You have 2 servo's running your split elevator. REVERSER? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 10:06 PM   #11
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Adam Woodhouse
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am building a Byron Originals Pitts Special (1/3 scale). It is identical to the Great Planes ARF. The difference is it isn't an ARF and is by a company that has gone belly-up (no ordering replacement parts).

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:06 PM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Thanks for the info on your plane Adam.

I do still believe that the standard digitals would be enough servo on the split elevators for this plane. You would be using a 76.4 in oz servo on each half of the elevator. The only exception I may have would be maybe with the rudder servo needing to be a higher torque. Just keep in mind that the Byron kit has been around for a very long while and was origionally designed to be used with servos that were available at the time, servos that we now call standard servos of around 43 in oz of torque.

But your the one who has to be comfortable with what equipment you will use on this plane

Please know that this was not meant to be any kind of a critisizm. My offer was only meant to help you out!

All the best with your project!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:55 AM   #13
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

All feedback and recommendations are welcome. That is why I am here!

I am putting a 1/4 scale 160 oz torque on the rudder. (I bought it a few years back).

I am buying new servos (probably @ Toledo) for the ailerons and elevator. For those I am looking at standard size, very high torque. I am looking at very high versus high because of my comfort level. I have a Quadro 50 for the kit and when I come straight down from high altitude @ full throttle and I then pull up (level out) at low altitude for as fast as possible low flyby of the field, I want no worries about the strength of the elevator. A few more bucks give me that comfort level. I just bought new high strength control horns (Du-Bro teflon). The ones that came with the kit were cheap, little 2-56 nylons. The kit also came with 2-56 rods that I scrapped for 4-40.

Like Tim the Tool Man ... more power!

Old 02-29-2004, 09:03 AM   #14
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

I flew my 1/3 Pitts with 2 standard 148 servos on the elevators, with a servo reverser Y cord, and it worked fine.
I switched to JR4721, and the control was a bit more precise, but nothing major. I let an Unlimited IMAC pilot fly it, and he could not believe they were standard servos until after he landed and looked at them himself.

Standard high-torque servos would be fine on this plane, digitals a bit better. If you decide on non-digitals, just use a reversing Y cord. The digitals Gary has would be an excellent choice, and he could program them for you. You certainly don't need more than those on the elevator.
For your ailerons, if you are using 4 servos, standard torque is fine.
If 2 servos, higher torque is necessary, but extra high torque is not. Choose servos for your ailerons that are more precise and higher speed over extra-high torque.

No offence to any previous post intended, just my opinion based on first-hand experience.

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:09 AM   #15
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Thanks for the input.

I am going with a digital extra high torque on the wings for the precision and my own comfort.

I will give more thought to the offer above in regards to the elevator servos.

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:27 AM   #16
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
I have a Quadro 50 for the kit and when I come straight down from high altitude @ full throttle and I then pull up (level out) at low altitude for as fast as possible low flyby of the field, I want no worries about the strength of the elevator.
Adam, I don't know how much experience you have with giant scale, but if you go straight down vertical at full, or even high throttle, your beautiful Pitts is going to disolve, and the largest servos in the world will not save you.

The good news: a company called "Iron Bay Models" has taken over production of most of the Byron kits, and you may be able to get a replacement!

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
Old 02-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #17
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

I am inexperienced with Giant Scale.

Good info ... i'll take it a little easier than with my Extra.

Thx
Old 03-01-2004, 10:37 AM   #18
simcoeflyer
RCC Junior Contributor

i have a byron christen eagle (byron is now ironbay model company)
i run 2 elevator servos with no reverserbut changed the wires in the 605 hitec servo and works great and mor importantly at the same speed and direction so u might wanna look into that option Mine has a MDS 218 in the front talk about power
Old 03-01-2004, 03:23 PM   #19
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
split elev.

A while ago I bought a y harness from Hobby Hobby in Streetsville (great store ) that reversed the servos and has a little potentiometer so you can get both servos aligned for about 20 bucks. Don't know if they still sell them, but it worked flawlessly for two years in one of my pattern ships. If you are going to spend the bucks on a gas powered plane you might want to spend your money on a decent computer radio whereby this talk of y harnessess is moot. Now I simply mix channel 2 and 7 and reverse one, dial them in and watch the magic!! Ain't technology grand
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:41 PM   #20
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
A while ago I bought a y harness from Hobby Hobby in Streetsville (great store ) that reversed the servos and has a little potentiometer so you can get both servos aligned for about 20 bucks.
That's the one I had mentioned earlier.
It's still working in one of my planes, even though I have a computer radio now and could get by without it.

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in