AR8000 Rx Issue (Maybe?) - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Good Grief

Total Props: 0
Re: AR8000 Rx Issue (Maybe?)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yup Roy that's the next plan. Will pick up a new Rx and a flight logger (which sadly makes you fly a plane with a questionable issue) in Edmonton tomorrow.

This would be the second practically new Rx that has taken a dump on me. The last one (AR7xxx) took off all by itself (started the plane and was just going to pick up the Tx) and crashed into a snow bank.

One more questionable Tx/Rx issue and I'm switchin' to Futaba. Sure would be nice if someone would pipe up with some sort of protocol for trouble shootin' this electronic stuff!
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grief View Post
Yup Roy that's the next plan. Will pick up a new Rx and a flight logger (which sadly makes you fly a plane with a questionable issue) in Edmonton tomorrow.

This would be the second practically new Rx that has taken a dump on me. The last one (AR7xxx) took off all by itself (started the plane and was just going to pick up the Tx) and crashed into a snow bank.

One more questionable Tx/Rx issue and I'm switchin' to Futaba. Sure would be nice if someone would pipe up with some sort of protocol for trouble shootin' this electronic stuff!
If the plane is a good or a favorite or otherwise one you are fond of, take the rx or servo out of it and put it in a beater (if you have one? Everybody has one don't they?) Do this with the rx then the servo and you may be able to isolate the culprit.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Good Grief

Just got home from Edmonton with a new AR8000 and a flight logger. Tried the flight logger out last night on my kids plane.

Stopped by the Camrose fun fly and one of the members on here was there. Seems he has done some research on this particular Rx, and his advice was NOT to use a AR8000 in anything. Me being me, wants to see what he based his opinion on. Not that I don't believe him or anything...... just like to make up my mind if the risk is worth the reward.

Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to mess with the original Tx in the plane and see whats what. I do have a plane that could be classed as "Experimental".

Old 06-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #14
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

What has he found out about the the AR8000?
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Good Grief

Seems that now the story has changed, now he tells me that the receiver he had was a brand new 9 channel that came with a DX18. Cooked it witin 5 minutes of plugging it in.

Without knowing how he powers his stuff.... I do know that all my receivers (especially in my gas planes) are powered with 2 cell LiFe packs (unregulated). The majority of what I've found (in the first 3 pages of a google search) is that a lot of people have issues binding their receivers to their transmitter. This isn't my case.

With the boss home and my new toy, checkin' the old Rx on the ground will be the first order of business.

Last edited by Good Grief; 07-03-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

OK Thanks for the update. I have the 9 that came with the DX18 and no problems with 2000mah NiMh pack.

I was curious since I also have an 8000 that is allocated for my modified Telemaster.

It's gonna get a huge motor and big rudder/elevator.

I never find any issues with the binding either now that I step about 4-6 feet away.
Weather Station
Old 06-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
Good Grief

I have a AR8000 in my 30% S-Bach (DLE55) it's worked flawlessly. AR9000 in a 33% Yak. The satellite I'm using in the GSS was from another Rx.

I guess (looking back at all my Spektrum receivers) I have only ever had 2 major issues, resulting in 1 catastrophic failure. AR7010 in an Escapade. Guess that's not a bad track record for (North of) 750 hrs of flyin' time.

I've always bought the "Best" I can afford. IMO its all about "cycles to failure". Eventually everything hits expiry date.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
Good Grief

First test: Plane in garage, inverted with the wing(s) off. Walked ~100 yds to the East with my house blocking sight to attached garage.

Results (with SPM9540 Flight logger):

6V5
A255
b---
L46.1
----
F016
H000

So does this mean the Rx isn't recognizing the satellite?
Old 06-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grief View Post
First test: Plane in garage, inverted with the wing(s) off. Walked ~100 yds to the East with my house blocking sight to attached garage.

Results (with SPM9540 Flight logger):

6V5
A255
b---
L46.1
----
F016
H000

So does this mean the Rx isn't recognizing the satellite?
That looks right for an AR8000, one internal Rx and one external.
Weather Station
Old 06-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
cravenjw
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 38

Normally, if one sat has high fade count relative to the others, you should re-position or change its polarity (orientation).
Did you only walk only one direction? You should use range check but walk circle around the plane. each rx(main or sat) should have different polarity. You may have just walked the weak direction of that sat.

I also turn my tx, up down right left relative to model while range testing. If at the edge of the range, you can loose or reacquire link by playing with the tx orientation. I have done this many times, and I have also shielded (both and individually) the two antennas of the dx18 with a sheet of metal. You get some interesting results.

Doing it in a garage has its own issues. You may have blockage, metallic object or structure.

If you did full circle and tx wiggles, I would say, move the A rx, which I think is the main body of the 8000. This might be hard. Where do you have it?

Another thing that is worth doing, make sure antennas are straight. I shrink tube mine. I put one tube on just the wire and shrink it. Then I do second layer that goes over the first but also includes the small plastic tube at the body. With this they stay straight, almost springy.

I have been reading the manuals of a couple other brands of tx. One had a very interesting note and about range testing. It suggests that leaving the model on the ground was a bad way to range test. It suggested the the model be raised, held by another or placed on something like table. Further reading suggested that the ground can affect the signals.

Since then I usually range test with the model held by a buddy or on a picnic table. With a buddy, you can stay still and the buddy can rotate the model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in