Old 12-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21
New FAA Reg's

I am sure that many of you are aware of the new FAA Reg which was just published this week and will come into force as of Dec 21, requiring registration of all US pilots operating unmanned aircraft (planes, helis, drones, multi rotors etc) that weigh between 250 g (.55 lbs) up to 55 lbs.

There is much discussion on other forums here on RCC and as well on the IMAC web site and on many other RC fora. So I won't dive into the arguments about the legality of the reg.

I am just going to post (below) the recommendation of the IMAC Board that has been published on the IMAC web site. For those of us that fly at US contests and events it is vitally important that we comply with the new regulation.

As of yet there is not a submission process for foreign nationals who are not residents of the US. We will all have to keep our eyes open for something on the FAA registration site that allows us to make our submissions and received a certificate of ownership and a number we can affix to our planes.

From the IMAC President - Mike Karnes:

This week the FAA let us all know of their plans to have everyone register as users of the NAS. This may not have been what the AMA wanted to happen, nevertheless it has happened and we will need to be registered no later than February 19, 2016. The registration process begins as soon as the online registration becomes active beginning on December 21, 2015.

The IMAC BOD is asking that all IMAC pilots go online and register to comply with this. The IMAC BOD also realizes that AMA is still in talks with the FAA. To be realistic, nothing is probably going to change at this point and we would like all of our members to be ready for the 2016 contest schedule.

Please go to www.faa.gov/uas/registration beginning on December 21, 2015. Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft.

Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years.

The normal registration fee is $5, but in an effort to encourage as many people as possible to register quickly, the FAA is waiving this fee for the first 30 days (from Dec. 21, 2015 to Jan 20, 2016).

Other than having to register as users of the NAS, IMAC has not found or know of any other rule changes. With that being said, IMAC contests are expected to be held exactly the same for 2016 as they have in past years.

Thanks for your continued support
IMAC BOD
Old 12-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
goneflyin
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Don M

Total Props: 3
Re: New FAA Reg's

Thanks Bill for the headsup.
Just what the world needs, more bureaucracy, but I get it, something had to be done because of the millions of 'drones' coming on the market.
So now, waiting on pins and needles to find out how the international pilots will be registered. Hope it's figured out soon!

Don
goneflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

The AMA has just released a statement encouraging members to hold off on registering for now They may litigate.

I will however register as soon as the process is clear for Canadians. Any litigation will linger long into the IMAC season and I'll bet the border guys will expect compliance.

Last edited by Trumpetman; 12-17-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetman View Post
The AMA has just released a statement encouraging members to hold off on registering for now They may litigate.

I will however register as soon as the process is clear for Canadians. Any litigation will linger long into the IMAC season and I doubt the border guys will expect compliance.
Hi Gordon - yeah holding off may only mean you have to pay to register since in the US it appears that it is free for the first 30 days starting Dec 21. Quite right re the Border Services guys, I would rather have the certificate in hand rather than get turned back without one.

Don / Ralph - For us we will all just have to keep our ears to the ground and see how this evolves.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Interesting to watch how this is evolving today now that registration is open for US citizens.

For those of us outside of the US if you try the link you just get a large error message that the link is blocked and not configured to work from "your country". In case you want to see the message:

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/register

Also the FAA wants pilots to agree to fly below 400 ft which is of course generating a lot of frustration in the US RC fora. I think Gordon already mentioned the AMA recommendation now to hold off on registration.

I did talk to Ron Graham at length last night and the IMAC BOD is quite frustrated in that one day after they recommended that IMAC pilots register, the AMA came out with the "hold off" recommendation. And then today to see the requirement to agree to flying below 400 ft of course is problematic for scale aerobatics. Needless to say that there are now a number of conversations going on between Mike Karnes and AMA representatives.

So I think we just sit tight and watch how this evolves over the next few weeks. I will paste the list of items below that the FAA is asking UAS pilots to agree to. Most are not issues for us but the 400 ft ceiling is not feasible for IMAC or glider / soaring pilots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	register-agree.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	783858  

Last edited by Billpilotca; 12-21-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Billpilotca is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11

Wow! I can't agree to fly below 400 feet! Wasn't that the restriction intended for r/c pilots who were not flying within the AMA guidelines? The FAA is really overreaching with this initiative!
Old 12-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
bigguy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 3

Thanks for the info Bill!
Old 12-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
mogman
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
DX-18
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 12

From what I read in all these discussions, especially on FG is that the 400 ft. only applies within 3 or 5 miles of an airport.

I wonder how we Canadians that fly in the US can obtain their document of ownership.
I hope the AMA can help to resolve this issue as they are saying not to register yet.
mogman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
From what I read in all these discussions, especially on FG is that the 400 ft. only applies within 3 or 5 miles of an airport.

I wonder how we Canadians that fly in the US can obtain their document of ownership.
I hope the AMA can help to resolve this issue as they are saying not to register yet.
The problem is that when the Americans try to register on-line (which Canadians can not do) they are forced to agree to a statement that they will no fly above 400 feet! There is no connection to the 400 foot "limit" and being a certain distance from an airport. I expect that there will be some litigation before this all settles out! In the meanwhile I will follow the advise of the AMA and not register.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

FAA has gone stupid on thier regulations.

So glad we have MAAC representatives sitting in with TC rule-makers. They already hit a home run with the proactive Drone rules they issued last spring, putting us miles ahead of the Yanks and their archaic regulations. As usual with the FAA, they are years behind on their mandate and still thinking like neanderthals.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in