FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
RC assistance software

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Has useful RC software been discussed anywhere here yet?

I am excluding design software from this inquiry.

In particular I am very interested in seeing what others are using for spreadsheets and databases either on the PC or on PDAs for flight log records, battery cycle data, engine data, etc.

Just point me in that direction. OR maybe this is a start of a new and very interesting thread?

I have started an xcell sheet up for my batteries (I have enough now to warrant it) and use it with Docs to go on the PDA in the workshop. Before I get too far and go re-inventing other sheets and databases .... what's already out there?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
There have been a couple of flight logging programs posted for free download here on RCCanada. One was just posted a week or two ago. Not sure where I saw it here, off hand, but I will see if I can find it and give you the link to it. Its pretty comprehensive and looks to be laid out in a sort of spread sheet fashion.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:20 AM   #3
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

There is a "flight log" under "RCC Home". I've toyed with it a bit. Looks pretty good on the surface. Maybe I have to put more effort into it to see what it can do.

An improvement is it would be nice if I could enter all my battery packs seperate from the transmitters and planes. Reason is I switch my packs around as needed. They are not all always charged up and ready to go.

I get the impression the RCCanada system will do that as it gives me the "please register a battery pack". But I have yet to figure out how to register the packs.

I also cannot seem to enter any flight information right now. The online program seems to be messed up.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:12 AM   #4
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Hey,

Just did a little searching the web. I have downloaded this program and had a look at it. WOW. Just about everything is there. I will have to play with it some more before I decide whether to start punching all of my info into it or not.

Have a look and let me/us know what you think. The program is at this link:

http://www.lammers.ca/FlightLog/
Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
aubej
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason A.

Total Props: 5
The flight logging software on here works well...right now, there is a small bug in it. I know where it is, just need to go fix it, so it may not work properly right now.

Jason
aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
Every time I cycle a battery I stick a little tab on the lead with the date and the discharge time.

Is that too simple for 2005??

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Ed Smith wrote:"Is that too simple for 2005?? "

Ed, I know your comment was meant to be facesious but you also know that you hit the nail right on the head!

My son is a computer programmer and has written a couple of excellent utility programs for me for various applications. ( I collect coins & stamps as well ) I was just talking to him yesterday and told him I want a program to track various RC applications to keep track of things like batteries, engines, Tx & Rx, airframes, servos, flight times etc etc. Although the various programs that I've seen do a very good job, I find that they are just too complicated and require a lot of input and I just do not really like the layout of the displayed data viewed or printed.

I have been going over the data that I want recorded and what it will look like when displayed or printed and as per your comment, I want it powerful yet kept SIMPLE as the average RC pilot just will not want to take the time to have to fill in dozens of lines to keep track of just the important info they want. How many pilots do you know that actually know anything about the history of their battery packs for example? Or how many flights they have on a particular engine or airframe, and what maintenance has been done on that engine over the time they have owned and used it? Servo application and maintenance is also something that should be considered in this type of program and how many know how old and how much usage a particular servo has given them?

Excellent info to have on hand for all pilots but especially if a pilot is serious about competition, these things are important/necessary to keep track of! So I want a program that the average pilot will find very user friendly and looks good when displayed/printed out for the records. In other words I want a SIMPLE program that will actually be fun and easy to use. I personally don't think that one needs to track every nut and bolt but the major components do need tracking. I'm sure that folks like you and Chad, who are serious about competition, know your equipment inside and out and are ready to make necessary changes and maintenance for the next big competition!!

Even a simple program like this requires hundreds, if not thousands, of lines of code, so it will take a bit of time before we have this program ready for use. Writing a program is only part of the development. It will need to be thouroughly tested, changes will have to be made, and bugs will have to be fixed.

IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING!

My son will write the program based on mine and others input. Alpha testing will have to be done. If anyone here on RCCanada has any ideas that they would like to see in a program of this nature, PLEASE forward your ideas to me to have incorporated in the program! ALSO if anyone is seriously interested in beta testing of the program, I will provide you with a copy of the program to use and track down any bugs that will be present. The changes and fixes will be made baised on your findings and we'll end up with a great program that is powerful yet SIMPLE, FUN, and EASY to use and all who are interested will receive a copy for your own use once it is complete! Also we'll put all the names of those who helped develop this program in the list of credits.

I think this will be a fun project to do and it will be unique in that It will be a program developed by RCCanada members for our use!

Just one more important note: I am NOT doing this for profit in any way! It is something I have been thinking about for a long time and I think it would benefit anyone who wants/needs a good program like this. Anyway... right now it is just in the idea stage and we have started putting some of the components together. My son is very skilled at building programs in modular form. I would like to have this program done in blocks in that each component will be a sort of stand alone program in itself. If all you need is something to track batteries, then this will work for that application alone etc and each block or module will be interactive with each other block or module. Like I said its just mostly in the ideas stage right now so if you care to provide ANY input, it would be gladly accepted and seriously considered.

PM me here or send an e-mail to: charles.maker@sympatico.ca

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Old 04-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #8

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith
Every time I cycle a battery I stick a little tab on the lead with the date and the discharge time.

Is that too simple for 2005??

Ed S
Like you Ed the battery when new gets a length of masking tape on it. Every time I deep cycle the battery the date and info gets logged. There us enough room on the tape for several cycling and then I just replace the tape.

This way I do not loose the info no matter what happens to the computer or note book the info is right on the battery.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

If I had a computer in my workshop, I probably would have written something by now.

Since I don't, I use a simple book log.

I track by pack type and purchase date (also taped to the pack). I note which aircraft, tx etc. the pack is currently in at the time I move it.

I record battey cycles only, not # of flights ... I just don't have the time or desire to keep up with anything so detailed.

I do consult the log to determine:
a) is the pack trending downward (candidate for replacement)
b) has the pack been tested recently (candidate for testing).
c) is the pack old (I replace any pack with over 5 years of service)

Of course all packs get tested if they haven;t been flown for an extended period of time (like a winter).

Hope this helps....
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:20 PM   #10
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

One of the things I like and will incorporate into the program as an example: When a battery pack reaches a certain number of charges, the program will automatically flag the user that its time to do a cycle. When the age of the pack raches your time stamp, it will flag you to replace it etc etc.

Written records are great and do what you need it to. I just feel that since your writting it anyway, why not enter it into the program which will then allow you to: sort, search, edit, delete, update and flag any area that you request! Rather than having to enter a whole new line in your written record, a couple of keypresses and its done for you and reflected in the whole program. Of course the program will also allow a detailed written printout if you desire to keep a hardcopy of the data anyway.

I guess its just me as I like computers and with my son able to write programs for me, it just adds a whole new demension to doing something like this.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in