Great Planes RV4 flaps - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Scale Freak

Total Props: 0
Great Planes RV4 flaps

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am at the point of attaching flaps to my 40 size GP RV-4.
The flaps have a flat LE and are hinged near the lower edge. The problem I see is that when deployed there will be a big honkin crevace in the top
surface of the wing.
This would totally disrupt the airflow over the top surface of the wing and flap, thus defeating the flaps purpose.
I am thinking of modifying the LE to a round shape with corrosponding
cup shape mate surface on the wings TE.
Anyone else have experiance here?
Dan
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Scale Freak

O.K, have figured out a solution.
I have repositioned the hinges from the bottom of the flap to 1/8in from the top of the flap LE, and angled the LE from the hinge to the bottom of the flap to 3/8in back.
Now the flap will rotate from the top edge thus keeping the top surface of the wing smoother for the airflow. There is a gap on the bottom of the wing when the flap is in the up position, but that is much less critical than having a gap on the top.
I suppose I could even rig up a flexible gap seal for the wing bottom, but we will see.

Dan
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
rmcdicken
RCC Noob

I am: Rob M

Scale freak;

I'm building a GP RV-4 as well and like you, thought the idea of a huge gap at the top of the flap a bit unsightly as well as being aerodynamically unclean. Like you I milled over the idea of creating a scale leading edge for the flaps, but decided not to go through the hastle for a stand off scale aircraft.

I ended up putting the hingline for the flaps just below the midpoint of the flap leading edge and beveling the bottom. I also used robart hinge points instead of the ca hinges included in the kit. I'm quite pleased with the result. A nice clean line when the flaps are retracted and only a small gap when extended. The robart hinge keeps everything nice and tight to the back of the wing with no rubbing or binding.

Cheers,
rmcdicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in