Imac comp in British Columbia for 06 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Imac comp in British Columbia for 06

I ran into Mike A. from Vernon at the Princeton jet rally yesterday and we decided to put together something for next year. It will hopefully be a joint venture between the Kelowna and Vernon club held in Kelowna. Depending on interest we will probably have basic, sportsman, and advanced classes. Dates and time are yet to be determined.

IF your interested please reply. The basic sequence could be flown with a powerful trainer so any aircraft will do.
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

I should be there, sportsman class.

I hope you are successful, I have had terrible luck getting to contests this year.
I have only attended one all year, although there has been at least 5 within driving distance!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

nice! allot of guy's in my club are in probably 6 in basic and at least 1 in intermediate/ advanced. I think about 3 - 5 from Vernon. Me and another guy are going to present this at our next meeting on OCT 5.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
JimMoss
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Let me know when it is ....... I have to go out there next year for a wedding ..... maybe I'll bring a plane....... !
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Alright, here's a real stupid question. How is IMAC different from Pattern competitions. Is it basically you make up the sequence with IMAC?

Also. I always understood IMAC to be based on Scale models. When you say a powerful trainer, do you mean I could bring out my Eagle and use it in a competition like this? Is not static display also part of scoring, or is that just in the higher levels?

Sorry for the ignorance, but my exposure to the different "types" of flying are very limited, namely Sport (just wiggling the sticks), a little pattern, and I'm also involved in Advanced Rekitting.

Thank you in advance for the info.

Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
JimMoss
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canhos
Alright, here's a real stupid question. How is IMAC different from Pattern competitions. Is it basically you make up the sequence with IMAC?
There is no such thing as a Stupid Question ..... Only Stupid Answers .... so I hope this isn't one of them ...

IMAC puts out Known routines for each class each year, and for Sportsman and up they put out Unknowns each weekend .....

Quote:
Also. I always understood IMAC to be based on Scale models. When you say a powerful trainer, do you mean I could bring out my Eagle and use it in a competition like this? Is not static display also part of scoring, or is that just in the higher levels?
In all classes except Basic you have to use a "Scale" Aerobatic aircraft that has been used at some point since full scale aerobatics has been around, ....... In Basic fly what you bring ..... so yes you could fly your Eagle, Somethin Extra, or even a pattern plane if you so desired ......

Quote:
Sorry for the ignorance, but my exposure to the different "types" of flying are very limited, namely Sport (just wiggling the sticks), a little pattern, and I'm also involved in Advanced Rekitting.
If you don't ask .... you will never know!

Quote:
Thank you in advance for the info.

Mike
You are Welcome!
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Thanks alot Jim.

If I understand this correctly, the basic difference is the planes, Pattern comps, the planes will all be the same at the higher levels (within reason) . IMAC, you get your choice of a Yak or Sukhoi or w.h.y. And the size limitation is larger?

I'll need to get our club guru to show me what this is all about. Maybe I'll take the pipe off my 40 sized Giles 202 ARF and bring it up this spring. Providing i don't rekit it before then.

Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:53 AM   #8
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Mike,

Checkout http://www.mini-iac.com for more info.

There are no size limitations in any of the classes other then MAAC's weight restriction.

As Jim Moss said only the classes above Basic have to use a recognizable scale model of an aerobatic aircraft to compete. Don't build an Extra and duplicate every rivet and panel line though... you don't wan't that kind of weight on an IMAC plane.

I flew a GP PT 40 in my very first contest in Basic and managed to nail an 8 out of 10 on a Humpty bump.... but it wouldn't spin worth sh*t.

An aerobatic model in the .60 to 1.20 size is good to start but Chris from the Chatham Aeronauts managed to post a 3rd place in Basic this past weekend with a Twist so it can be done with a .45 size ARF!

The main thing here is to have fun. Yes the Higher clases will spend $1000.00s of dollars on aircaraft but you don't HAVE to.

Download the current Basic sequence and try flying it this weekend or at least try each manouver individually at first. I fy you can't read the aresti just email me and I will send you the written out description.

Get a couple of guys together and each fly and the others watch to see what mistakes you are making. Believe me 12 eyes are better then 2!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:33 AM   #9
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I was flying the basic Imac sequence this weekend and to me it was quite enjoyable. This weekend im going to fly the sportsman a whole lot of times for practice. Anouther diffrence between pattern is in Imac you rarely fly out of the box the whole sequence is strung together.

The sequence is on the maac website under documents/forms.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #10

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
I was flying the basic Imac sequence this weekend and to me it was quite enjoyable. This weekend im going to fly the sportsman a whole lot of times for practice. Anouther diffrence between pattern is in Imac you rarely fly out of the box the whole sequence is strung together.

The sequence is on the maac website under documents/forms.
Only in Sportsman pattern do you fly out of the box, the rest is full turnaround within the box, and our box on pattern is MUCH smaller and we are far more strict on manuver/aircraft placement within it.

There are a number of other differences,

Pattern:

-Limited to 2 meter x 2 meter length and wingspan, although this is never checked, especially in the lower classes.
-Max weight 5kg, again rarely if every checked in any class.
-Any aircraft design, scale, not scale we dont care
-5 classes to fly in
-Planes for pattern are purposely built for precision, they are not multi-purpose 3D planes as in IMAC....therefore they fly more precise. Probably some of the easiest planes to fly. Still very aerobatic, and capable of everything but the wildest 3D stuff....rolling circles, loops etc no problem.
-Lots of contests and competitors in BC and Alberta to attend (6-7 contests)
-Very quiet, very small noise footprint while flying....you will never be restricted by any noise limit with a pattern plane
-A typical 1 season old (300 flights) pattern model, decked to the 9's will cost around $3500 RTF This would be a model capable of competing in the highest levels (World Championships) of pattern. Its easy to get into pattern for much less than that with a very good ARF and two stroke motor (OS 160).
-Planes are relatively small and easy to transport....I can fit mine in a Toyota Echo hatchback!

So, it depends on what you want....the actual sequences are largely similar...its the planes that are the main difference.

I counted about 75 active pattern competitors in BC and Alberta, 6-7 contests throughout the summer. Lots of used equipment up for sale on a fairly regular basis. Lots of very talented fliers to give you a hand.....in fact Mike Allman was just at a pattern contest with me 2 weeks ago in Aldergrove.

I think Mike is building some new pattern planes this winter, he would probably sell you his USA Star that he is flying now
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in