RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
Cool Hot planes and internet scams?

I am becoming concerned with the amount of new people selling planes with no location and no feedback.Robbery is a part of our everyday lives due to drugs alcohol.
These people will steal anything from baby clothes to hobby supplies Just to flip and make a buck to buy drugs .
Ask the hobby shops in Calgary why they're putting in electronic gates at the doors.

DANM THESE PEOPLE ARE GIVING FLIPPERS LIKE MYSELF A BAD NAME. lol

I think it is time that people on this forum become aware of this and start taking some precautions to protect your self.

I recently got ripped off on RC Universe and without going into to much detail all as I can say
is I got his phone (not worth the paper you write it on)(got his address same)Talked to him on phone (nice trick)other things led me to believe he was an honest hobbyist.
What did I do and none of this helped .
Called his home town police
Call every hobby shop and flying club within 50 miles of him (one guy new him but would not help) Thank god for free long distance.
Repeatedly called number provided No Response.
Emails till they came out my ears.
The one group that did help was RC Universe they banned him.
Oh I know you can re apply under another name.
Know I am not crying in my beer over this but I am trying to warn people of the scam artist and thieves .
A for instance Scenario
All of a sudden you have a new member no address ,won't respond when questioned about location ect ect I am sure you have all seen one .

So I ask you what can we do to protect ourselves from Internet thieves.

I will start with one I now use and that is to ask if you can have you
brother pick the item up .
He just live 20 miles from your town. I did this a few times and wholla ====I got one that refused the request.

So if you have any suggestion please feel free to add them to the list.
My final word
Sparky
Old 05-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Pangaea
RCC Contributor

Re: Hot planes and internet scams?

Castration...

I'm against those who put their items up for sale and don't describe them properly.....I still say Castration
Pangaea is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
pep
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Phil E. P
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 7

Where is "jetjock" Mike Labonte is think he needs castration.
Anybody knows of his where about, he owes me a set of Spring Air retracts.

Phil
pep is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

HI fellows
I feel your disgust for these guys but I think like myself you have to get over it . It's in the past.

Lets make some positive suggestions to help our fellow modelers from them getting stung.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

I've always bought things from members that I feel I know. Albiet from the internet world. People who post constructivly and have been around for a while and have good feedback. I have been ripped off way more in the real world than I have over the web. This is not to suggest that anyone who has been ripped off over the web has been careless.
I find it funny that 20 years ago we never would have imagined sending away money to some guy we don't know and expecting them to send the agreed upon goods. At least not to the degree we do now. Ebay has changed the way we do buisness so that now it has become common place to do transations with people whom we know olny by "FlyGuy86" or whatever. At any rate I think that some people have to stop and think once in a while about who they are sending money too.

Sorry to hear about your latest bad deal Sparky.

Casteration is a good option. Also posting their name on public forums is good. Word spreads fast.

Take care. George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084

Last edited by g-manz35; 05-17-2009 at 06:19 PM.
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
Where is "jetjock" Mike Labonte is think he needs castration.
Anybody knows of his where about, he owes me a set of Spring Air retracts.

Phil
You ain't the only one it seems

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=86733
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
DW_Crash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics / Aristocraft-Polks
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 3
Exclamation Re: Hot planes and internet scams?

Dear fellow modellers,

There have always been scammers and Hot planes out there. It is a dark part of society that some feel that they have the right to make a few bucks at the expense of others.

The first crooks used to pawn, trade or have a 'dealer' sell their ill gotten booty. This was small in scope and usually easy to catch. Everyone knews what planes are out there.

Ebay was the beginning of the REAL SCAMERS. Ebay gave cover, a nameless face and easy access to millions of buyers. A scammers paradise. Scammers from outright thieves to 'con artists' thrived there. And, to some small extent still do. Ebay got cleaned up when, AVERAGE member spoke up and reported the scammers, crooks and thieves. The KEY is for members to speak up and chase these people away. REPORT them to the people who can deal with them.

I know that some of these scammers moved to forums like RCG, RCU, Wattflyer and even here. They also upgraded from scamming on others site to setting up their own website to scam from. They just moved as members and 'owners' learned who they are and then BANNED them from using their site for their scams.

The Key way to keep the internet, Forums such a this, Ebay and other trading sites from becoming corrupted is for those of us that KNOW these scammer to speak up and tell owners/moderators and or members about these people. That is the only form of policing we have available on the WWW.

I am a GREAT ADVOCATE of members informing other member and moderators of these people as they appear on the sites. I have suffered many slings and arrows because of it. (You learn quickly every scammer has his circle of vicious/rabit supporters) But I believe it is the right thing to do. Send these characters to the farthest corners of the web and get them BANNISHED FROM GREAT SITES SUCH AS RC CANADA. Keep great sites scammers free. SPEAK UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT AND TRUE.

That's my twoonie on internet crooks, thieves and scammers.

DW_Crash

P.S. I have no problem with scammers that admit their crimes and apologize/ make good to their victims. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Last edited by DW_Crash; 05-17-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling error
DW_Crash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Oh the sacm that really hurts is when someone on ebay buys an item from you. They then pay with it through paypal. We ship the item using paypal Canada Post system. All is well. Not!! Buyer says he/she never bought this never authorized the paypal transaction. I must have got ahold of their account and did this. Yes right they are in South Africa and I am in Ontario.Cost me pretty near $75.USD

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

I don't get it. He has good feedback. Something happen to him?

George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
DW_Crash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics / Aristocraft-Polks
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 3

HiFly2104,

I have heard of that new Ebay/PayPal scam. I understand they are plugging that hole in their security.

Crooks are always ahead of law enforcement.

Sorry for your loss. I too have had a bad Ebay experience. So I understand.

DW_Crash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in