Extreme Makeover: RC Edition - Page 10 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #91
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

I am: Dave R

Total Props: 2
Re: Extreme Makeover: RC Edition

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

With that done, I can see how much that wood weighs

The voids created by cutting this stuff out is replaced with lighter 1/8 balsa sheet.

Last edited by Dave_ORCC; 03-29-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Dave_ORCC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #92
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

I also re-capped the ribs where the outboard servo mount was.

The wood that has been cut out will be replaced by the DDD boxes and control arms.

At first glance you might think that this is actually heavier than the conventional set up but, you’ll see as the install progresses that some of what is in the above pic also gets cut down a fair bit. There is also some more wood to be removed from the wing and aileron.

Here’s a pic of the box that will eventually hold the servo and where it will get installed into the trailing edge of the wing.

Last edited by Dave_ORCC; 03-29-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Dave_ORCC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #93
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

The DDD stuff comes with cut templates to guide you as you cut big chunks out of the trailing edge. With the template aligned with the hing line you mark what needs to be cut out.

Now we use those lines and cut a big hole in the trailing edge! Yikes!! A bit scary, to be honest.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #94
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62

Looks great Dave!!!

I`ve never seen a Durant Install done on a built-up wing before - should be really cool to see it come together!

That`s a little scary how much wood is left around the cut-out on a built-up wing (not nearly as scary when you have a couple pounds of foam and balsa sheeting around the cut-outs on a core/sheeted system.

Please keep us in the loop how this affects rigidity, etc!!!

Watching with interest!

Trev
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #95
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

ok, not sure what's going on here. The pics that I'm trying to embed are getting all screwed up. Could be a little glitch with Picassa.

Stand by while I try to get this sorted out.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #96
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

Picassa seems to be working fine now....... on with the updates........

With this wood removed from the trailing edge, it’s a bit flimsy, to say the least. With the box installed and securely glued in place, the trailing edge is as rigid, if not more rigid than it was originally.

Repeat the process 3 more times and we’ve got all the servo boxes mounted.

With that done, we move on to the ailerons. Essentially the same procedure here except there is a bit more material removed to provide clearance for the boxes as the aileron deflects up and down. Here I’ve marked what needs to be removed.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #97
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

As you can see, the hole extends further into the aileron than in the trailing edge of the wing. Once that is all cut out, the hole that is revealed is capped with balsa. Doing this gives the covering material something to bond to and it also rebuilds the rigidity into the leading edge of the aileron. Think of this like a shear web connecting an upper and lower spar. I guess I didn’t really take any pics of this specifically but, in the next couple of pics you’ll see what I mean.

Now, we have to glue the control arms into the ailerons. First I take the supplied DDD control arm and mount an aluminum servo arm to it. Then I cut it down to the appropriate shape and size.

Initially, I cut them oversize then slowly sanded of material as needed to get them to the correct size. Eventually, I was happy with the fit.

Prior to shaping the control horns, I cut an appropriate slot in the aileron for the arm to fit into. Here you can see the DDD arm partially installed in the slot.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #98
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

Now we slide it in completely and align it with the already installed hinges and securely glue it in place.

Again, repeat 3 more times and the DDD system is complete.

With everything buttoned up it’s time to program some servos. Here’s a bit of a con with the DDD system. Programming is a bit trickier with this system because the servos aren’t easily accessible. It’s tough to disconnect one at a time for programming. I programmed the servos to match as closely as I could while they were out of the wing then installed them and fine tuned the system to work smoothly with no binding. To connect everything up, you need to mount the servos to the control horns.

With that done, slide the servos into the boxes and push them in until the hinges all line up.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #99
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

Now re-install the hing cotter pins and we’re done!! All in all, relatively painless. I’ve uploaded a short video to YouTube if you’re interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNFQoSlNj3M

You can hear a bit of servo buzzing which is just the weight of the aileron. I didn't show it in the little vid but, I had a watt meter hooked up and while the servos are moving there's about a .5amp draw but once you stop moving the stick, the current draw falls back to zero. I'm happy with the results. I'll let ya know in August how I like the DDD system

Next up, covering!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #100
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
That`s a little scary how much wood is left around the cut-out on a built-up wing (not nearly as scary when you have a couple pounds of foam and balsa sheeting around the cut-outs on a core/sheeted system.
Yep, when I had first cut it all out, it was a bit scary. After the install of the box itself, it stiffened right back up. ** insert joke here **

A while back I gave John Durant a call and asked a few questions. He assured me that it'd be just fine in the end. He also recommended aligning the boxes with a rib if possible and glue the box to the rib as well. Of course, in this wing, the ribs aren't perpendicular to the hinge line so I couldn't do that. I did, however, position the boxes so that the back corner met up with a rib. I then glued the box to the rib and reinforced it with a small 1/4" stick of balsa. Hopefully that holds up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in