needle setting to tune DLE 111(or any engine) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 07-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Minty
RCC Contributor

I am: James J
Radio of choice:
AIRtronics 2.4/JR 2.4g
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
needle setting to tune DLE 111(or any engine)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
HI guys been flying my DLE 111 for about 50 flights now and have been having fun.. I am needing some guidance on tuning it though.

The only difference is , is this DLE has a GP123 carb as the Dle was crap out of box. Right now i have not changed anything other then the high speed in about 1/8 turn. When I running on the ground it idles perfect and full trottle as well. When I advance the throttle about 1/3 up the engine kind of bogs down then revs up. Not sure what I am looking for but I am thinking the low end is a bit rich..

Plus I am travelling from Central Alberta to Southern Manitoba and want to know if I am going to have to adjust the needles??

Thanks
James
Minty is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 21
Re: needle setting to tune DLE 111(or any engine)

Hey James, this is my method

Open your needles a 1/4 turn. Then start with the high needle, lean until you get maximum rpm. (don't worry what the lo end is doing).

Then go to the lo needle and start leaning it gradually, testing after every tweak (make sure the engine is set for a lo idle, transition in quick bursts to half throttle) until it doesn't want to transition properly. Then in small increments open the lo needle until the transition is good. It shouldn't take to much to achieve this.

Then go back to your hi needle and work it over again.

Best scenario is once warmed up it should be able to idle for any length of time and then transition without hesitation. This will generally require a quite lean lo needle....in fact with some engines when cold, they only run on one cylinder (twin) until they warm up when set properly.

Takes a few minutes and restarts.....Hope this helps
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in