FUEL CANS??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
FUEL CANS???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a Dave Brown Metal fuel can. Is it a good thing to transfer my fuel from the plastic jug to the metal can. I don't see anyone else with one at all. I know sun light will kill fuel so will this keep my fuel from breaking down.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12
Hi Aceplant00

I wish too add my 2 cents worth , because I myself want the right answer .
I cann t remember when or where I got this info but here I go .
There was a test made with canned fuel and bottled fuel left out in the sun , the fuel was sealed to stop evaperation . I believe it was left out for several months . The coluration was differnt and it didn t brake down , the performance was the same This test was done with several brands With what I have said , how can you loose something that cann t escope . Dosn t it still have to be their, if the vaper cann t escape ( nitro gas ) than don t we end up with same thing I kind of believe this . But I am no chemist . I hope someone will set us straight I also believe that leaveing youre can of feul out in the open is the worst thig that a person can do .
I even seen empty cans of fuel for sale at the hobby shop .

So what is true?

Can any body set us straight for the record , it would be nice to know

Mike

Michel Gravelle
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
I have heard of cases where a 12 volt battery tipped over against the side of a metal glow fuel container. Big fireball erupted.

I think I read it in a mag or MAAC mag, but it was years ago. I would just use the plastic jug, and keep it indoor when your storing it.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
Couple of years ago there was a (reported?) trend in the U.S. that they were going to go the metal can route exclusively (ie phase out plastic) due to fire concerns.

I don't know that anything ever happened regarding that but it was not an issue in Canada and plastic is the norm here.

IMHO, stick with plastic and don't worry about it.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6
Back in the "Bad Old Days", the only way fuel was supplied was the metal cans. Now it's plastic.

Plastic is easier and less costly to manufacture.

However, believe it or not, it was claimed during my previous life in the professional photography racket, that the plastic is actually porous to gases. And the claim was that chemicals in plastic bottles would thus oxidize, even while stored in darkness and all that.

The purists used amber glass bottles. They could not be anything other than amber because the claim was that the chemical composition of the clear and other coloured glasses was different from the amber and that's what screwed up the chemicals - not sunlight.

Another thing to consider is that plastic leaches chemical compounds into the stuff in the bottle, especially when hot. So don't cook your fuel in the microwave oven!

From my personal experience, this year I started off my OS 1.08 with my "vintage" fuel supply - some 3 year old stuff stored who knows how, given to me by a friend. He was about to throw it out. I said my mill would burn it fine. Recently I've used it up and moved to the good stuff - only 2 years old. And with any luck, next week I'll get into the REALLY GOOD stuff - only one year old!

It sometimes makes a difference what engine you are running that old stuff in. Fortunately, my old OS burns just about any slop I can find. And it does so reliably - 1 to 2 flip starts and no deadsticks, good transition, idle and top end. But in an 049? Forget it.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

This is also what I have learnt , and I m going back 20 yrs .
Thanks for youre info , I hope other members add to this thread . The most important thing is that it is sealed , would you not agry .

Thanks for the info

Mike
Old 06-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6
Yes, for certain.

Be absolutely sure that you have sealed the stuff up better than you can imagine. Maybe even double seal the lid if it's been opened. And don't open any more than necessary. Every time you let in fresh air, you get more moisture and oxygen.

My old rule was once out of the container, never back in. I used a small jug for the day's flying. If I needed more, it came out of the main jug. Never went back in. These days I'm getting a bit lazy though so that rule gets broken.

But everything gets properly sealed or if new is checked to be well sealed and then stashed in a cool, dry place until opened or used the next time out.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:27 AM   #8
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

Well Said Sir (DO335)

The info that you have writen is straightup .
I ve have learnt the same thing , but I keep being told different .
Gas is gas , its the conditions that make it look different . It s like a frige , there is no such thing as a frige makeing cold , it removes the heat , but don, t tell anyone this , they ll think youre nuts

Mike
Old 06-03-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0
Okay, so now where do I get a proper fuel can/bottle?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #10
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hi Noin
I use a old 2 strock oil rsevoir from a Bombardia snowmoble a skandic to be exact , It s thick , holds 2 liters of gas , large openning with a tight cap .
It has been modified to fit at the end of my flight box .

Winshield wash bottles from cars are good , but not as thick .
There are many solid containers that could be used , just look around you . I m sure you will find something .

I don t believe in the metal cans , gas and metal don t go together .

Have a nice day .

Mike
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in