newbie needs help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
alex marks
RCC Apprentice

I am: alex m
Radio of choice:
airtronics
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
newbie needs help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hey guys...
just wondering if a airtronics tx/ vg 400 /600 is compatable with any other rx of a diffrent brand. ?
on the same chanel .

thanks for any advice alex :
alex marks is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Madman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 1
Re: newbie needs help

Yes. Airtronics 72 mHz receivers (Rxs) are +'ve shift and compatabile with JR. Also any shift selectable Rx or +'ve shift Rx such as GWS or HiTec. The GWS and HiTec will say JR compatable. Older HiTec Rxs may say Airtronics compabable but usually that means compatable with the older (non Z) style Airtronics connector (black not blue plugs). Hope this helps. Note many fliers on 72 mHz prefer Airtronics Rxs as more bullet proof and can be picked up relatively cheaply in todays 2.4 GHz rules all world.

Stephen
Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
alex marks
RCC Apprentice

I am: alex m
Radio of choice:
airtronics
# of RCs: 3

Thumbs up Re: newbie needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Yes. Airtronics 72 mHz receivers (Rxs) are +'ve shift and compatabile with JR. Also any shift selectable Rx or +'ve shift Rx such as GWS or HiTec. The GWS and HiTec will say JR compatable. Older HiTec Rxs may say Airtronics compabable but usually that means compatable with the older (non Z) style Airtronics connector (black not blue plugs). Hope this helps. Note many fliers on 72 mHz prefer Airtronics Rxs as more bullet proof and can be picked up relatively cheaply in todays 2.4 GHz rules all world.

Stephen
thanks ,this helps alot
alex
alex marks is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Berg is another make of auto shift adjust receiver and is one of the best.

NOTE: The major difference with Airtronics was their pin orientation for the servo and battery connections on the receiver. That means simply plugging in an airtronics servo or switch to one of these newer, "Standardized" radios will not work.

That is not insurmountable, as reversing two of the three pins in the plugs is all that is required to make them compatible. Lay the plastic connector flat on the table with the lock tabs facing you, (shiny terminals visible in the middle of the connector) and the wires leading off to the left. If you gently lift the lock tabs, (or press down the tab you see in the middle of the connector for that type) you can pull out the wire/terminal from the connector body. If I remember correctly, you need to reverse the middle and bottom wires. If it was the type I listed in brackets don't forget to lift the metal tab on the terminal slightly to allow it to lock back into the connector

On a final note: Regardless of frequency, I would warn you to use the original manufacturers crystals for best performance. If you go with a Berg or Hitec receiver, get the frequency crystal you need for that make.

Last edited by Cougar429; 10-14-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
Berg is another make of auto shift adjust receiver and is one of the best.

NOTE: The major difference with Airtronics was their pin orientation for the servo and battery connections on the receiver. That means simply plugging in an airtronics servo or switch to one of these newer, "Standardized" radios will not work.

That is not insurmountable, as reversing two of the three pins in the plugs is all that is required to make them compatible. Lay the plastic connector flat on the table with the lock tabs facing you, (shiny terminals visible in the middle of the connector) and the wires leading off to the left. If you gently lift the lock tabs, (or press down the tab you see in the middle of the connector for that type) you can pull out the wire/terminal from the connector body. If I remember correctly, you need to reverse the middle and bottom wires. If it was the type I listed in brackets don't forget to lift the metal tab on the terminal slightly to allow it to lock back into the connector

On a final note: Regardless of frequency, I would warn you to use the original manufacturers crystals for best performance. If you go with a Berg or Hitec receiver, get the frequency crystal you need for that make.
Yup , you may be able to change the pins arround but how can a ATX ( older Airtronics plug) fit into the space that the new Z fitting has ? The ATX plug is 7.77mm wide by 3.39mm thick and the smaller Z plug is 7.56mm wide by 2.45 mm thick . The ATX pls and the Z style plugs are not interchangable, sorry to say.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex marks View Post
hey guys...
just wondering if a airtronics tx/ vg 400 /600 is compatable with any other rx of a diffrent brand. ?
on the same chanel .

thanks for any advice alex :
If you want to use other than Airtronics receivers ; best bet are the Berg receivers . The 7 channel is the best out there without breaking the bank. If Interested please pm me as I do have one left as I have gone to the Airtronics SD-10 2.4 system and have sold off all my 72 mhz Airtronics.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Yup , you may be able to change the pins arround but how can a ATX ( older Airtronics plug) fit into the space that the new Z fitting has ? The ATX plug is 7.77mm wide by 3.39mm thick and the smaller Z plug is 7.56mm wide by 2.45 mm thick . The ATX pls and the Z style plugs are not interchangable, sorry to say.
Not bragging but I have done it before. If you are good with a file it can be done.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
Not bragging but I have done it before. If you are good with a file it can be done.
Not even going to go there !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in