RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Rubinuk
RCC Noob

I am: Eric H

Total Props: 0
Newbie Crawler question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am new to the RC scene but have been around vehicles my entire life and I think I may have been bitten by the RC bug, more specifically Crawlers. I thought that I had my mind made up on what I wanted, A Timberwolf chassis done up to look like my Jeep. I just recently saw that Axial has released their Wraith and that has me thinking it would be a better option for me starting out and then build my Jeep clone later as I get more experience. Does anybody have any advice on either of these Crawlers that might help a newbie out.
Rubinuk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Chris.S.
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Chris S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 2
Re: Newbie Crawler question

I'm no crawling expert, just a guy who wishes he could afford one.

I would say go for the wraith if you want to start crawling and then build your scaler once you have a capable crawler...
Chris.S. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
customboy
RCC Noob

I am: Morley T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 30

I just got into crawling and I really like it, I bought a avial scx10 honcho and really liked the kit out of the box. Then started up gradeing it. Then I got a Gmade R1 and through a lot of money into it but I haven't had a chance to run it yet waiting for maxamp order. Just to let you know the Wraith is more of a rock racer than a rock crawler. Hope to see you rockin it soon.
customboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Rockies26
RCC Noob

I am: Richard A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX3R
# of RCs: 6

I have been crawling for sometime and my 2 cents I would go with the Axial Wraith for your starter truck over the Timberwolf. (in the long run it's cheaper too) and then build your Jeep or you could get the Axial Honcho RTR and change the body to a Jeep. Here's a pic of my Jeep with the Honcho frame. Happy Crawling hope i could help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0090.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	115138  
________________Toyota Mud Truggy_____________
Rockies26 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

I too just started dabbling with an Axial AX10 crawler and have been having quite some fun just in the back yard.

Are you interested in getting into competition? The AX10 is just a basic entry level machine. I bought it just to give it a try but if I were to try competition, I would go with something much higher end.

Your best bet would be to find a local group and go and see what they would recommend for the type of crawling you plan to do. I would like to try competition but budget is a concern for me. After trying it out with a cheepie crawler, I can see that I should have started with something higher end. But then again, until I knew that crawling was something I would stick with, I didn't outlay a lot of cash to find out. I guess I will have to sell the Axial and see what the budget will handle from there.

All the best with what ever you decide to go with my friend, just have fun with it!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 08-14-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Rubinuk
RCC Noob

I am: Eric H

Im 100% certain that I will love crawlin, since it will let me wheel in the winter, even if its only in my basement. The problem with putting a jeep body on a crawler is that I think it will be hard to modify to look like my jeep.

With the aftermarket fenders on my jeep I was thinking that it would be easier with the timberwolf chassis to add in fenders like mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24bw3uq.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	115725  
Rubinuk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in