marco2236
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Marc A.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 6
Want to add Flaps?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello gentelmen and ladies.

I have an old CG cub that Im rebuilding. ( it was given to me)

I want to cut the Aileron down and make flaps. has anyone done this before and what % should be left aileron. I was thinking 60% aileron and 40% flap?

I am fabricating boxes to place the aileron servos laying down inside the wings..and running the flaps off the old aileron rods..

Anyone with info and picture can speak up..

Any input and help would be appreciated.

Thanx, Marc

MAAC #81823... Valley Model Aeronautics Club.
marco2236 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
ByronF
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ByronF
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8 and DX6

Total Props: 0
Re: Want to add Flaps?

Not sure why you would want to do this. Every Cub I have owned or seen has never needed flaps for take-off or landing. But a few have needed co-ordinated rudder and aileron for turns. So it would seem to me that you would be better off maintaining the aileron area, not reducing it.
ByronF
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

Hi Marc, I can't comment on a Cub, but I've got a Hanger 9 Ultra stick 40. It has optional flaps. The kit comes with the whole trailing edge as ailerons, or 50% flaps and 50% ailerons. I have never landed it with flaps yet, I'm still getting used to flying it higher up, at slow speeds, with the flaps at certain speeds.

It does use 4 servos on the wing, 50% flaps might not be scale for your plane. If your set on installing flaps, 60/40 might be good, or maybe even less flap. I know for my plane, it will make for fun landings. Good luck. Daren

Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
cf-drg
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 28

Adding flaps adds a whole new element to the airplane.. I have known guys that will never touch them. But I personally love them, all of my floatplanes have them.. Me and my dad did a Cub with flaps and we left the ailerons the stock size.. We just added the flaps with what was left on the inward part of the wing. But the flap was thicker than the aileron, ailerons were 1.5" X 14" and the flaps were 3" X 10" (was a 5' WS scratch built Cub)... This made for some "real" slow flight and some steep aproaches.. Also a loop with the flaps down, was like it was pivoting on a shaft.. I say add them, if you don't like them don't use them.. Simple as that...
Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0

If you are in experiment mode, install some pinned hinges every, say 2 inches. Then you can try some different variations between flaps and ailerons til you find one that works for you.

The only harder variation is to place the second servos in a location that would be over the flap area so a range needs to be defined.

Again just an idea for some fun experimentation

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

For even more fun, once you've completed the flaps and if your TX can't be programmed, buy yourself a servo rate reducer from Hyperion or Dionysus to slow down the rate at which the flaps drop and raise. I installed this on my E-Flight Beaver (on floats) and it's just too cool to watch the flaps cycle down for a full five seconds As was pointed out above, the Cub does not need flaps, but it's fun to play with them, none the less.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
marco2236
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midair View Post
For even more fun, once you've completed the flaps and if your TX can't be programmed, buy yourself a servo rate reducer from Hyperion or Dionysus to slow down the rate at which the flaps drop and raise. I installed this on my E-Flight Beaver (on floats) and it's just too cool to watch the flaps cycle down for a full five seconds As was pointed out above, the Cub does not need flaps, but it's fun to play with them, none the less.

Peter
I have an old (ancient, lol) Ace RC MicroPro8000 that has 8 channels..and one of the channels runs off a slider switch that can be gradualy moved down or up..or a 3 position toggle that can give half or full flaps..

Last edited by marco2236; 02-20-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Marc:

To close the loop on your question, in the January '09 issue of Sport RC Flyer, article "My Big Super Cub" (page 12), the author/builder's cub clearly shows the ailerons and flaps and by my rough calculation the flaps account for approximately 30% and the ailerons 70% of the full span flap/aileron control system.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Quote: It does use 4 servos on the wing, 50% flaps might not be scale for your plane.

No amount of flaps would be scale for a Cub because other than the Super Cub, Cubs just didn't have flaps!

Cubs are one of those planes that almost demand the use of rudder to get them to turn properly. IF you do reduce the amount of aileron at all, you must be prepaired to use rudder when making your turns. Otherwise you may find it extremely difficult to handle. As has been said, other than just wanting to experiment, personally I don't know why or what advantage you feel flaps is going to give you on a Cub. I love the way my 1/4 scale Cub flys and wouldn't mess with it! I just enjoy it for what it is.

IF you want a more aerobatic plane or different or better performance, then get a plane designed with flaps. One of the planes that I have enjoyed flying the most with flaps is a Telemaster 40. Flaps really makes that plane come alive and is so much fun to fly. Actually, I just aquired a set of plans and am going to build my 3rd Telemaster 40, yes, with flaps! I have three 1/4 scale sized planes, a 1/3 scale, and a few other large planes, but the most fun I can remember is with the little Tele 40. Can't wait to have another one!

Anyway, part of the fun with this hobby is trying different things. They don't always work out as good as expected, but thats what experimenting is all about. Personally, I wouldn't change the flight charactoristics of a perfect flying airplane, as is the Cub!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 02-24-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
marco2236
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9

Thanks for all the feedback, after reading all your comments I am no longer going to add flaps...but leave well enough alone..

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in