: Marc C
Radio of choice:
DX 9
# of RCs: 5+

Total Props: 0
Re: Tips for Warbird Success (flying)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Use the recommended control throws as suggested by the manufacturer

Once you get more proficient with your WB, you can set recommended throws as the middle rates, then input a low rate (i.e. 80%) and a high rate (i.e. 115%)
MAAC #35128
DX9
Coyote is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Great thought Marc, so what brought that idea into your head? lol I must say, amazing recovery on both flight attempts!
Seriously, Marc is right. Your warbird isn't a 3D plane. Go with the recommended throws and CG to start. Work from there.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #13
RICHARD PAINE
RCC Contributor

I am: Rick P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 60+

Total Props: 6

The previous posts have a lot of great information on warbird flying. I totally agree that warbirds should be flown as warbirds, slow barrel rolls & big graceful loops & high speed passes are my only maneuvers.
If I could add one item I have added to my list for successful flights is to have SOME wind, right down the runway. A dead calm may be great for some types of model flying but my rather heavy Sea Fury prefers a light, steady wind right down the runway. If not, the touchdown speed is too high & the retractable gear with doors sometimes catches the grass & can nose over. Works for me !

Old 11-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
RCflyer1
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9

Total Props: 1

It was mentioned above but one of the most common mistakes I've seen is the lack of rudder use with warbirds; especially on final approach. Warbirds are not known for their ground handling and were designed to be flown fast so as speed decreases, the less your ailerons become effective. Also, large aileron deflections change the shape of your wing, increasing/ decreasing lift and drag depending on their movement and increases your stall speed and can lead to tip stall on final. Learn to fly by your rudder, avoid the typical "bank and yank" -my two cents
RCflyer1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #15
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCflyer1 View Post
It was mentioned above but one of the most common mistakes I've seen is the lack of rudder use with warbirds; especially on final approach. Warbirds are not known for their ground handling and were designed to be flown fast so as speed decreases, the less your ailerons become effective. Also, large aileron deflections change the shape of your wing, increasing/ decreasing lift and drag depending on their movement and increases your stall speed and can lead to tip stall on final. Learn to fly by your rudder, avoid the typical "bank and yank" -my two cents
There is a catch with that approach (no pun intended): when you yaw an airplane, the wing on the outside speeds up... and the one inside the turn slows down. If you aren’t careful that wing can stall, causing the plane to snap into a spin.
CF105 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #16
Bigshow6522
RCC Apprentice

I am: Buck 22
Radio of choice:
optic/Hitec
# of RCs: 25

Luv the look of that bird in the air KK !
Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #17
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

I just came across this video of the “best R/C landings , 2018” and if you watch you will see that basically every WW2 warbird landed on its mains. No “three pointers”!

https://youtu.be/phe03AyB4_U
Old 10-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #18
WarbirdCarl
RCC Apprentice

That is soooo true Terry. I lost a 60cc h-9 Corsair that weighed 31 pounds( my first giant scale warbird weighing that much) from my own pilot error. Trying to land in a nasty crosswind, I aborted the first attempt, turned left into the wind instead of continuing down the runway, turned left again without enough airspeed or altitude, banked way too sharp...
and that bird fell out of the sky like a dead duck with a brick tied around it’s neck.
WarbirdCarl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:50 PM   #19
FWSPT
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Tactic 660, 650, Futaba multi series

Total Props: 5

I fully agree with getting the balance right. Most warbirds need to be nose heavy to fly right and not snap from the tail on you. It so tempting not to add weight on a newly finished model but having learned from experience get that nose pointing down, it makes the model that much more enjoyable and easy to fly.

Get to learn your model flight characteristics by getting altitude and slowly throttling back and see what it does. A properly balanced plane should not snap on you but gently settle in a predictable stall. If it fly's on the tail its tail heavy, land and rebalance.

Learn the behaviour of the plane with full flaps. A properly set warbird should slightly pitch up when full flaps are applied. Use the flaps on landing. Because warbirds are generally on the heavier side of the spectrum flaps will allow you to land with control. Keep your speed on landing, don't throttle to idle else you will set yourself up for a tip stall. Fly a shallower approach than with a conventional plane, set the decent path with the elevator and control the height with the throttle.
FWSPT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #20
FWSPT
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Tactic 660, 650, Futaba multi series

Total Props: 5

Tip for bounced landings, give a nudge of throttle on the bounce and it should set the airplane back on the right path. Keeping some throttle here on landing will greatly help in those situations and if you fly off a paved runway let that plane roll and loose speed (use the entire runway if needed) before attempting a turn, else expect wing scrapes and nose overs.

If you fly a Spitfire than expect those wingtips to eventually get scraped, this is part of a Spitfire's life given the narrow wheel base..
FWSPT is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in