4M Ventus Discus - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
sorkai
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Kai S

Total Props: 1
4M Ventus Discus

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just acquired a semi scale 4M Ventus for small money,and starting to check it out ,it soon became obvious that you only get what you pay for-on the surface it looks pretty good but going under the skin you soon find some pretty sloppy and weak construction- I believe it was original sold by Raidentech in the US but of Chineese origen- Just wondering if any one out there has any experience with this Model? so we could exchange some ideas- the plane is set up for aerotowing but i'm going to convert it to electric and beef it up, as it is now needs a couple of pounds up front to balance so there should be lots of room for electric gear- Will keep you posted with my big winter project!
MAAC #71653

Last edited by sorkai; 10-24-2014 at 10:09 AM.
sorkai is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
FD av8r
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 9
Re: 4M Ventus Discus

If you google the glider, there used to be some very lengthy threads covering lots of folks doing e-conversions etc on this plane. For sure many had good/bad and ugly experiences with them. I felt that it looks awesome, but was worried that what was hidden underneath might not stand up to frequent use.

I hope you can make a go of it, and please post as you do

Daryll
Old 10-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
sorkai
RCC Senior Contributor

First step done-After looking inside at the wing tube area I did not like what I saw , a thin frayed .fibreglass tube where the wingrod constantly got stuck in- the wingrod is a 1/4 inch carbon rod filled with a hardwood dowel, after looking for some other material for the tube I found thick wall aluminum tubing with the exact inside diameter at Cdn. Tire--- The holes in ribs now had to be enlarged and i did that with taking a piece of the tubing ground some teeth in the end and attached it to my drill, that gave me a perfect fit- now the new tubing in with lots of WestSystem resin and 405 adhesive filler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01313.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	457529   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01321.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	457537   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01320.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	457545  
MAAC #71653

Old 10-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Charlesd
RCC Contributor

I am: Charles D
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 15

Hi Sorkai,

Where did you get the Ventus? I keep seeing this ebay auction but I doubt it's the same one. The one on ebay is manufactured by XY and sold by RCJetsWorld.

http://rcjetsworld.com/index.php/products/glider
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn5087.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	458489  
Charlesd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
sorkai
RCC Senior Contributor

I got this from a club member- he had had it it for years without doing anything with it- but i'm pretty sure it came from Raidentech- Here is a link to RC Universe where i found a lot of info: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-g...us-glider.html
MAAC #71653
Old 11-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
sorkai
RCC Senior Contributor

Making progress!

Looked at the hinge for the flying stab and found a lot of play, was unable to remove the hinge so I added some shims that fixed it- Inside of the cockpit had to be ground out to make make room for Batteries etc. next came the dreaded job of cutting of the nose, made up a jig with a hole same size as the spinner, i have always fought that job with other projects, this way i could get the right alignment and with the backplate for the Hyperion 3025 motor i'm using it was easy to align the motor with a bit of down trust. Then I reinforced the inside of the fuse with more layers of fiberglas and West System resin all the time keeping an eye on the weight- I then painted the inside of the canopy and added some glass because it was kind of flimsy and i could use more weight-The plane would have needed at least two pounds up front the way it came- and I'm still short and will have to buy some heavier batteries, after done I figure total flying weight to be at little over 10 pounds, with the motor i'm using and a 10x8 prop and 3cell batt. i should get around 1200 Watts witch is more than i need. Now just some clean up and making some decals- i can't wait for S P R I N G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01317.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	474993   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01322.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	475001   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01331.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	475049   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01328.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	475057  

Name:	DSC01330.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	475065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01329.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	475073  
MAAC #71653
Old 11-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
kcaldwel
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin C.

Total Props: 6

Which Hyperion 3025 motor are you using? Only the -04, 1545kV, comes close to 1200W number on 3S with a 10x8" prop.

That motor and prop combo won't be very efficient at glider speeds (pitch speed is 171kph!). A lot of the power (240W) would go to heat and prop losses. The climb won't be very good. And the rpm (13,900) will be far past safe limits for a folding prop.

eCalc only shows a few hundred watts on the 3025-08 (867kV) with a 10x8", so I guess that isn't the motor you are using? It would be a better choice, with maybe a 14x9" prop. More thrust at a more reasonable speed for a glider, and lower rpm.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
sorkai
RCC Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel View Post
Which Hyperion 3025 motor are you using? Only the -04, 1545kV, comes close to 1200W number on 3S with a 10x8" prop.

That motor and prop combo won't be very efficient at glider speeds (pitch speed is 171kph!). A lot of the power (240W) would go to heat and prop losses. The climb won't be very good. And the rpm (13,900) will be far past safe limits for a folding prop.

eCalc only shows a few hundred watts on the 3025-08 (867kV) with a 10x8", so I guess that isn't the motor you are using? It would be a better choice, with maybe a 14x9" prop. More thrust at a more reasonable speed for a glider, and lower rpm.

Kevin
Hi Kevin- Thanks for your input- Yes I am using the -04 ( P.S. they don't make that model anymore)- have used it in another 3meter model with good success- but i do agree that a 14x9 would be a better choice, however according to Hyperions prop chart it would mean going to a 2 cell battery and 850 watts and I might take that route, only problem to get the weight I want, I will have to get a 10000mah and they do get pricy.
MAAC #71653
Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
kcaldwel
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin C.

Total Props: 6

Yeah, 2S would be a lot of amps!

I think Hyperion is getting out of motors entirely. If you like the 3025-04, they have some incredible prices on the remaining stock:

$21.48US

http://www.allerc.com/brushless-moto...-7_76_165.html

$48.20, cheaper shipping:

http://aircraft-world.com/shopdispla...que+outrunners

Aircraft World also has the 3032-08, 699kV, for $62US, or AlleRC has the 3032-04, 1252kV, for $17.87 (!) if you need nose weight anyway.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorkai View Post
Hi Kevin- Thanks for your input- Yes I am using the -04 ( P.S. they don't make that model anymore)- have used it in another 3meter model with good success- but i do agree that a 14x9 would be a better choice, however according to Hyperions prop chart it would mean going to a 2 cell battery and 850 watts and I might take that route, only problem to get the weight I want, I will have to get a 10000mah and they do get pricy.
Subscribed..... there's always been a big scale glider in my dreams.

10,000 mah lipos are pretty exotic; why not serial connect a couple of 5000 mah 2s lipos, of which there seems to be a fair amount of choice.
..... for example, the Hobbyking Turnighy hardcase 2s/6000mah/25C/371gram lipo is $25.75 (their 'one time offer' price that pops up after a minute of being on the item)....

good luck,
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in