It finally happened - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 03-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26
Re: It finally happened

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I use a crock pot ceramic bowl insert with pyrex glass lid. Lid is naturally ajar because of the battery wires and flames will not escape the bowl.

That's what I use. Works well and gives me piece of mind.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
I wonder about the wisdom of charging batteries in bags and small boxes. How is the heat supposed to dissipate?
Mervin, I don't believe heat dissipation during charging should be a concern. The containers protect from the extreme and, normally, short lived "flash" flame that can accompany a catastrophic LiPo failure. I always charge my batts at 1C regardless of their "C" rating; everything from two cell 260s to six cell 5 Amp LiPos. At 1C my batts never get warm, so even charging in a LiPo sack isn't a problem. If the batts are getting barely warm, its probably a factor of quality, age and/or batt health and should be considered normal. If they are getting warm enough to cause concern, then either the charge rate is too high or they are faulty. Thankfully, in the nine or ten years that I've been using LiPo batts, I've never had a failure. LiPos are a wonderful, relatively safe power source for our hobby, but treat them well and apply a little common sense in their use and maintenance.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #12
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I use a crock pot ceramic bowl insert with pyrex glass lid. Lid is naturally ajar because of the battery wires and flames will not escape the bowl.

Bill
That's what I use. Works well and gives me piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
I wonder about the wisdom of charging batteries in bags and small boxes. How is the heat supposed to dissipate?
Mervin, I don't believe heat dissipation during charging should be a concern. The containers protect from the extreme and, normally, short lived "flash" flame that can accompany a catastrophic LiPo failure. I always charge my batts at 1C regardless of their "C" rating; everything from two cell 260s to six cell 5 Amp LiPos. At 1C my batts never get warm, so even charging in a LiPo sack isn't a problem. If the batts are getting barely warm, its probably a factor of quality, age and/or batt health and should be considered normal. If they are getting warm enough to cause concern, then either the charge rate is too high or they are faulty. Thankfully, in the nine or ten years that I've been using LiPo batts, I've never had a failure. LiPos are a wonderful, relatively safe power source for our hobby, but treat them well and apply a little common sense in their use and maintenance.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

I have never had a lipo even get slightly warm on charge either but I tend to charge very conservatively.
I have had few come out of a plane warm but last thing I would ever do put it in an enclosed container to cook. I want it to cool and the sooner the better.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #14
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatcrazy View Post
On that note I have a question.
I bought a Great Planes Brand Electrifly 3S 900mah lipo last summer from LHS.
I used it about 6 times in a couple of electric gliders end of last year and did notice that it was a little warm by time time I brought the glider down (wasn't over discharging the battery) did not think too much of it at the time.
So a few days ago I was charging up same battery from storage and I could feel a bit of heat from top of the lipo charge bag when I place my hand over it.
At this point the battery was at 85% charge so took the battery out of the bag and off the charger and placed it in one of my 12Ga steel storage boxes and it stayed warm for some time
One cell is a bit low compared to the others but not enough to be an issue I thought.
Could this battery a potential fire hazard and should I get ride of it?
Some good suggestions on what to look out for on this lipo. If charging at 1C and if you feel the battery was warm or felt a bit of heat is hard to judge. This is where an IR thermometer can be very useful to tell the exact temp. What one says is hotter than normal one may say is normal. I keep one handy just for this purpose. You can find then around $25-35 on sale at times. Bought mine at Princess Auto and have seen them at Canadian Tire also.
Max temp at high charge or discharge use is 140F degrees.

About damaged Lipos ; saw one last summer from an accident with the corner torn and no smoulder ... go figure on that one.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in