Who governs model aviation in Canada - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
cf100
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Ken K.
Radio of choice:
JR & Graupner
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 251
Who governs model aviation in Canada

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The last thread MAAC / Transport Canada joint release https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=303170 helped to clear up most of the jurisdiction issues on model aviation and UAV's.
However in the latest maac mag, Jan 2015, in the FAI column page 41, it would appear that the MAAC FAI rep states that MAAC gets it's "governing" status through the Aero Club of Canada, via the FAI.

I don't think this to be true, whether MAAC does or does not belong to the Aero Club of Canada and the FAI does not affect our joint partnership with Transport Canada on model aviation nor has MAAC membership in the Aero Club of Canada or FAI been mentioned in any of the Transport Canada documents posted on model aviation - UAV operations.

What the FAI rep fails to mention, are the costs of Aero Club membership, costs of FAI membership, the cost of the annual MAAC delegate to Paris, who pays for this and who gets to go to Paris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	525.2 KB
ID:	523442  
cf100 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
notarectum

Total Props: 42
Re: Who governs model aviation in Canada

The only thing that may remotely make this relevant is that it gives credibility to TC that MAAC is one of the worldwide recognized organizations in sport aviation. We ( MAAC membership ) are competitive in the world of sport aviation, no need to confuse the issue any further.
itizme is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
MikeCam
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itizme View Post
The only thing that may remotely make this relevant is that it gives credibility to TC that MAAC is one of the worldwide recognized organizations in sport aviation. We ( MAAC membership ) are competitive in the world of sport aviation, no need to confuse the issue any further.
TC could care less about the FAI. No confusion at all!!!!
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

MAAC has no authority over model aviation. It is a private club which supports its members and does not represent the other 99% of RC flyers. MAAC offers insurance and the rules that guarantee nsurance to their participating clubs. They also do political advocacy for RC flying.

Transport Canada, the governemnt's Civil Air Regulations are the only real authority. period.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
MAAC has no authority over model aviation. It is a private club which supports its members and does not represent the other 99% of RC flyers. MAAC offers insurance and the rules that guarantee nsurance to their participating clubs. They also do political advocacy for RC flying.

Transport Canada, the governemnt's Civil Air Regulations are the only real authority. period.
Scott, very good explanation. Nice and clear, no grey interpretation.
-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Quote:

Exactly
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

Quote:

............ If you pull out the part about not representing 99% of R/C flyers, the rest is pretty much on the money.

You may not Like it, but those that currently manage and make those Civil Air Regs believe that MAAC does represent all responsible flyers. Sorry dude, but that's politics.

.....FAI is a non-issue in those representations related to our Civilian Airspace.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

they can assume that MAAc represents all RC flyers - I never said they did not. I said MAAC has no authority over RC flying, when outside a MAAC field, more or less.

And, I feel MAAC does represent me, as I am a MAAC member. And the MAAC leadership has a good reputation and track record. But I also think it would be a big step backwards and even dangerous erosion of freedom to give such a organization de facto regulatory authority over all RC.

99% bieng non MAAC is a guess. Might be more like 99.9% of folks with an RC aircraft flown once in a while are non MAAC. I hear the sales of just amateur multirotor drones are topping 200,000 per month worldwide, and add tens of millions of micro copters and park flyers to that out there sitting in folks' basements

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 01-11-2015 at 10:03 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

Quote:
they can assume that MAAc represents all RC flyers - I never said they did not. I said MAAC has no authority over RC flying, when outside a MAAC field, more or less.

And, I feel MAAC does represent me, as a MAAC member. And the MAAC leadership has a good reputation and track record. But I also feel MAAC membership has the potential to be insular and hostile to non members, plus have the ultimate authority over the leadership as is chosen by election. And you are probably right it is not 99% of RC flyer who are not members of MAAC, more like 99.99%, and mostly not very serious hobbyists. Heck I heard recent state of sales of amateur drones alone - 200,000 per month worldwide. The hardcore hobbyists like MAAC club members are a tiny rounding error in comparison to the number of people who have RC model aircraft of all types.
Not sure where you're hostility has it's roots and would not for a minute try and convince anyone that MAAC's model of governance is perfect. I also would expect your "drone" figures to get higher, which is precisely the reason "serious hobbyists" need MAAC at this juncture and why we need to separate ourselves from those who would be considered "less serious".

Personally, I don't consider those who would buy a "drone" simply for the purpose of being a camera platform aviation enthusiasts of any kind. They could care less about the wonder of flight, aviation history, the camaraderie or the respect it deserves. Those flyers will have more interest in their self-indulgence than responsibility and miss the high points of why we love this hobby............. which are all good reasons to separate ourselves from them.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 AM   #10
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Pretty much have to agree with the last statement.

Also a correction to Salt that MAAC is not a "private club" . It is a non profit organization that is open to anyone who wishes to join and who follows the whole program ( rules and bylaws to some) . Recommended but not required to join a rc club.

If it wasn't for the efforts of MAAC we wouldn't have the frequencies and freedoms we now enjoy .
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in