Understanding what the numbers mean on your lipo baterry. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 10-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
jnidd
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jeff N

Total Props: 4
Re: Understanding what the numbers mean on your lipo baterry.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks for posting all the good ideas guys. I now have some reading to do
jnidd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #12
Windfree
RCC Apprentice

I am: Barry F
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 3

That's what I do . I put a series / parallel bulb setup I used to use for checking NiCad motor packs across the output and leave them outside far from any flammables until dead and then in that state leave them for 12 hours or so still hooked up. I generally cut off the leads and take them to the recycle at the transfer centre with other stuff but occasionally just pitch them as they are not hazardous . If they contain any charge they can be bad news .
Windfree is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
airbourne
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeff F

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
Posts not relevant to this subject will be removed after a few days to keep the thread on topic.

Lipo Battery basics

Unlike conventional NiCad or NiMH battery cells that have a voltage of 1.2 volts per cell, LiPo battery cells are rated at 3.7 volts per cell. A fully charged cell is 4.21V and a dead cell is 3.0V which you never want to go below.

So if you got a battery such as a Flight Power that I have in my hand which has these numbers on it, this is what each of the numbers mean:

1200 mAh 3s 11.1V Li-Po
30C 36 Amp continuous 60C 72 Amp max bursts

First mAh= milliamp hours
: how many milliamps you can draw for one hour before the battery is completely dead. This particular battery has a rating of 1200mAh so you can draw 1200ma for 1 hour before the battery is dead. Or you can draw 600mA for 2 hours or 2400mA for 30 minutes etc.

3s= 3 cells hooked in series. Like I said earlier each cell has a rating of 3.7V/cell so this battery has a voltage of 11.1V (3X3.7=11.1) When this battery is fully charged it will be at 12.63V (4.21X3) and when it is fully discharged it would be at 9V(3X3v). Some batteries will have a 3S2P. The 2P part means that there are cells hooked up in parallel, therefore doubling the capacity. If it were a 3S3P the capacity would be tripled and so on. When you hook cells up in parallel you don't increase voltage you just increase the amperage of the battery just like boosting a car battery.

30C means the capacity draw of the battery. On this battery 1C=1.2Amps (1200mAH/1000=1.2C). So under normal flying this battery can safely deliver 30C or 36 Amps continuously. This battery will also able to provide you with 60C or 72Amps of power in short burst.

Hopefully this help some people out.

Thanks To Michel Gravelle for posting this link, full of info on all your lipo question
http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...arging-how-tos
I would be very hesitant doing any math calculation having to do with continuous (or max/burst) amp draw a lipo is capable of based on the label that's been glued on.

Those are well known to be primarily for marketing purposes and have very little to do with what the battery can actually deliver.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #14
TobyFlenderson
RCC Noob

I am: Chris M
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 0

Thanks
TobyFlenderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:22 PM   #15
jgillies2001@gmail.com
RCC Noob

I am: John
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6e
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the tutorial!
jgillies2001@gmail.com is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in