Best Club For Wings Program - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
ten64
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Tony D.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1
Question Best Club For Wings Program

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK

A disclaimer before I start.

I am not looking to start a war here. LOL!

I have never had a plane in the air, and am looking to learn. I am close enough to Milton, Burlington, Mississauga, and Georgetown, to join any of them.

I am looking for Pros & Cons of each club, to help me make a decision.

Any help?

(Please keep responses to the topic of training)

Last edited by ten64; 05-28-2010 at 09:29 PM.
ten64 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41
Re: Best Club For Wings Program

They should all be similar in their training regimen.
The club prsidents and Cheif flight instructors of the SouthEast Ontario zone have attended a couple of meetings to discuss training programs etc.
All are slightly different but all will get you the results you are looking for.
As for club atmosphere and the people, i cannot comment.
But I do know people from pretty much all of those clubs and I haven't met a bad guy yet

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
ten64
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Tony D.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1

How about things such as dedicated assigned instructor, vs you get whoever happens to be available?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
rcpilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Maqsood

Total Props: 0

Mississauga club is mostly heli and might not have a student training program.
Georgetown and burlington I beleive do have some sort of training program, I think, they assign a student to a specific instructor for the season. Maybe someone else who knows for sure can tell you about them.

OMFC (my club) have well organised student training program, Runs from Victoria day to labour day. Every Tuesday and Thursday from 5PM to sunset. You show up with your plane and buddy box ready to fly, line up your pin on the board, any instructor on that night who is ready to take up a student will check whoever is next will take you up for a flight. No particular instructor assigned to any student. Once you are confident, you schedule a test with CFI and if passed get your wings.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXS...hYlGsXmhcYNn9g
rcpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #5

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot View Post
Mississauga club is mostly heli and might not have a student training program.
Georgetown and burlington I beleive do have some sort of training program, I think, they assign a student to a specific instructor for the season. Maybe someone else who knows for sure can tell you about them.

OMFC (my club) have well organised student training program, Runs from Victoria day to labour day. Every Tuesday and Thursday from 5PM to sunset. You show up with your plane and buddy box ready to fly, line up your pin on the board, any instructor on that night who is ready to take up a student will check whoever is next will take you up for a flight. No particular instructor assigned to any student. Once you are confident, you schedule a test with CFI and if passed get your wings.
There are pros and cons of the dedicated instructor. Consistency and familiarity verses availability and differing points of view. I liked the idea that I didn’t have to wait for my instructor when I showed up at the field as a beginner. When I learned, there were at the most 5 or 6 instructors and by flying with them all I learned a multitude of different tricks and tip on everything from engine set up to flying. Through this I made an educated routine picking the best of each instructor that I follow to this day. As I instruct I pass these on as part of my instruction. I feel with this method instruction is constantly evolving for the better.

Picking a club is also easy if you do some leg work. You are lucky you have so many options to choose from. Visit the clubs you are considering on their instruction nights. Bring your airplane and equipment fully charged. If I were you I would be observing the instructors in action for a bit then let them know you are a newbie and have your plane in the car fully charged up and would like someone to take a look at it. The club that has what appears to be a well structured beginner program then welcomes you and makes you feel the most comfortable would be my choice.

Dennis

Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #6

Total Props: 57

Best way is to visit the clubs and to soak up the atmosphere. Talk to some of the isntructors and see how you feel about them.

I'd defintiely check out the MIssissauga and Milton/Oakville clubs. The history of MAAC and the two clubs is practically incestuous (founding members of MAAC, presidents, committee members and chairman, WINGS program, common members -- people who belong to both clubs.)

Halton Hills used to have a large number of MMFC alumni and probably still do.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Old 06-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
hevee
RCC Apprentice

I am: herman j

where do I sign up ?
hevee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
spyder3
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Vlad Jandetski
Radio of choice:
JR9303, Graupner HOTT
# of RCs: 5

I am a member of Burlington club http://www.brcm.org/
The advantages of this club compare to other

1. Asphalt and grass strips
2. Personal instructor (flexibility in arranging the pilot lessons)
3. Two free of charge club nitro trainer aircraft (You do not need to bring your own one. I am not sure about radio and buddy box)

Couldn't be better IMO
spyder3 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in