Giant Scale Harvard - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 01:00 PM   #11
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ron,
Andrew Coholic here from Kirkland Lake! Welcome to RC Canada - make sure to tell the rest of the Golden Hawks to join in!

The Saito 300 is supposed to swing a 20-8 or 20-10 prop, at a similar RPM to a 50cc gasser I think, according to the literature. Not as much "go" as a 60cc class (zenoah G62, ZDZ60, etc) but maybe someone else has tried this combo?

If that fails, just take the G62 out of Tremblay's GRT-2 - he wouldnt notice would he?

Andrew
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:15 PM   #12
Ron Roy

Total Props: 0
UH!!!! He might just notice the engine missing. He is presently starting a Sopwith pup, and is going to use his 75cc twin in it. Nothing but the big ones.

Our fun fly this year is booked for June 28, rain date of June 29. for your info, and I will send a note to all the hawks about this RC canada.

But, do you think the Saito 300 has sufficient power? Or am I looking for trouble?
Ron Roy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:47 PM   #13
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Welcome Ron.....please do pass the word to the Hawks.There is lots of help avail here,and more than a few participants from our zone.
Hate to be negative on the Harvard,but I also think you may be a little shy on power with your planned unit.Another problem may be the short nose moment on the Harvard,which tends to make the location of the CG critical especially since your glow engine is quite light compared to the 60cc+ gasser Ziroli reccomends.You might give Nick Sr. a call and get the definitive opinion on your engine needs for the design.I called him once with a question and he was most pleasant and helpful.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-18-2003, 04:08 PM   #14
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Ron,
I'll be there with my buddy Don for sure! Its on my list of fun fly's to hit this summer.

The saito 450 radial (3 cylinder) would probably be the superb powerplant for the HArvard, since it puts out the power of a G62 and would still give that scale sound. A bit "pricey" however, unless you can find one used...

I second Kevin's idea to call Ziroli - I had a few questions for the F9F Panther I will start building this year, and they were very nice to talk to.

Andrew

Old 01-21-2003, 07:04 PM   #15
Ron Roy

I just sent two questions to Ziroli. The first one was the use of the Saito 300 or the Saito 450. The second question might best be answered by someone with the experience.

I purchased the Robarts 161 retracts for the Harvard. The plans show a length of 7 and 11/16 inches, the actual set received measured 8 1/16. That 3/8 inch difference means that even the 5 inch wheel is too tight a fit. Anybody else out there with the same problem?
Old 01-21-2003, 07:43 PM   #16
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
If you dont get an answer here,put your question on the Qand A spot on the Ziroli website
www.ziroliplans.com
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:00 AM   #17
Ron Roy

I have always known that, as a whole, the people in the RC aircraft hobby are by far, the nicest people in the world. I look in the mirror, and I am totally convinced.. Seriously though, I appreciate having access to this forum. Why should we all have to learn the same lessons the hard way.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:48 PM   #18
Ron Roy

Nick Ziroli says that the Saito 300 would not be enough power. The G62 has 4.7 HP at 7500 RPM, the Saito 300 has 4.7 HP at 8000 RPM. I think perhaps the torque makes the difference. A good modeller friend of mine strongly recommends the 300 for the proper scale flying. Anything bigger will make it fly like a fighter aircraft, which the Harvard isn't.

Nick Ziroli said the Saito 450 (3 cylinder) would be Ok because a friend of his tried it in his Corsair, and it flew very well. Agaian, the Corsair is a fighter. Do I go for all scale and use the 300, or go for broke (litterely) with the450?

Any more inputs out there??
Old 02-02-2003, 05:10 PM   #19
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Ron, in any plane I would allways err on the side of too much power rather than not enough. Just because the engine may have more than needed for scale flying, the time when you need that extra "oomph" to get out of a bad landing approach, over the tree line, etc (and you punch the throttle and see the plane climb away, rather than continue downwards ) you will appreciate it!

That being said, its your $$ but if money wasnt the deciding factor I'd go for the 3 cyl. 450, not to mention that engine would be SO increadibly cool, sight sound and smoothness. I have a review in a past issue of IMAA mag Hight flight if you want to read it.

Andrew

Old 02-02-2003, 09:06 PM   #20
Ron Roy

I would appreciate a copy of that review, Andrew. I just came back from our monthly meeting. We will be sending in our sanction form for our fun fly scheduled for June 28. Kevin McGrath said he would try hard to attend it.

Do you have my e-mail? (ronljroy@hotmail.com). With respect to the 450 vs the 300, the 450 will give me as much scale effect, but with power to spare. It's easier to throttle down for proper scale flying, than trying to throttle up with not enough power to get out of that pinch. With respect to the cost, this is my once in a lifetime project, so hope I don't have to repeat the costs again. Time will tell!!!!

Thanks for your input, always appreciated!!

Ron
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in