What airplanes have you owned that you wish you never had? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #31
Harvard 387
RCC Contributor

I am: Don Forness
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: 38

Total Props: 3
Re: What airplanes have you owned that you wish you never had?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Worst airplane I have ever owned is the Multiplex Super Cub. Landing gear is so thin that You can't lnd without a prop strike...and I can land.
The plane is a foamy and is so light it won't penetrate into any kind of wind, and we don't have dead calm days in Saskatchewan. Flaps are a joke, the thing flies so light that with flaps it's like trying to land a Corn Flake.
It hangs in my garage where there is no wind! There it will stay!
Harvard 387 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #32
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46

Great Planes Seawind. Had a terrible time keeping the plane from porpoising on takeoff. Weak pylon caused enough flexing on porpoising for the prop to strike the fuse top. Never enjoyed the takeoffs of this plane. Did get it off several times and once in the air, not a bad flier. Only a half dozen flights before becoming a hangar queen.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #33
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Yes , have heard that about all Seawinds being a bear to get airborne.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:11 AM   #34
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
What airplanes have you owned that you wish you never had?

1) Any, all, and every single one of those flat foam board indoor flyer 3D type abominations. (electrifly, ikarus, flatouts, etc). I went through at least 4 kits of them, top of the line ones, and had built probably another 3 or 4 from scratch poster board. I could fly them just fine, 3D too. I just hated the way they would "fly". Truly, I got more satisfaction and much better flyers by making flying pizza boxes with rubber band motors. I tried those foamy's only to get into learning the upcoming mini electronics and mini epower systems technology. That part was fun. The planes, I kept changing them looking for a flyer ... well they all sucked and just were/are not planes, period. Those eventually died out and gave way to decent full frame and fully airfoiled EP foam park/indoor flyers found today.

2) eFlight's Mini Funtana. The yellow balsa one. A well executed design. Pretty little plane. Actually a decent flyer if you could get that far with it. That little MiniFFer was just so VERY fragile. If you so much as sneezed in it's direction it would shiver and snap a stringer. Not a useable model. Display only.

3) Those Blade cx2/3 and Axe dual rotor helis thingys. They were expensive for what you got, and they were so ... so ... well, yaaaaawn. I've had more fun flying helium balloons around the couch with a hair dryer.

4) The last one I cannot fault completely as it was the one that I eventually got my wings on, learned how to do structure repairs, recovering, and design-building techniques on. It was sold as a trainer, but simply was not up to the task. I had to do so many modifications to it to make it into a durable well balanced "trainer" and stable flyer that it barely resembled itself by the time I retired it. That was the Skyward 60 ARF. At end of it's life it was a tail dragger, with bolted shoulder wing, a fuselage that had been stretched by 3" longer, and a much thicker wing saddle with no side windows.

5) Seagull Edge 540(v1) 60. A pretty plane. Well build overall. Sturdy. It flew but was a slug dog. The main fault was it would tip stall and snap on any G pull that some momentum behind it. Slow it down and it flew like a dragged brick. Pick up speed to get on the wing and fly and it would snap out in a turn or bottom of a loop. Nice if flown as a trainer. Not so nice if you are wanting to fly an Edge as an Edge. It was a well executed design/built. I think it was just too heavy for the wing area as supplied. I liked the plane, I hated flying it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadTrip2011 001.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	876.0 KB
ID:	1134833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1560.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	789.6 KB
ID:	1134841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2888.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1134849   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5981.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	936.9 KB
ID:	1134865  

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 12-30-2016 at 10:43 PM.
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in