transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities - Page 44 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 PM   #431
Canstarman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Lawrence B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 3
Re: transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Hey Chris ; even though you have been so patient over all these forums on dromes with most posters ; don't be so rough on them. Maybe it's the learning curve we went through over the many years past; that they have to deal with ; get organized with MAAC and make drome operation; a respectable branch of MAAC. If they can get organized within MAAC and prove that drones can be a safe sport.... work at bringing the bad operators into the fold. Nothing wrong with forming a drome only flying site as well and then maybe their issues can be worked on and better understood what they , themselves have to deal with.
Actually, under MAAC ,we are classified as FPVs. The drone supply business that the FPV chairman, Zoltan Pittner ( called New Generation Hobbies) is going to be affected greatly by all you anti drone MAAC members. No sweat off my back because I'm at the point of transitioning over to commercial drone flying. (I can finally start making money with something that I love doing)
However, I still want to do whatever it takes to support the drone flying hobby in this country.
Canstarman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #432
Mustang1993
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mark B
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 6

Hello everyone that is upset about the new regulations. I've been reading about this for several days now and find there are a lot of things not being totally understood about what just happened earlier this month.

Here are my comments so far in hoping to clarify them a little.

1) First thing is that Interim Rules are laws and must be followed or you risk being fined ! According to regulations, Marc Garneau has the power to introduce interim laws as he sees fit.

2) The height restriction is pretty straight forward and has only been reduced to 90 m

3) They have yet to clearly define buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people / crowds, etc. I imagine this will be clarified eventually to close the loop holes.

4) The 9 km distance rule is excessive but all items mentioned are clearly defined in CAR regulations.

5) The forest fire is interesting as how are we to even see a forest fire 9 km away from where we are standing. Not sure about the rest of you but I'm not sticking around if I see a Forest Fire heading my way.

6) Same idea with police and first responders. Simple just land when they show up.

7) At night or in clouds. Night is pretty straight forward but what does in clouds mean. Not even sure if clouds can form 90 m from the ground. Would Fog be included also.

Line of sight pretty straight forward, no change from previous rules or laws.

9) 500 m distance from drone is unusual as most basic transmitters don't reach that far. Yes I know some do but wouldn't LOS be enough. I have difficulty seeing my drone at 500 m not sure about everyone else.

10) Privacy issue ! I totally disagree with putting my name address and phone number on any aircraft I have. If they want to treat model aircraft like manned aircraft give us a Call Sign or registration number.

Some of the other things I've noticed have dealt with what these interim rules. Most likely they WILL apply to all unmanned types of aircraft ! Drone plane helicopter flying lawn mower and anything else that falls under the definition of a UAV.

Has anyone checked local bylaws ? Even if you find an area large enough some communities have banned them from flying completely.

Lastly I'm going to be talking with my MP and also with a local lawyer that is specializing in legislation about Drones.

I'm collecting information as well as comments to counter these over restrictive laws and plan on doing as much as I can so that I can fly in my own yard. You can't fly in your own yard under these interim laws is what finally pushed me too far !

I visited a local flying club last year and it was MAAC certified. If they expect all drone flyers around here to only fly at that club, I'd be lucky to fly for 10 minutes on the weekend as the MAAC clubs will be swamped with all the new memberships !

One thing everyone has to stop doing is swearing and acting unprofessionally as that will get us nowhere !

I've already signed on to a petition against this legislation but what about organizing a protest either at Transport Canada or Parliament in Ottawa ? Has anyone heard of such a thing yet ?
Mustang1993 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 AM   #433
Mustang1993
RCC Apprentice

Here's a link to the Transport Canada website that shows the actual interim order if you don't already know it or read them.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/in...-aircraft.html

Old 03-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #434
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

This link has been up dozens of times on on 5 or 6 forums on RCCanada. Not really new but well worn... lol
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:01 AM   #435
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canstarman View Post
Actually, under MAAC ,we are classified as FPVs. The drone supply business that the FPV chairman, Zoltan Pittner ( called New Generation Hobbies) is going to be affected greatly by all you anti drone MAAC members. No sweat off my back because I'm at the point of transitioning over to commercial drone flying. (I can finally start making money with something that I love doing)
However, I still want to do whatever it takes to support the drone flying hobby in this country.
Not a problem if you can meet al the demands for going commercial..... insurance , SFOC 's, not sure how the FPV works with commercial operation or if really allowed but then you need your HAM liscence plus a spotter , I believe.
Won't be easy and many more hoops to jump thru.
Good Luck on your venture
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:04 AM   #436
Canstarman
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1993 View Post
Hello everyone that is upset about the new regulations. I've been reading about this for several days now and find there are a lot of things not being totally understood about what just happened earlier this month.

Here are my comments so far in hoping to clarify them a little.

1) First thing is that Interim Rules are laws and must be followed or you risk being fined ! According to regulations, Marc Garneau has the power to introduce interim laws as he sees fit.

2) The height restriction is pretty straight forward and has only been reduced to 90 m

3) They have yet to clearly define buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people / crowds, etc. I imagine this will be clarified eventually to close the loop holes.

4) The 9 km distance rule is excessive but all items mentioned are clearly defined in CAR regulations.

5) The forest fire is interesting as how are we to even see a forest fire 9 km away from where we are standing. Not sure about the rest of you but I'm not sticking around if I see a Forest Fire heading my way.

6) Same idea with police and first responders. Simple just land when they show up.

7) At night or in clouds. Night is pretty straight forward but what does in clouds mean. Not even sure if clouds can form 90 m from the ground. Would Fog be included also.

Line of sight pretty straight forward, no change from previous rules or laws.

9) 500 m distance from drone is unusual as most basic transmitters don't reach that far. Yes I know some do but wouldn't LOS be enough. I have difficulty seeing my drone at 500 m not sure about everyone else.

10) Privacy issue ! I totally disagree with putting my name address and phone number on any aircraft I have. If they want to treat model aircraft like manned aircraft give us a Call Sign or registration number.

Some of the other things I've noticed have dealt with what these interim rules. Most likely they WILL apply to all unmanned types of aircraft ! Drone plane helicopter flying lawn mower and anything else that falls under the definition of a UAV.

Has anyone checked local bylaws ? Even if you find an area large enough some communities have banned them from flying completely.

Lastly I'm going to be talking with my MP and also with a local lawyer that is specializing in legislation about Drones.

I'm collecting information as well as comments to counter these over restrictive laws and plan on doing as much as I can so that I can fly in my own yard. You can't fly in your own yard under these interim laws is what finally pushed me too far !

I visited a local flying club last year and it was MAAC certified. If they expect all drone flyers around here to only fly at that club, I'd be lucky to fly for 10 minutes on the weekend as the MAAC clubs will be swamped with all the new memberships !

One thing everyone has to stop doing is swearing and acting unprofessionally as that will get us nowhere !

I've already signed on to a petition against this legislation but what about organizing a protest either at Transport Canada or Parliament in Ottawa ? Has anyone heard of such a thing yet ?
I've been waiting for the term "LOS" to given an actual value for a long time. That's because LOS really depends on the size of your aircraft. I find that 500 meters is a fairly good average. I think it's a great idea to talk to your local bylaw officers , If you get on their good side , you'll be good to go just so long as you use common sense and stay plenty clear of people and animals in the area. Drones , model planes , Fpvs , park flyers are 1 and the same.
It's as simple as that.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #437
Canstarman
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Not a problem if you can meet al the demands for going commercial..... insurance , SFOC 's, not sure how the FPV works with commercial operation or if really allowed but then you need your HAM liscence plus a spotter , I believe.
Won't be easy and many more hoops to jump thru.
Good Luck on your venture
I already have my HAM licence and my own insurance , etc . Just have to deal with the SFOC,
Old 03-23-2017, 01:13 AM   #438
Mustang1993
RCC Apprentice

I live in a fairly populated area with pretty much only the Sun Parlor Flying Club Field. With all the suggestions rules laws or whatever you want to call them, I would have to join MAAC first and could only fly at Sun Parlor in this area !
Old 03-23-2017, 01:28 AM   #439
Canstarman
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1993 View Post
I live in a fairly populated area with pretty much only the Sun Parlor Flying Club Field. With all the suggestions rules laws or whatever you want to call them, I would have to join MAAC first and could only fly at Sun Parlor in this area !
Hopefully , your MAAC field is drone friendly , if not, then how about near the mouth of the Canard river.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 AM   #440
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canstarman View Post
I already have my HAM licence and my own insurance , etc . Just have to deal with the SFOC,
Just thought of this... but the ham license (and frequencies) wouldn't be legal for commercial use would they?
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in