Do you log your flights? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

View Poll Results: Do you log after you fly?
YES 12 25.00%
NO 27 56.25%
SOMETIMES 4 8.33%
I'll try or start on it someday 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
4wdmt
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joel D

Total Props: 8
Do you log your flights?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Is logging your flight a must? How many of you guys do it? The guy who introduce me to my old T-Rex 450 told me to keep a log to know many and how long I am flying and the kind of flying I did on that particular day.

For those who log their flights. What is a typical log sheet? Whats must be written there?

I never started logging, I guess that is a mistake in my part. Now, I don't know how many times I have flown my 450 and Quark and how many times I crashed, lol.

EDIT. added a small poll to gauge who do and doesn't. Since I don't... I voted NO.

Thank you for your time guys!

Last edited by 4wdmt; 01-13-2010 at 01:09 PM.
4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 11
Re: Do you log your flights?

Yes, and I have for more many years.

So far, since I started logging, I have logged 1626.4 hrs. of RC heli airtime and 270.7 hrs. of RC airplane time. Using an average of 10 minutes per flight, that is 9758 helicopter flights and 1624 airplane flights.

I also log the airtime of each heli and engine. I find it can be very revealing as to dependability and reliability of various components.

At my age, I will never get into the realm of Scott and Colin, but as long as I keep improving every year and achieving the goals I set out to accomplish every year, I will continue to enjoy this wonderful hobby/sport.

Unfortunately, 2009 was one of the years where I logged much lower flight time then most other years - only 36.5 hrs. (219 flights) of heli time and no airplane time.

Last edited by Phil Noel; 01-13-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Phil Noel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

It is not normally necessary. I don't log any flights on my planes or smaller helicopters.

That being said, I have a large electric cameraship. I have logged every flight for duration and charge amount since the first flight. Since last summer I have added a data logger to capture real time in-flight information.
Why Bother? With electric, you can tell a lot about the setup even with simple data like flight time/capacity. With the data logger I can see the performance of my Lipo's as they age.
Things like changing motors, gear ratio's, blades, weight all impact the flight performance. Basic logging puts numbers to the changes in performance.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Oilsands
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Anthony
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

The only real reason that I log my flights right now is to keep track of how many flights I put on in a year on a plane. It also give me the history of the planes I have and had. Since I compete in IMAC, I also log the props, mufflers/cans, engine, sound, rpm and performance that I got on a setup that I tried on each plane. I have only been flying for 4 years now and competed for 1 of those years.

MAAC#78933 IMAC#5720
PAU Edge 540 36%
JTec Extra 330 42%
C-arf Yak 55sp 2.8m
2 - Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 v2's (FBL)
Hobbico NexStar
and a few smaller stuff.
Oilsands is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
tskca
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ken Lee
Radio of choice:
JR 28X

Total Props: 4

Mental logging is as good as a written log for some of us :=)

And using the cumulative timer of the Tx gives an excellent approximation of total flight time.

Yes, logging , like blogging, is an important part of my regime for service maintenance.
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 4

I logged the first 150 or so flights. I recorded flight times, fuel used, receiver battery usage, what I was practising, as well as adjustments to the heli and radio. While I was learning, this helped me keep track of my progress and changes to the heli etc.

I've stopped logging now, and basically just keep track of the number of gallons I fly. I've purchased new RX batts for this year, and will do that every season. On my 450 electric, I just put a little dot on the battery every time I charge it.

I go over my heli's frequently, and check the bearings, linkages, servos, and nuts and bolts.

For me, this works fine.
MarkToo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
amscat
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Andy S
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 1

I log flights & weather conditions & any changes I make (e.g. type & content of fuel) and how those affected a/c performance.

O.M.F.C., MAAC 23235, WACO Brotherhood 155
amscat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6

In my case, there is a log for each model.

My log consists of dates, flight numbers, time - actual, not average, weather, plane performance, what was done during that flight along with a few notes. For instance, if the flight is with a student, that is noted, along with his performance and name. Prop changes or any mods to the airframe with results are noted. Everything is tracked. Crashes especially too. They need documented repairs.

Additionally, I keep a snag sheet. It's part of the log. Anything that's unusual or that needs attention is noted.

The snag sheet is reviewed prior to any additional flights for the aircraft and all items are tended to and checked off as completed once corrected. There are no further flights of that model until snags are rectified.

Attempting to keep all that in your mind is useless. It won't be there for long.

Loggin is the only way to know what's going on and how to make progress. It gives you a base line and a perfect memory.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amscat View Post
I log flights & weather conditions & any changes I make (e.g. type & content of fuel) and how those affected a/c performance.
My logging history is pretty much the same as the above post. I have a seperate log for all of my battery packs as well as the flight log. Whenever I get a new pack I date it and record each time I charge, cycle and how many flights it has endured. To me the battery is the life of the plane so always being aware of the battery condition is even more important to me than my flight log in that respect!

My first year of flying I recorded every flight in detail on my Telemaster 40 and other planes. Engines used, fuel consumed, battery maintenance, parts change, mishaps etc. I logged over 460 flights on the Tele and engine, a Saito 50, before finally selling it to support a new plane.

I go back all those 20 years ago and thouroughly enjoy being reminded of some of the silly mishaps I had in those days.

I am about to embark on a new flying experience. I have 2 RTF Blade 400 3D's ready to be destroyed...lol. It will also be my first endevors into the world of electric flight using Lipo battery packs instead of slime fuel! I plan on recording each and every flight...time, conditions, parts needed, battery maintenance, and anything else that may seem pertenant.

Technically, I don't know how important a log will be, but it is fun to go back and review one's previous activity. So it will mostly be a nestalga thing for me!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 01-13-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

DO335: Quote: "Attempting to keep all that in your mind is useless. It won't be there for long."

Hey Matthew, that quote reminded me of a time many years ago when I was summoned to appear in court as a Crown witness for an accident I had observed.

One case that came up before I was to testify, a fellow was charged with failing to appear in court to face charges. The judge asked him why he didn't show up! The guy answered that he had simply forgot! The judge fined him $100 and told him that amount of money would have bought him a lot of pencils and paper.

Then the judge added: "I hope this will instill in you the fact that a short pencil is by far superior to even a long memory!"

I never forgot that and I have always thought that to be excellent advice!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in