RCC Apprentice

I am: Zach H
Radio of choice:
Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 2
Ontario I'm New

Hey Everyone,
My name is Zach. I'm kind of new to the forums. I have posted in the past a year or two ago when I was interested in rc trucks. Now rc aviation has caught my eye, so I'm back to the forums... Anyway I don't have much experience in flying rc planes I have had a sky fly 2 park flyer but it never got far off the ground. My dad and I tried flying it a couple times but had little success. I then got into rc trucks thinking it would be easier. It Was. I found it got boring pretty quick and driving in circles got kind of boring and bashing is too expensive for all the upgrades and new parts. Anyway for some reason I have always had a little bit of an interest is rc I just haven't found something i can stick with. I think the main thing that brought me to the aviation aspect of rc was that i can build form kits or plans. Anyway I just wanted to introduce by self to the forums...

Also I was wondering what do you like most about the hobby and what has kept you hooked?

Thanks for reading,
-Zach
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
g1975a
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15
Re: I'm New

Welcome Zach.

For me, I like a challenge so learning to fly is something new and challenging. As far as RC trucks, I got tired of waiting for training nights to get my wings so I had to fill my RC desire with some trucks .
Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Welcome Zach, if you need help just ask away. After you build a model and fly it successfully you will be hooked.

Bill
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
rotormonkey13
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

Welcome Zach.. Same for me.. It's the challenge that's kept me on with it. There's always something new to get into.

I started on helicopters. There's so much to them it's not funny. Learning to fly (very difficult), the physics behind them, how they're built.

Now I'm more into fixed wing aerobatic planes. I just started doing IMAC (competition precision aerobatic flying).

Now I'm looking at setting up an FPV (first person view) ship. Stick a video camera and some radio stuff so you can fly the heli from the "cockpit". Tres cool.

No matter what you've done in this hobby there's always something else to get your juices flowing. That's what I love about it.

Besides that, just the great guys out at the club. Shooting the breeze with them is half the reason I keep coming back. Even if I never fly a single flight when I get out there I still always have a good time.

FWIW, it might be worth joining a club and getting some instruction. Then your just about guaranteed success.

Anyway good luck Zach! Hope you get everything out of this hobby that I have.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
uberjay
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jason U
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Total Props: 11
Thumbs up Re: I'm New

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotormonkey13 View Post
FWIW, it might be worth joining a club and getting some instruction. Then your just about guaranteed success.
+1 to that! Joining a club is the safest way to enter and the likeliest way to stay long term.

Here's a link to the MAAC site for a club in your area (Goderich I believe?):

http://www.maac.ca/clubs/clubs_info.php?clb=277

Oh, and for me it is all of the above reasons and more as to why I like the hobby.

Cheers,
J
uberjay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
cordless33
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotormonkey13 View Post
Welcome Zach.. Same for me.. It's the challenge that's kept me on with it. There's always something new to get into.

I started on helicopters. There's so much to them it's not funny. Learning to fly (very difficult), the physics behind them, how they're built.

Now I'm more into fixed wing aerobatic planes. I just started doing IMAC (competition precision aerobatic flying).

Now I'm looking at setting up an FPV (first person view) ship. Stick a video camera and some radio stuff so you can fly the heli from the "cockpit". Tres cool.

No matter what you've done in this hobby there's always something else to get your juices flowing. That's what I love about it.

Besides that, just the great guys out at the club. Shooting the breeze with them is half the reason I keep coming back. Even if I never fly a single flight when I get out there I still always have a good time.

Anyway good luck Zach! Hope you get everything out of this hobby that I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1975a View Post
Welcome Zach.

For me, I like a challenge so learning to fly is something new and challenging. As far as RC trucks, I got tired of waiting for training nights to get my wings so I had to fill my RC desire with some trucks .
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Welcome Zach, if you need help just ask away. After you build a model and fly it successfully you will be hooked.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
+1 to that! Joining a club is the safest way to enter and the likeliest way to stay long term.

Here's a link to the MAAC site for a club in your area (Goderich I believe?):

http://www.maac.ca/clubs/clubs_info.php?clb=277

Oh, and for me it is all of the above reasons and more as to why I like the hobby.

Cheers,
J
Hey, Thanks guys. Yea I am aware of the club in my area but don't hear much about them. once I really start getting into the hobby I will join the club for sure. When I was into the rc trucks more it got boring because I was always driving by my self. I had to drive about an hour to race or even just bash with someone so I never really go to meet anyone in the hobby. Hopefully with a local club it will be much easier to have fun and meet new people. I have also heard of the FPV and it seems pretty cool. I also like the acrobatic flying.

Anyway Thanks for reading and replying to my post. This forum is very friendly and I appreciate the responses.

-Zach
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Edmond Y
RCC Apprentice

I am: |Yuk Choi Y

Total Props: 0

Welcome Zach, great to know that you are ready to become part of this hobby, every year pilots come and go, I start flying air hog for fun several years ago, I however never got too serious about learning how to fly. I've been into many outdoor hobbies but now base on my health and phsical ability, I am no longer able to do hunting and kayaking anymore. Flying a plane is just give me back my outdoor life in a sunny day. The excitement and anxiety got me hooked. regardless a school yard or a large park, there are always some place you can fly. chating with other pilot about their palne or how to use the equitment is pure joy.

Enjoy the stay.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
cordless33
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
Welcome Zach, great to know that you are ready to become part of this hobby, every year pilots come and go, I start flying air hog for fun several years ago, I however never got too serious about learning how to fly. I've been into many outdoor hobbies but now base on my health and phsical ability, I am no longer able to do hunting and kayaking anymore. Flying a plane is just give me back my outdoor life in a sunny day. The excitement and anxiety got me hooked. regardless a school yard or a large park, there are always some place you can fly. chating with other pilot about their palne or how to use the equitment is pure joy.

Enjoy the stay.

Edmond
Hey thanks for the reply! Your post just reminded me of my first Air hog. It was one of the originals I think. You had to pump it up with air then spin the prop and it would fly on its own. I used the think it was so cool as a kid. I still do.

-Zach
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Glenn Nigh
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

Lots of great advice here on RC Canada, Zach. Welcome, join a Club for lots of happy flying.
Cheers Glenn
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7

Heh Zach; welcome to the collective. I notice you stated that you were drawn in by the chance to build. I hear you there. I have five models in the hanger (basement) now, and have only flown two of them so far. I am really drawn to the building of these half machine half art creatures.
Something that may help you get a handle on actually flying is a simulator. It's a bummer to build a plane up and then wreck it on the first flight because you have no idea of how it flies. The sim can teach you a lot and is another hobby by itself. A club, of course, is the place to get real help from someone who has flown the type of model you have and can buddie up (a link to your TX lets them overide you to bail you out) Club members have insurance too.
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
aviation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in