Quick Question about the 2010 Advanced Sequence - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
tommy321
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Tom Hastie
Radio of choice:
Anything 72MHz
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Quick Question about the 2010 Advanced Sequence

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a quick question about the 2010 Advanced Sequence that I want to clarify before the first contest.

So say I'm doing the "B" sequence found on page 2 of the PDF here:
http://www.mini-iac.com/Portals/0/Do...0_Advanced.pdf

When I exit the spin maneuver 3, I have a choice, depending on which way I chose to spin.

1. I could push to inverted flying away from myself. At this point, maneuver 4 is a inwards rolling 3/4 circle with 3 rolls. Lets say that I choose to roll right and circle right. This is opposite what is indicated on the Aresti, however, the rules really only describe circles as either "rolls to the inside" or "rolls to the outside". In the scenario above, I'm doing a "roll to the inside" as prescribed by the Aresti, but I'm also going to be forced to do the rest of the sequence backwards (left hand maneuvers to the right and vice versa). Did I get a zero?

2. I could push inverted flying towards myself. In this case I could do a roll right and circle right. This would seem to match the Aresti, and the rest of the sequence could be flown exactly as drawn. I don't think this is a zero UNLESS the pilot busts through the flight line.

My main question is whether or not Number 1 is a zero. Intuition tells me that the pilot who does (1) above has zeroed everything following until he calls "Break" and resets. However, I'm not sure of what rule he has broken.

Anyways, I figured it might be useful to get a vote on this ahead of time.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom
tommy321 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

I am: Dave R

Total Props: 2
Re: Quick Question about the 2010 Advanced Sequence

Tom, if you were to fly the roller as described in your #1 scenario you would get a zero. You HAVEN'T flown the maneuver as written. While the direction of the circle isn't directly indicated it is however drawn so that you exit the maneuver up-wind. So, taking wind direction into account it DOES indicate which direction to do the circle. Subsequently, if you were to then continue the sequence you would zero everything after because you aren't flying the maneuvers as written with respect to wind direction.

That's my take on it, anyway. Not sure if that's the correct interpretation or not. Hopefully someone will chime in here.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K

Total Props: 0

Dave is correct.

Quote:
Intuition tells me that the pilot who does (1) above has zeroed everything following until he calls "Break" and resets.
That's fine but to be clear a pilot does not have to call a break. The judges must sort it out and continue scoring if the pilot gets back around to flying the sequence correctly without announcing anything. It's similar to omitting a figure. They may not realize the error. Judges must keep up and deduct but keep going accordingly.

All that said, if a pilot knows what's going on it is a good courtesy to announce the break and the intent to resume the sequence.
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
NC Region Judging Instructor
They say trees are 90% air. Personally I think they are 100% tree.

Last edited by Rick Kroeze; 04-06-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Rick Kroeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

That doesn't happen too often, thanks Rick!

So, Tom........ yes, you ARE going to have to learn to roll right
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
tommy321
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Tom Hastie
Radio of choice:
Anything 72MHz
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ORCC View Post
So, Tom........ yes, you ARE going to have to learn to roll right
Nuh uh. I still have option 2 open to me.

Tom
tommy321 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy321 View Post
Nuh uh. I still have option 2 open to me.

Tom
Fair enough. That said, when you initiate your roller, inbound towards yourself, be prepared to fly the rest of the sequence from memory. Your caller and I will be hiding under my van
Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ORCC View Post
Fair enough. That said, when you initiate your roller, inbound towards yourself, be prepared to fly the rest of the sequence from memory. Your caller and I will be hiding under my van
Now that's funny.
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
NC Region Judging Instructor
They say trees are 90% air. Personally I think they are 100% tree.
Rick Kroeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

I would be under the same van
I've had on occasion been judging where the pilot rolls wrong direction and flies the rest of the sequence in the opposite direction. Of course they got all zeros from that point on, but after discussions, it seems to me that a good judge at a regular competition would let the pilot be aware after a few maneovers that they are flying the wrong way.
This usually happens to people in the lower classes who are flying early in the season, so why not help a struggling pilot out?

Lee
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEE View Post
I would be under the same van
I've had on occasion been judging where the pilot rolls wrong direction and flies the rest of the sequence in the opposite direction. Of course they got all zeros from that point on, but after discussions, it seems to me that a good judge at a regular competition would let the pilot be aware after a few maneovers that they are flying the wrong way.
This usually happens to people in the lower classes who are flying early in the season, so why not help a struggling pilot out?

Lee
Lee,

I would disagree. You are a JUDGE NOT the Caller or a Coach. If the pilot enters or exits the manouver wrong and does not make the cotrrection and continues to fly the rest of the sequences wrong it is his/her responsibility. It is unfair to the rest of the contestents for the Judges to coach a pilot during a flight other then to inform him or her of deadline infractions. Tough I know but only fair. (See why the BC guys didn't like my judging! ) FLAME suit "ON"!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

Jim you are right but evil A judge should be indescriminate, impartial and fair in his assessment of a competitor's flying.
For begining (Basic) pilots out there, it is imperative that one practices their routine in both directions and that they have the proper manoevers figured out before a contest. The best way to see it done properly is on our very own Scale Aerobatics site at ;
www.scaleaerobatics.ca
or on the Flying Giants web site www.flyinggiants.com

Now if I happen to be judging some Basic pilot someday soon who does the wrong way thing I may drop a loud cough that sounds strangely like "wrongcoughdirectionhack"

Lee
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in