Crystal for Airtronics transmitter? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1
Crystal for Airtronics transmitter?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Does anyone know where I could find a Ch.#22 (72,230Mhz) crystal for an Airtronics/Sanwa/Cox Tx? It's a conventional looking crystal and would be marked 36,115Mhz, half the operating frequency. Thanks.
Have a nice Tx standing idle but for this crystal!
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
Re: Crystal for Airtronics transmitter?

check this out. I've swapped several crystals withh them and if you want you can buy new/used crystals from them.

http://www.radicalrc.com/rrcxtalexchange.html

George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Spitball

Thanks George, ja I've done quite a few exchanges with Dave Thacker, mostly Futaba and the odd J-R but thought I'd give RCC guys a chance first - it's for quite and old Airtronics/Sanwa/Cox AM transmitter and I have a couple of AM receivers on Ch.#22 so thought I'd put out a feeler.
I must check RadicalRC tonight.

Last edited by Spitball; 08-13-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Madman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen M

Is this an FM or AM transmitter? I don't know about the AMs but the FMs have a white tag on them.

Stephen
Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Madman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen M

The reason I am asking is I probably don't have a ch 22 Tx crystal but may have a few Rxs and a matching Tx crystal on another channel. I have some spare FM Tx crystals with matching FM dual conversion Rx crystals. I need to know how many Rxs you need as well as the original Tx frequency. If the original frequency is not close to 22 you will have to get the transmitter re-tuned to match the new frequency. I know of a guy in Dundas and Flightcraft in KW who can do this if you don't have anyone local. If the Rxs are dual conversion and the crystals are OK I would be willing to trade 1 for 1 on them. All are Airtronics brand.

Stephen
Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Spitball

Thanks Stephen - as I said this is an older AM transmitter and someone has whipped the crystal out at sometime. I have a couple of AM receivers I could use if I could get the Tx x-tal. It's not even really worth what it would cost to re-tune but I am familiar with Flitecraft. K-W is no too far from us here. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
NEW222
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 14

Hi there. Just reading your post, look also for a Futaba AM crystals. I am using an old Cox/Sanwa crystal in a Futaba Rx with no problems.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Spitball

g-manz35's post on the 12th made me realize I could swap any channel older Sanwa/Cox/Airtronics Transmitter crystal for a Ch.#22 at RadicalRC, as they say they have most channels so any suitable crystal would be welcome. They don't sell them outright though. I very much like my two Ch.#22 receivers.
Anybody out there got such an animal - dbmac ol' friend, did you find anything?
Thanks for reminding me George, and hi NEW222. Would the older Futaba Tx crystals work too?
Cheers and thanks for looking.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
NEW222
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 14

Never tried the older Tx crystal swapping. Only Rx. But me thinks that if the Rx works, why wouldn't the Tx?
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Spitball

Unfortunately, Tx and Rx x-tals generally differ. The Rx crystal generally comes up on the 3rd or 5th overtone at the local oscillator frequency, whereas Tx crystals oscillate at half the Tx output generally and the output stage doubles that to the final output frequency. This is particularly the case in FM Txs as a crystal at half the operating frequency better exhibits the 'pullability' needed for the frequency shift of the FMed output. I think most Tx crystals are marked and operate at half the frequency.
PS The overtones of a crystal are not exact multiples of the fundamental cut, whereas an harmonic is, and the Tx puts out at the second harmonic or double the crystal frequency - there I've certainly talked myself into a corner now!! Phew! Not all manufacturers follow the same techniques though.
Sorry; badly expressed there, but I know what I mean fortunately!!
I may have some luck at the Kitchener-Waterloo Scale bash next weekend, hi denmac!? CU-there.

Last edited by Spitball; 09-01-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in