Plane for Saito .30 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Ross Kean

Total Props: 0
Plane for Saito .30

I have a new Saito 30 four stroke that is looking for a home. I would either an ARF or a good kit. There seems to be a pretty poor selection of planes available in 25 size! I saw an interesting set of plans on the RCM site for a 25-size Jungmeister biplane but I'm not sure I'm up for a build from plans.

The engine is obviously not a powerhouse. Ideally, I would like a moderately aerobatic biplane but can't find anything suitable. There used to be a 30 size Waco available (Global?) but it is discontinued and was fairly expensive. I would certainly consider another style of airgraft. Although the engine is quite suitable, I don't think I want to do a Cub - too many of them around.

Suggestions??

Ross
Ross Kean is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Double your fun..get another one and put them both in a twin star

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Ross Kean

A Twinstar or other twin would be a lot of fun but unless I can get another Saito 30 for the same price (free), it won't happen! Prize draw at last year's Great Atlantic Funfly.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Don M.

What about a mini Funtana or Edge. There is a thread floating around where they put a .25 2 - stroke in it and with the difference in muffler weight a .30 4 - stroke is not much heavier.

GP makes a .30 size Taylorcraft that would be nice. I even thought of that one myself. My LHS has had one on his shelf for eon's and I look at it everytime I go in there.

Actually I missed last years GAFF because it was later than usually, if I had attended I'm sure I would have won that Saito. Maybe you should send it to me just to clear your conscience
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Ross Kean

DON

I already have a larger Extra 300 (Vectorflight) with a Saito 100 so I was looking for something a little different. I looked at a Tequila Sunrise (25 size) but the 4S is not really the right engine for this type of plane.

I had really good luck at GAFF - won a $50.00 gift certificate too!

Ross
Old 02-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
volksman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: robert j

Total Props: 16
global makes a couple of arfs an extra and the tequila i believe or the texan. i had one in a extra real dog till i went micro gear and then wow
sweetest little thing ya ever saw. the lanier kit same as the pull out plan from rcm yrs ago
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

I have 3 Saito .30's. There are a number of inexpensive kits that you could use the Saito on. Are you decided on a bipe? (I love bipes but there are a few interesting choices available)

Page Aviation in the maritimes sells a plane called a "NewBee". Great fun little plane; reasonable easy to build. It was a prize here on RCC a year or two ago. Even comes with a great pilot.

http://www.adrianpage.com/newbee.html

Ken Park designed an "Orville". Again a fun small plane; relatively easy to build from what I can see. ( I start it by the end of March). The laser cut short kit is available at

http://welasercut.com/lasercart/inde...roducts_id=135

These first two are Canadian planes as well.

I have the plans for a kit no longer in production called a Stagger Bee. This is basically a small bipe from the Clancy Aviation family where the entire upper wing is split and acts as ailerons. This will be a scratch build; hopefully getting done by the summer to bring to the SMALL event. Building from plans isn't as hard as it sounds. Just takes some patience.

Lots of other choices exist. If you want a bipe, I know that RCM&E had plans a few years back for a basic bipe that the Saito .30 would be perfect for as well.

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
popcan
RCC Senior Contributor

Saito 30

Ill give you $50.00 for it since you got paid $50.00 already to take it home with you ..
Old 03-01-2006, 05:43 AM   #9
Ross Kean

Popcan

Maybe I could give you $50.00 for another one so I could build a twin?

Nuker

The NewBee is a cute little airplane! I like the idea of building it with floats. It looks like a good match for the engine. Any idea how it flys?

I was looking at a Bucker Jungmeister at RCM although it might be a tough build for someone who hasn't done any building from plans
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...m=plans:PL-856
Old 03-01-2006, 06:19 AM   #10
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7
Thanks Nuker!

Thanks Nuker! for the All CDN product review!

Yup Orville is a fun flying model for the .25 size in mind!
The semi kit is extremely easy to build! 90% is notched or slotted for a fast building model!

Lots of room up front for any engine .25-.32 2 stroke or any .30 4 stroke!

The model is very light 3-3.5lbs if you use the recommended gear!

The Orville would be great on floats! Simply add an extra landing gear block 3-4" back of the known rear block would do the job so you could mount your floats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_687b_256.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	14836   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_681b_152.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	14837  
ken park is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in