Really Giant Scale Hurricane - Page 45 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #441
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: Really Giant Scale Hurricane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks. In a couple of weeks, knock on wood, we'll have the wing center section, with gear, mounted on the fuse! That will be a very exciting day.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #442
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Last bit of wing sheeting done this evening on the right wing. I've got about two hours of work left, and then I can separate the right wing, and get to work on matching up the left wing to the center section. I'll have to check with landing gear folks, they might wish to install the gear soon, so may juggle the plan a wee bit, and finish off the left wing completely, while they fit the gear.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #443
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Ran over at lunch, got the lines drawn for trimming all the trailing edges of the left wing panel, and made up my shopping list for after work of wood I need to finish of the wing leading edge, and blocking for the aluminum angle brackets that will connect the outer wing panels to the center section at the mid and aft spars. Museum got the angle material in today, so they'll be all cut and ready to install shortly.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #444
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Left wing attachment complete, so managed to coerce some of the RC Club to help separate that from the wing center section, and move it out of the way. We then got the center section moved into position, and the right wing panel into place. Tomorrow, I'll install the right wing root rib, and start attaching the spars, and leading edge. When that's done, the joiner will get screwed into place, and I can get the right wing sheeting finished up. If all goes well, by next weekend, right wing will be removed, and we can do the finishing work to the wing center section, prior to attaching it to the fuselage, and fitting the landing gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	657265   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	657273   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	657281   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	657289  

Name:	m_IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	657297  
Old 07-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #445
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Wasn't feeling too hot today, so didn't get tons accomplished. I did get the wing center section squared up to the wall, and levelled, and then did the same for the right outer wing panel. I've commenced boxing in the spar joiner, and fitting the outer wing to it's outer rib. By attaching the outer rib to the center wing section, and working from there, it ensures a tight fit. While any gap is covered by a thin piece of sheeting at the join (original had a gap large enough to allow removal of connections), I'd still like the fit to look good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	657625   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	657633  
Old 07-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #446
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Right wing attachment is all done! We've moved the wing center section over to the metal shop, to get the landing gear installed next week. Tomorrow, Leeann will be sanding and filling on the left wing panel, while I work on finishing the leading edge, some sheeting, etc, on the right wing. As soon as they're done, and moved out for paint work, I can get going on the flaps and ailerons.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #447
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

Sounds like a full time job working on this big "model"!
MAAC #20880
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #448
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Pretty much! While I worked on the wing leading edge today, Leeann did a pile of sanding and filling on both outer wing panels. After that, we rough cut the skins for the four flaps, as well as the rib blanks and leading edge. Rib blanks will get cut tomorrow on the band saw, each blank makes a pair of ribs. Leeann will be building the flaps, while I finish the cursed leading edges! lol By end of this week, main landing gear should be complete, and installed into the wing center section. Shop is also doing the leading edge for the center section, from aluminium, which saves me a pile of time, and some weight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	662385   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	662393   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	662401  
Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #449
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Popped over to the museum at lunch, all the ribs are cut, sanded, and ready to attach to the skins. I don't get why it takes the metal guys so long to make a few ribs! lol
Old 07-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #450
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

We both forgot cameras today! Leeann fabricated all four flaps, and got them all assembled today, and I continued the work on the right wing. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get the upper leading edge done, and then flip the wing, finish the bottom of the leading edge. Then while Leeann does a pile of painting, I can get the ailerons fabricated, and off to get fabric attached. Landing gear is looking amazing, should be done and mounted within a week!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in