Lipo charging help please??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
imported_BBFBCAP
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Lipo charging help please???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am considering buying a good LiPo charger off someone, but as is usually the case with the 'pro' chargers, it requires a power source and is only DC with alligator clips!

Question is...

Can I use an automotive 'booster pack' as a power source??? Was even thinking about keeping the booster pack on charge for the race day (it goes to trickle when charged) and simply have the charger plugged onto it.

Sounds like a simple solution to a power supply to me, but good idea, or bad???

Thanks guys!
imported_BBFBCAP is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Crash Monkey
RCC Apprentice

Good question. I too have wondered about this.

I was thinking of plugging a charger into something like this:

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/produ...264583w345.jpg

and that into a power pack like this

http://a116.g.akamai.net/7/116/8068/...9830672693.jpg

The power pack would also do double duty as it also has a compressor which would be good to blow dirt off the car.
Crash Monkey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
mpetre
"F" Main

re

The booster would probably work to charge 2-3 packs from dead. It would definitely work for just peaking batteries at the track. The Onyx 230 is a lipo and nimh charger with backlit screen for around $100. It is also ac/dc charge.

We have some coming in today if your interested.

905-545-1110
Byron Fuels
Skycraft Hobbies
2005 + 2007 Sammy's S.S. 1/8 buggy champ
2007& 08 GLORCS MT Champion
2008 Southern Ontario indoor MT Champion
2009 Canadian Winter nats 3rd 1/8 Pro Buggy
mpetre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
imported_BBFBCAP
RCC Supreme Contributor

Thanks Martin! I will definitely consider that, and would simply need a blinky for balancing!

Lot less to cart around to the track with me too!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Crash Monkey
RCC Apprentice

That charger only charges 1 - 3 Lipo. Might be good for 1/10 but if you ever want to go to 1/8 using lipos then you're going to need a better charger. Better off spending a bit more right from the start and get one that could handle a number of different tasks.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
imported_BBFBCAP
RCC Supreme Contributor

This is ALL really good advise guys. Thanks!

Waiting a little longer to figure out which way I'm gonna' go with this issue!!!

I liked the this INTO this thread. Priceless man. I laughed but it's an amaaaazing idea. Charge AND blow the dust out of the buggy after the race. GREAT thinking there my man! I'm with ya' 100%!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Crash Monkey
RCC Apprentice

BBFBCAP, I too have been looking around for a charger and what I've concluded is a good buy is either the Thunder Power 1010C charger.http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/cba-chargers.html
or the iCharger 1010B from hobbycity.http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...alance/Charger

I think I might go with the iCharge eventually as this charger allows you to charge and balance two packs at a time up to a maximum of 10 lipos total.

I'm just getting back into the hobby after years of being away so I've been doing alot of reading about all this new lipo stuff. My ultimate goal is to get into 1/8 electric so my power requirements might be a bit different than yours so I'm not sure if these chargers will work for you. The advice I was given by guys currently playing with all of this new lipo stuff is not to stinge and get a good charger right from the start. It'll make the job alot easier.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
SublimeJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFBCAP View Post
I am considering buying a good LiPo charger off someone, but as is usually the case with the 'pro' chargers, it requires a power source and is only DC with alligator clips!

Question is...

Can I use an automotive 'booster pack' as a power source??? Was even thinking about keeping the booster pack on charge for the race day (it goes to trickle when charged) and simply have the charger plugged onto it.

Sounds like a simple solution to a power supply to me, but good idea, or bad???

Thanks guys!
I been threw a few of them my first few Years in the hobby.....(They seem to only last less than a year when using them a Lot...They just run off of a 12v motorbike Battery)

Then I used Computer PS (Got about a year on them...Maybe a little longer)

So I said F-it and spent a few Bucks and got a Proper Power Supply,

I found this place after I bought mine, (but they have some good deals on Power Supply's)
http://www.etronics.com/showcategory...entoryFilter=1
SublimeJason is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
imported_BBFBCAP
RCC Supreme Contributor

Thanks a million guys!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
jbrow1
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jeff B
Radio of choice:
DX3S
# of RCs: 12

A nice power supply is the way to go for home use and a track with available electric. But for outdoor where no elec is available I love a nice deep cycle car batt. I believe mine is an optima and I've used the same one for 6 years. For nitro three guys can run off it all day, we just unplug the charger when not in use. For electric racing it will only run two guys b/c of much more charging duties in elec. Beats the heck out of toting around a generator, no noise and little space.
jbrow1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in