My new GP.40 P-51.........demise...... - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #21
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Re: My new GP.40 P-51.........demise......

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Had a glitch last evening on the last turn on final, wings rocked hard the wrong way when I was slowed right down! Recovered fine, problem appears to be a bad connection between the gray matter & the thumbs!

Seriously though, I'm feeling a bit smug out here in no man's land, still using 72mhz stuff including a glider on AM! No problems at all! Russ has had a few brown outs with 2.4 G to deal with though.

No rush to change up for me, I will just use the good old dependable stuff until you guys get all the bugs worked out!

Thanks for your efforts!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

my brownouts were directly related to using an ESC that doesn't supply enough power to the servo's. The solution in that case is very simple, and very reliable - Castle 7a (10a peak) BEC. Easy choice, an extra $25 for a safe plane.

How many times do we blame radios due to the (in)actions of our fingers?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #23
Xanadu
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
JR, DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

Thanks to all, I needed to vent and you all accommodated me with grace. This was my first major pride and joy RC, and totally bummed me when it went down.

When I came home from the field with my bags of leftovers, I left it all on the bench for later time. Looked things over yesterday, and it can be salvaged, but will take some hours to do and few bucks. Won't be quick as some parts are out of stock unless I pay major bucks for EFlite product and such.

Will do a thread on the rebuild if anyone is interested.

Should consider to rename it ads Sweet Thing 2, of maybe even Phoenix?

Thoughts?
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #24
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11

Not really sure why you insist in using EFlite products? With their high prices so the middleman can get a cut and a lot of their stuff is not really top notch.
A fellow had a new electric foamie at the field the other weekend (higher end plane) and we
had to yank out the servos and start replacing them with cheap hong kong servos for example. I could never afford the price of their motors...and get better results with chinese
products at half the cost.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #25
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

I totally understand that feeling, it's always good to put things aside for a few days and take a second look. I like the idea of a re-build thread. I'm sort of in the same boat with my Senior. Good luck with Sweet Thing II

PS. my mentor told me I should never make my 1st few planes "too pretty". Now I know what he means.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #26
Xanadu
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR, DX7

Miscommunication on what I meant, sorry. I currently use power systems from HK, but with what I need they are all out stock. So failing that along with the postal strike I may have to resort to buying from the LHS on name brand product.
That was what I trying to say.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
Xanadu
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR, DX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
PS. my mentor told me I should never make my 1st few planes "too pretty". Now I know what he means.
This was my 7th build, so this one was the prettiest. Each one I have gotten better with, and more detailed.
Live and learn, but it seems the old ugly ones always seem to fly better and survive whatever comes at them.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Tree View Post
Where did you hide the 72 mHz antenna on the Beaver Dean?
It exits right under the radio compartment on the fuse and is routed through little tube pieces down the bottom of the fuse to the tail. Nicely out of sight.

I use FM 72 mhz PCM. I had some issues with PPM, but may have been just dated receivers...no problems what-so-ever with PCM, very reliable.
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #29
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

I'm still hard core 72MHz. IMO they had close to 40 years of development behind them and with good gear you are assured of years of reliable service. Even though I have worked with and trained others on different gear, personally I have stayed with Futaba. This is not to say one make is better than the others, but that I have learned to trust their systems. One of the advantages is you get to know their programming layout and where to find the different options. I currently run a pair of 8UHPS transmitters with CAMPAC modules, each set covers either my nitro and electric fleets. At their release, (yegads! almost 10 years ago now) they were top of the line and loaded with features. If I have any regrets compared to the newer models is the instant mode selection and the ability to control servo sweep speeds, (useful for flaps or mixing functions).

Years ago I went with the PCM for the failsafe feature, something that was useful in case of signal failure or channel saturation. At the time the local hobby shops were selling any type of radio to anyone for any reason, and with a pond nearby you could see the risks. Anyway, my only complaint was Futabas long receiver relock time and what seems to be a power hungry transmitter when in this mode. Curing the Tx battery simply took replacing the stock 600MAh pack with one of 2500MAh for both units.

The time lag with the legacy receiver failsafe cost me a couple of craft and I went looking for other options. My first catch was BERG, which on their 7P is fully programmable with the same PC link as the one I used for my speed controls. Since they run PPM the relock is considerably faster and I can attest to saving a plane near the end of last year when I pulled a Homer. Along with the full programming their receivers are considerably smaller and lighter and also have internal base loading, which means you can shorten the antenna for indoors or park flyer range if necessary, (eg. cutting the antenna to 1/2 length reduces reception range to 1/2).

p.s. Now that more have gone over to the 2.4 "Dark Side" I am left with less risk at events, (if they are liberal enough to still allow 72MHz).
Old 06-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #30
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
my brownouts were directly related to using an ESC that doesn't supply enough power to the servo's. The solution in that case is very simple, and very reliable - Castle 7a (10a peak) BEC. Easy choice, an extra $25 for a safe plane.

How many times do we blame radios due to the (in)actions of our fingers?
Exactly what I was saying Russ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in