Should MAAC Consider Legal Action? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #11
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 157
Re: Should MAAC Consider Legal Action?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The adversarial approach is how they work things out in the US. Up here, our national organizations work *with* the government bodies involved. So far it's worked to everyone's advantage I think.

Personally I don't see the situation as any different than what has been in place for years for model rocketry: if you want to fly small, light rockets, there are some simple safety rules (and those aren't even TC's). But if you want to fly anything over 1500g and/or bigger than a G motor, you need an SFOC, an approved range safety officer... and send a report in to TC after the event.

It's unfortunate that a few bad actors have spoiled it for the rest. But when it comes down to the right of an R/C pilot to fly his/her aircraft versus the right of others to have a safe flight... sorry, but the R/C folks have to lose. And waiting for a DJI Phantom or similar to be ingested into the engine of a 737 is not an option.
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #12
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

I might be in the minority here, but I really don't find the new regs overly restrictive.

At the end of the day I don't believe this is just about close encounters between drones and airliners. I really don't like the idea of some guy that has no RC experience buying a 5 pound drone from Best Buy and then flying it over my kids in the park, or my car on the highway. Maybe the incidents have been minimal but it would be a really bad day where somebody crashed their drone into my kid, my car etc.

As far as rights go, the law has a tricky balancing act to perform... in this case how do you balance the rights of the minority drone operator against the rights of the rest of the public??? Is it not a fundamental of democracy that the majority be protected?

As for MAAC protesting, TC has made it clear that MAAC has gained their respect. TC clearly looked after MAAC's interests when it drafted these regs. Why would you want to ruin that now??? Do you really think if MAAC pissed off the gov't they would have any chance of winning? What makes you think there are enough of us hobbyists that they gov't really cares what we want?

Am I the only one that thinks the regs demonstrate the good work MAAC has done lobbying??? I'm quite pleased with what I'm getting for dues these days...
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #13
Mustang1993
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mark B
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 6

I don't understand your analogy cosmith. R/C aircraft have been available for a very long time. Anyone could have gone in a bought an R/C planer or helicopter and flown it a park possibly injuring himself or others long before thise Drone panic began. I remember years ago while riding my bicycle in Malden park seeing someone flying his model helicopter for instance. These regulations go way beyond quad copters being sold at Best Buy. Park flyers have been around a very long time with very few incidents. How many cars or windows been broken by kids playing baseball ? How many cars been dented as well ? The 9 km restriction in the Windsor area for airports helipads completely blankets Windsor Lasalle Tecumseh and if we have to inclued US airports much of Amherstburg and most of Essex so that leaves Sunparlor flying club for all model aircraft pilots in the area. We all can't fly there it would be far too crowded on the few nice days where it is safe to fly at all.
Mustang1993 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #14
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

Flying a model airplane is not a right. The last time I checked the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms I did not come across "the right to fly a model airplane...". The government to this point has not seen a need to regulate us but now, due to the advent of this new technology and a few idiots, they are stepping in. A court will side with the government since they do have the right to regulate what happens in the national airspace.

Although I agree with the OP that the proposed regulations are over-reaching there is nothing that MAAC can do in a Court of Law.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
Hatch
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dylan L.

Total Props: 14

Murray,

There are a lot of great grass-roots initiatives out there. We're trying to pull them together, share ideas, and communicate on progress. Consider joining us here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1781878305462289/
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #16
ACITceva
RCC Apprentice

I am: Shawn V.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1993 View Post
The 9 km restriction in the Windsor area for airports helipads completely blankets Windsor Lasalle Tecumseh and if we have to inclued US airports much of Amherstburg and most of Essex so that leaves Sunparlor flying club for all model aircraft pilots in the area. We all can't fly there it would be far too crowded on the few nice days where it is safe to fly at all.
I think it's important to keep in mind that any aircraft under 250g also receives the exemption from the new rules (keeping in mind any local by-laws of course).

That actually gives you quite a variety of fixed wing, helicopters, quads that could be legally flown.
ACITceva is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #17
Mustang1993
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mark B
# of RCs: 1

Have you flown a 250 g aircraft in even a mildly windy day. Under 250 g options are pretty much only for indoor use. I have a Parrot Bebop (400 g ). Even the drones under 250 g are dangerous and can cause injury. Rotating blades no matter the weight of the drone can still give you a pretty good slice if your not careful. Model aircraft is and always has been dangerous.
Mustang1993 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #18
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

Quote:
I don't understand your analogy cosmith. R/C aircraft have been available for a very long time. Anyone could have gone in a bought an R/C planer or helicopter and flown it a park possibly injuring himself or others long before thise Drone panic began. I remember years ago while riding my bicycle in Malden park seeing someone flying his model helicopter for instance. These regulations go way beyond quad copters being sold at Best Buy. Park flyers have been around a very long time with very few incidents. How many cars or windows been broken by kids playing baseball ? How many cars been dented as well ? The 9 km restriction in the Windsor area for airports helipads completely blankets Windsor Lasalle Tecumseh and if we have to inclued US airports much of Amherstburg and most of Essex so that leaves Sunparlor flying club for all model aircraft pilots in the area. We all can't fly there it would be far too crowded on the few nice days where it is safe to fly at all.
I don't believe I made any analogy in my post. I haven't done any sort of scientific polling but I feel it's pretty obvious that there are exponentially more people flying 'machines' in public areas today than 20 or 30 years ago.

The other factor is that the cameras and fpv that we have now make it appealing to fly over crowded events, highways etc.

I don't think it's very fair to compare the fringe park flyers of 20 years ago with what is happening today. Even then, I wouldn't have wanted them to fly over people.

All I'm saying is I don't want people flying over my kids at the park, beach, parades, events, etc. Just like we don't fly over the pit/spectator areas at fields. Since common sense isn't all that common anymore we can't rely on humans to make good choices. I'm as disappointed as everyone else that I can't fly some of my foamies around my house, but I understand where TC is coming from.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Slats!
RCC Contributor

I am: Slats

I fly at MAAC sites and my understanding is that if you are at a MAAC field non of this applies. Is this true or not?
Slats! is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #20
ACITceva
RCC Apprentice

I am: Shawn V.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Have you flown a 250 g aircraft in even a mildly windy day. Under 250 g options are pretty much only for indoor use.
Yep - I learned to fly (outside) on helicopters of this size. They'll fly outdoors very easily even in some mild wind.
ACITceva is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in