MAAC and the sport flyer - Page 15 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #141

Total Props: 57
Re: MAAC and the sport flyer

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post
That is true, who else would be able to
But to be fair the old boys complain about the young guys as much as the young guys do about the older fellas.
Its just the way it is. And it stands for any activity, not just RC flying clubs.
The easiest way to overcome all of it is simple

" HI, How are Ya " " Hows it going?"
Ed, Brad;

I think that the term "old boys club" no longer means age but mental attitude more than anything else. Yes, it used to be the older aged members, but I think that it should be changed to something like "fossilized attitude club".

The qeustion to ask the "old boys" or retirees at the club is "what was it like for the control liners and free-flighters when RC first came in?"
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #142
Applehoney
RCC Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 15

"what was it like for the control liners and free-flighters when RC first came in?"

Actually all three categories co-existed very well in those early days but as RC steadily proliferated then also came an increasing sense or display of condescension by a growing number of its participants
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #143
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

There will always be people with the requisite combination of money, drive, talent and time to be at the cutting edge of any hobby, sport or whatever. Unfortunately there is a tendency for those at the bleeding edge to forget their humble roots and come to the belief that everybody should be exactly where they are on the curve.

That's unfortunate because we need their perspective as well as we need to close ranks against those that would have us disappear. One internal group pitting itself against another internal group doesn't meet either objective.

I'm back in the hobby after a 45 year hiatus and from what I can recollect, besides where my teeth are, is that society in the 50's was different. Just after WWII a sense of teamwork permeated society but that gave way to the "me first" changes of the 60's and continued on from there. Whether that took us uphill or downhill, you can take your pick.

Modeling then was a joyous time, as it can be now. Social tensions just did not seem to play as great a part in everyday (fun) activities.
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #144
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9

Hi John M,

Nice words. I hope everyone can/would understand them.

Quote: "Modeling then was a joyous time, as it can be now."

That sums up my attitude, as a long time, die hard sport flyer, who is very humbly trying to be 'part' of Maac. Rather than just 'paying my dues' and just thinking of me and my projects...

My Maac membership is more about the great people I am fortunate to meet/know, and it teaches me Humility.( no kidding, from what I have learned, I am an Expert at Humility ! )

By it's very nature, Maac and flying model aircraft, is full of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and that is the Great part, but can also the hard part if conflicts arise...
We'll get over any problems and move on...

'Being' a Maac Sport flyer is what I like to do in my spare time.
I'm glad I am not the only one.
I enjoy it.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #145
geink
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Angry Re: MAAC and the sport flyer

Hi,
Will MAAC ins. cover you in other countries.
Are there other national model orginations (British, usa. ect) that you could join thatwould cover you in other countries.
about 25 years ago Bermuda flyers used AMA.
geink is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #146
747man
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ronald R

Total Props: 0

Yes MAAC insurance covers you world wide...check www.maac.ca and you will see the information posted right there on the home page
747man is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #147

Total Props: 57

Wrong topic delete
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in